PDA

View Full Version : Eric Dondero Lied to RedState Today

RonPaulFanInGA
12-26-2011, 10:10 PM
"I've been asked by others if my former boss is an Anti-Semite. My answer is an emphatic NO. I am half Jewish. I am familiar with Anti-Semites. Ron is not one of them."

-Eric Dondero

This quote comes from an otherwise unsympathetic piece authored about Dr. Paul by Dondero back in 2007:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1889318/posts

My name is Eric Dondero Rittberg. For 12 years I worked on and off, mostly on, for Ron Paul. I started on his staff in 1987 during his Libertarian Party Presidential campaign. I served throughout 87 and 88 as his Personal Travel Aide. Ron and I campaigned in over 40 states, including Alaska.

In 1992, I organized Ron's Presidential Exploratory Committee. We operated the effort for about 4 months. We aborted the effort when Pat Buchanan declared for the GOP primaries.

In 1995, Ron agreed to serve as my "boss" as National Chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus.

In 1996, Ron decided to test the waters for a Congressional Campaign. I moved to Texas and served as his Campaign Coordinator. Ron won first in the Primary and then in the General with 51%.

In 1997, Ron hired me as his Senior Aide and District Representative. My job title was to represent the Congressman at all functions throughout the District, to speak in his absence, and to handle all District Scheduling. I was also in charge of Local Governmental relations.

I served in that capacity til February of 2004.

I can honestly say that the Congressman was more than just my boss, he was also my friend. We had a good understanding, after years of working together, and were very good Travel mates. Him and I would literally spend hours in the car traveling from one event to another, during campaigning and for District events. We would debate everything under the sun, in a friendly and fun sort of way. Our differences were always over abortion - I am Pro-Choice, he is firmly Pro-Life, and over foreign policy - I am Pro-Defense, he has always been more Non-interventionist. But we always maintained our friendship.

Then September 11, 2001 hit. My boss, Ron Paul, all of a sudden changed dramatically. Whereas before he was a reasonable non-interventionist, he was now rabidly so.

I must say that Ron always knew how to play the game before 2001. He always campaigned as a die-in-the-wool rock-ribbed Conservative Republican. Coming from the Libertarian Party there was always suspicions about him on this. So, he went the extra mile within the District to allay such concerns.

He also campaigned as a "Bush Republican." I recall two specific events when Ron publicly backed Bush for President, quite enthusiastically; Once during a big GOP dinner in Wharton, and another time during a Bush for President fundraising in Corpus Christi. He also had Bush's photo on the wall at our District Office in Freeport.

I should also note that I personally spoke with Karl Rove twice in 1996. After Ron won the GOP Nomination, mainline Republicans were unsure as to how to treat him. We reached out to the Bush people. After my conversations with Rove, he put out the word to key Houston-area, Austin and Victoria Republicans to back Ron Paul. All of a sudden like a tidal wave all the GOPers came on board our Campaign.

Though privately, Ron leaned non-intervenionist, publicly he was always Pro-Troops, Pro-Veterans, Pro-Defense and quite Patriotic, particularly in his Campaign style.

He made extra sure to attend as many Veteran's events as possible. And when he couldn't go, he would always send me, as the only Vet on staff to represent him. He always made it quite clear that I was to emphasize "my views on foreign policy" more so than his non-interventionist views at such events. And I did.

But after Sept. 11, things changed. He became morose. He became bitter, and quite pessimistic.

I had to literally beg him to support the vote authorizing the President to send Troops to Afghanistan. I actually threatened to resign if he did not vote that way. And another key District Staffer, practically threatened to resign, as well. At the last minute Ron voted in favor of the Authorization. I suspected he only did it, cause he knew if he hadn't he would cause the Republicans in the District to oppose him, and he wouldn't win reelection.

But 9/11 served as a wake up call for me. I started questioning how it is that I could work for such a man.

Before it was always just a fun-loving disagreement; debating in the car from event to event to pass the time.

