PDA

View Full Version : If Ron Paul wins in Iowa, does that make the state irrelevant? (another hit piece?)

CaptainAmerica
12-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Some Republicans worry that if Ron Paul wins in Iowa, the state will be seen as ridiculous for backing a fringe candidate. But others say it would be a 'victory for retail politics in Iowa.'

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/content/2011/1223_ronpaul/11316488-1-eng-US/1223_RonPaul_full_380.jpg

While the national headlines have swirled in recent days around the troublesome, racist newsletters in Rep. Ron Paul’s past, the candidate himself has continued his formidable ground campaign in Iowa, where he’s at the head of the pack in recent polls.However his lead there, along with a strong showing in New Hampshire, is prompting alarm in some Republican corners. If Iowa delivers a win for Mr. Paul, some pundits are warning, the state will be seen as ridiculous – as fringe as the libertarian-leaning Paul is in many mainstream Republican eyes.

“If Paul wins Iowa, Iowa relegates itself to almost complete and total political obscurity,” says Patrick Griffin, an unaligned GOP strategist and senior fellow at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics at St. Anselm College in Manchester.

Election 101: Ten things to know about Ron Paul

Iowa conservative radio talk show host Sam Clovis said recently, “I am not sure that [a Paul victory] is in the best interests of the state ... because I don’t think he is going to get any traction the rest of the way,” according to Newsmax.com.

But there’s a counternarrative too, one that argues that Iowa’s relevance isn’t based on picking the person most likely to become the nominee for president – for which it already has a poor track record – but on showing, through its caucus system, who the favorite is among committed partisans in the state.

If Paul wins, “it’s a victory for retail politics in Iowa,” says David Peterson, a political science professor at Iowa State University in Ames. Besides being first, “what makes [Iowa] relevant is that it winnows the field,” providing a graceful place for candidates to exit if they do poorly, he says.

Paul’s campaign has been organizing support in the state for years, and he seems to be picking up more voters along the way as his small-government message connects with their disgust over Washington gridlock, and national debt.

“Ron Paul is a serious candidate ... [who has] spent days on end in both New Hampshire and Iowa, developed significant organizations in each state, and has respected officials involved in his campaign. If [he] does well in either state it simply illustrates the importance of working hard to earn votes in the early contests,” writes Michael Dennehy, an unaligned GOP strategist in New Hampshire, in an e-mail to the Monitor.

Even if Paul can’t win the GOP nomination, his strong performance in some states pushes other candidates to take parts of his message seriously, political experts say.

The conversation about how relevant early states like Iowa are if they aren’t more representative of the mainstream views comes up to some degree with each presidential election cycle.

But it’s perhaps more pronounced this time because Iowa has become more conservative, with a stronger Christian-conservative element, and “establishment Republicans would say that moves them further away from the center, further away from independent voters, and further away from electibility [of their top choice],” says Wayne Lesperance Jr., a political science professor at New England College in Henniker, N.H.

Like the argument between voting with your heart or your head, Professor Lesperance says, the establishment argues, “We can nominate someone with a point of view ... or we can nominate someone who can beat Obama,” and the latter is the priority.

But the “Iowa may be crazy” narrative could also be a strategic attempt by Romney supporters to dampen expectations so that if he doesn’t win in Iowa, it won’t be viewed as a huge disappointment – and any bump that Paul or another winning candidate might get could be mitigated, says Professor Peterson.

RealClearPolitics shows Paul with 23.8 percent support in Iowa among likely caucus participants, Romney with 20.3 and Gingrich with 17.3 in its average as of Dec. 19.

It’s too early for polls to reflect whether the stories this week about Paul’s controversial newsletters are biting into his support in Iowa or elsewhere.

But it’s unlikely, Peterson says. “The thing about Ron Paul supporters is they are deeply committed ... and if you have decided to back someone and you hear something negative, you’ll counterargue for him in your head.”
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/President/2011/1223/If-Ron-Paul-wins-in-Iowa-does-that-make-the-state-irrelevant

I think the title itself of this article infers that Ron is fringe and that Iowa should be dismissed if he wins.We know the media will dismiss Iowa if he wins.

Steve-in-NY
12-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Few problems w that. One, the newsletters weren't racist. There were some racist remarks in them. That's a big difference even considering Paul didn't write them. Two, Iowa has something like a 63% ratio for picking presidents so Idk what about that is a poor record.
Third, voters ALWAYS matter. Period.

Now allow my lil rant. Paul represents change. I and hundreds of thousands of others will not hold their nose and vote for the lesser of two evils or whoever the establishment has forced down or throats.
A perfect example was Obama and mccain. Both are traitors in my eyes, mccain for drafting and pushing for the ndaa and Obama for signing it into law. That bill alones proves there is no difference between r and d anymore. None.
Paul is this countries last chance to make a peaceful stand against the corruption and worse that infests this country.
The world is watching and depending on us at this point. It's not only us anymore, literally everything may be on the line.
Just vote and be damn sure they will try to marginalize or downright remove your vote to suit their needs.

mrsat_98
12-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Of course Iowa will be irrelevant if Ron Wins it. 1 down 49 to go.

Libertea Party
12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
If Ron Paul wins in Iowa,that DOES make The State (http://www.libertarianstandard.com/2010/05/03/the-nature-of-the-state-and-why-libertarians-hate-it/) irrelevant!

"I mean by [the "State"] that summation of privileges and dominating positions which are brought into being by extra economic power. And in contrast to this, I mean by Society, the totality of concepts of all purely natural relations and institutions between man and man …. [from the Introduction]