Now, I saw he was quite serious, and cared even less for how others, even constituents took his views on foreign policy.

Ron and I grew apart. I served as his Travel Aide less and less in 2002/03.

Finally one day in the Summer of 2003, he called on me to accompany him to an event in Victoria. He was acting quite strange in the car. He kept prodding me on foreign policy. I knew he was trying to get me to debate the War in Iraq with him. But I kept my cool the whole trip.

Finally, when we reached Victoria, I made a slight comeback, that I didn't think his particular view on the War was correct. He jumped out of the car and lunged at me. Poking his finger into my chest, he looked me in the eye and said, "I will have nobody working for me on my staff who supports the War in Iraq, even you." I'd only seen this look on Ron maybe once or twice in all my 12 years working for him. He was clearly quite angry with me.

I knew he was trying to provoke me so that he could have justification to fire me. But I kept my cool.

For 6 months after than we didn't speak.

Finally, Chief of Staff Tom Lizardo suggested that Ron and I not talking to each other was not helpful to the "atmosphere" in the District offices. I offered to my friend Tom to resign. We discussed a date, two months out, and a compensation package and I agreed.

I've been asked by others if my former boss is an Anti-Semite. My answer is an emphatic NO. I am half Jewish. I am familiar with Anti-Semites. Ron is not one of them.

But I would say he's very insensitive to issues concerning Israel and for other concerns of Jewish Americans.

Houston Jews were always suspicious of Ron Paul. But Ron could always point to me as his "Jewish Staffer." He would even send me to Synagogues in the District and to Jewish events. But I do remember one time, when a group of Houston Jewish Young Republicans wanted to lobby the Congressman on some issues. I begged Ron to meet with them. He was very hesitant. He finally agreed. But the meeting turned out to be a disaster. The Jewish YRs came all the way from Houston, and all Ron did was berate them in our District Office about how the Israel Lobby was too powerful in Washington, and other issues. He also got defensive when the Jewish YRs expressed concern over Palestinian violence against Israel.

I ran down the hallway after the meeting chasing the group, and apologized profusely to them.

After 9/11 Ron also became much more upfront in his anti-Israel views. He'd even criticize Israel in public speeches which would make me cringe.

Ron Paul and I agree on about 95% of all domestic issues. We disagree on a myriad of foreign policy and defense issues. Still, he was my boss. He was paying me, so I was obligated to toe the line.

This is not why I think less of him today.

Rather, what concerns me most was the fact that for many years he played both sides of the aisle. In the very Conservative South Texas CD, he was always Mr. Red, White, and Blue. If he couldn't make a Veterans event, he made damn sure that his one Vet on staff could go, even if it was just 8 VFW guys meeting for a couple hours 3 hours drive away. Ron was very careful to portray himself in the District as Pro-Troops, and even Pro-Defense.

But after 9/11 and most especially after the War in Iraq, he played up his non-interventionist side to a national audience. This while still keeping the facade of Pro-Troops/Pro-Defense in the District. As late as last year I got a constituent mailing from RP with 4 pages of nothing but Patriotic/Pro-Troops/Pro-Veterans information from the Congressional office. I suspect the reason why RP has gone south on foreign policy for the national audience is simple: To gain more dollars from a National fundraising base, and to gain more National media attention from Liberal media sources.

In closing let me just say, that I don't believe his views represent the views of Congressional District 14 any more. The District, which I live in, is quite considerably more Conservative of foreign policy/defense issues than Ron Paul.

I would endorse Chris Peden, or some other Republican candidate other than Ron Paul for this seat.

Student Of Paulism
12-26-2011, 10:13 PM
He didnt really lie, from what i read. He said outright that he is none of those things, but that he is OUT OF TOUCH with jewish and other ethnic cultures, etc. So yea, the new smear campaign is 'he is not a racist' but might have racist tendencies now :rolleyes:

muh_roads
12-26-2011, 10:14 PM
He didnt really lie, from what i read. He said outright that he is none of those things, but that he is OUT OF TOUCH with jewish and other ethnic cultures, etc. So yea, the new smear campaign is 'he is not a racist' but might have racist tendencies now :rolleyes:

Go read red states version again. They did lie.

Nice find OP.

affa
12-26-2011, 10:18 PM
this post makes it sound like that statement is a lie.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
this post makes it sound like that statement is a lie.

Not unless you think "today" and "back in 2007" are synonymous.

Paulitics 2011
12-26-2011, 10:28 PM
This article doesn't make sense. Since when are pro-troops and non-interventionist not the same? (Out of neocons' dream-worlds)

james1906
12-26-2011, 10:56 PM
He berates lobbyists? Hell yeah!

Blue
12-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Fifteen minutes of fame.

wgadget
12-26-2011, 11:00 PM
He says he resigned. I thought he was fired. More lies?

LibertyEagle
12-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Paul has always been strong on national defense.

He has always been a friend to our veterans and troops.

Dondero's statement about he being the token Jew was ridiculous. One of Dr. Paul's best friends was Murray Rothbard. A Jew. Not to mention the fact that Paul's interest in Austrian economics and Nixon's closing of the gold window was why he first ran for Congress. Austrian economics was brought to America by Ludwig von Mises. Another Jew.

:rolleyes:

Eric21ND
12-26-2011, 11:05 PM
He was fired for beating his wife.

eleganz
12-26-2011, 11:08 PM

explanation?

qh4dotcom
12-26-2011, 11:10 PM

"I will have nobody working for me on my staff who supports the War in Iraq, even you."

Dianne
12-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Why are we giving any credit to anything this : Eric Dondero says. I don't know who the dude is... have no clue what he is about. Although whoever he is, he's a complete idiot... but is he a person who actually matters in the scheme of things?

LibertyEagle
12-26-2011, 11:12 PM
"I will have nobody working for me on my staff who supports the War in Iraq, even you."

That is Dondero's statement and I take what he says with a grain of salt. He has proven himself to be an habitual liar.

muh_roads
12-26-2011, 11:18 PM

Found some reference to go on here with that.

http://lastfreevoice.wordpress.com/2007/06/01/has-eric-dondero-rittberg-stopped-beating-his-wife/

Paul broke ties with him because he was a sleazy Karl Rove type who smeared people.

KingNothing
12-26-2011, 11:18 PM
explanation?

The rumors are that he had a long and horrific history of beating his wife, and I think he also may have had a horrendous drinking problem. Further, he's just a ridiculous liar who has claimed off-the-wall things like he speaks 20 different languages.

You know how people say Ron Paul supporters are insane? ...well... that those people are now turning to Eric Dondero.... kinda ironic. I think he might actually have deep psychological problems.

Expatriate
12-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Why are we giving any credit to anything this : Eric Dondero says. I don't know who the dude is... have no clue what he is about. Although whoever he is, he's a complete idiot... but is he a person who actually matters in the scheme of things?

The press gives him lots of time to spout his nonsense as a "former aide" as if knows the innermost thoughts inside RP's head or something.

He's a disgruntled (fired) former employee of Ron Paul, who then ran against Dr. Paul for his congressional seat and was utterly annihilated.

He gets his jollies now by making vague implications that Ron Paul is somehow slightly racist, antisemitic or believes in "conspiracy theories".

Meanwhile, he flings ethnic slurs such as "paki" around in the headlines of articles he publishes on his website. See:
NEWS FROM OVERSEAS!! BRITISH PATRIOT TOMMY ROBINSON ATTACKED BY GANG OF PAKIS (http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2011/12/news-from-overseas-british-loyalist.html)

Oh, and he's a former Cain supporter, now a "Libertarian for Mitt"
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?342444-Eric-Dondero-quot-I-am-a-former-Cain-supporter-now-a-Libertarian-for-Mitt!-quot

coastie
12-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Found some reference to go on here with that.

http://lastfreevoice.wordpress.com/2007/06/01/has-eric-dondero-rittberg-stopped-beating-his-wife/

Paul broke ties with him because he was a sleazy Karl Rove type who smeared people.

Hmmm...I wouldn't really count that as a reliable source on this, it offers no evidence, either.

heavenlyboy34
12-26-2011, 11:37 PM

Dondero's statement about he being the token Jew was ridiculous. One of Dr. Paul's best friends was Murray Rothbard. A Jew. Not to mention the fact that Paul's interest in Austrian economics and Nixon's closing of the gold window was why he first ran for Congress. Austrian economics was brought to America by Ludwig von Mises. Another Jew.

This^^ RP understands the difference between "national defense" and waging war on the world/empire building-something lost on all too many people nowadays.

sailingaway
12-26-2011, 11:40 PM

He was fired. Ron said so to Weigel. Who do you believe? Everything else Dondero says is lies....

Dondero is the go to guy for people who hate Ron Paul. His hatred of Ron Paul is everywhere for anyone to find. He is an incredibly biased source.

sailingaway
12-26-2011, 11:41 PM
explanation?

he was joking. Bad joke though.

sailingaway
12-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Hmmm...I wouldn't really count that as a reliable source on this, it offers no evidence, either.

sigh, well maybe it wasn't a joke, but I agree, you have to take unsourced internet rumors with care.

Eric21ND
12-27-2011, 12:20 AM
explanation?
I remember reading an article in 2007 that mentioned Paul fired him for beating his wife and personal issues. He clearly hasn't moved on from this for 5+ years so its obvious he has severe psychological issues.

torchbearer
12-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Libertarians for Lenin/Pol Pot ftw!

eleganz
12-27-2011, 12:30 AM
I remember reading an article in 2007 that mentioned Paul fired him for beating his wife and personal issues. He clearly hasn't moved on from this for 5+ years so its obvious he has severe psychological issues.

Is it this?

Let's dig!

http://pauliecannoli.wordpress.com/2007/06/01/has-eric-dondero-rittberg-stopped-beating-his-wife/

helmuth_hubener
12-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Why are we giving any credit to anything this : Eric Dondero says. I don't know who the dude is... have no clue what he is about. Although whoever he is, he's a complete idiot... but is he a person who actually matters in the scheme of things? He is indeed a complete idiot, and no, he has no significance whatsoever.

Fredom101
12-27-2011, 12:44 AM
All of this is just a desperate attempt to take down RP. We know it won't work, so probably best to just ignore the media nonsense. Really annoying that Cenk has jumped on this and is acting like Dondero should just have instant credibility, forget investigating anything. But, Cenk is just another part of the establishment, he will fade with yesterday's news soon.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-27-2011, 12:49 AM
He is indeed a complete idiot, and no, he has no significance whatsoever.

Which should show you just what straws RedState and the Weekly Standard will grasp at.

gyrmnix
12-27-2011, 02:49 AM
He is indeed a complete idiot, and no, he has no significance whatsoever.

The worst part about the newsletters is that it makes Dondero think he has any relevance. How anybody can simply ignore his obvious conflict of interest is beyond me.

devil21
12-27-2011, 03:02 AM
About the rest of the article:

Even if RP didn't want to vote for the resolution, he had to. I don't like him compromising his principles but the political realities of that time were staggering. The propaganda was non-stop, remember? Assuming what Dondero says is true (unlikely), that is definitely one of the few times Ill give Ron a pass. He's a hell of a politician and he doesn't get enough credit for it. He's just not as corruptable as the others. That he didn't want to vote for the resolution and again was uniquely prescient by calling out what was going to happen elevates RP to a new level in my mind. Compromise? Sure. He doesn't need to be perfect, he just needs to continue to be right.

FU Eric.

jer4liberty
12-27-2011, 03:57 AM
This is what I posted in the other Eric thread...:

Eric use to search his name on google and would magically appear wherever his name would show up. For some odd reason he showed up in my Myspace political group years ago, which I later found out that it was showing up in results. Anyways, he began to troll the group because the majority of the group (although it was a politically diverse group) were Paul supporters. He would constantly post anti-Paul posts. Would troll other members who supported Paul. He was banned for cussing out a couple members. He went so far as spamming the group with anti-Paul posts after being banned once, including the newsletter stuff. He has sonic searching skills when it comes to his name.

Eric is a child and he knows it.

devil21
12-27-2011, 04:09 AM
This is what I posted in the other Eric thread...:

Eric is a child and he knows it.

The next smear campaign will be "Why did Ron Paul employ an idiot for so long? News at 11."

unknown
12-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Though privately, Ron leaned non-intervenionist, publicly he was always Pro-Troops, Pro-Veterans, Pro-Defense and quite Patriotic, particularly in his Campaign style.

Since when are these mutually exclusive...

If one is "Pro-Troops, Pro-Veterans, Pro-Defense and quite Patriotic", you can only be non-interventionist.

He made extra sure to attend as many Veteran's events as possible.

Maybe because he's a Veteran?

jer4liberty
12-27-2011, 05:22 AM
It wouldn't be the media if they had it any other way. Spin masters will find a way, they always do. Eric is just a bitter little man though.

Chester Copperpot
12-27-2011, 05:56 AM

Keynesians are anti-semites.

Xenophage
12-27-2011, 06:34 AM
This is the guy who said recently that he is now a "Libertarian for Mitt (Romney)!" Such a statement is so ludicrous that I think anything else he says is probably also bullshit.

milo10
12-27-2011, 06:35 AM
The rumors are that he had a long and horrific history of beating his wife, and I think he also may have had a horrendous drinking problem. Further, he's just a ridiculous liar who has claimed off-the-wall things like he speaks 20 different languages.

You know how people say Ron Paul supporters are insane? ...well... that those people are now turning to Eric Dondero.... kinda ironic. I think he might actually have deep psychological problems.

Someone has to do a video on that. The best would be someone who knew Dondero for years, but is not formally involved with Ron's campaign right now.

In any case, I didn't read Dondero's piece there and come away thinking less of Ron Paul. More the opposite.

scrosnoe
12-27-2011, 08:33 AM
There are some really vicious emails circulating in some Republican and Independent circles that do not name the fellow -- just say former aide:

I am wondering if a 'canned reply' to this sort of thing would be helpful for people.

here is my first cut from a combination of Expatriate comments above as well as LibertyEagle's comment too-- additional suggestions welcomed!:

========================

Dear [sender of email spouting lies],

As Ron Paul rises in the polls and in the hearts of the people as the Champion of the Constitution and the defender of Liberty, naturally the 'establishment attacks' increase. Power never goes down easily and they would ilke to continue to fleece the sheep if WE let them!

If you receive a slur on Ron's character from a 'former aide' then you should know that he has a name and he was fired in 2007 and he is a little disgruntled and seems to have a propensity for lies about the good doctor.

The press gives him lots of time to spout his nonsense as a "former aide" as if knows the innermost thoughts inside RP's head or something.

He's a disgruntled (fired) former employee of Ron Paul, who then ran against Dr. Paul for his congressional seat and was utterly annihilated.

He gets his jollies now by making vague implications that Ron Paul is somehow slightly racist, antisemitic or believes in "conspiracy theories".

Meanwhile, he flings ethnic slurs such as "paki" around in the headlines of articles he publishes on his website. See:
NEWS FROM OVERSEAS!! BRITISH PATRIOT TOMMY ROBINSON ATTACKED BY GANG OF PAKIS (http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2011/12/news-from-overseas-british-loyalist.html)

Oh, and he's a former Cain supporter, now a "Libertarian for Mitt"
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...for-Mitt!-quot

H (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?342444-Eric-Dondero-quot-I-am-a-former-Cain-supporter-now-a-Libertarian-for-Mitt!-quot)is name is Eric Dondero. Just so you know the real story whether you choose to believe it or not.

For Life and Liberty,
a Ron Paul supporter

wgadget
12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Anyone else having trouble commenting on the Daily Caller crap article? Won't let me post.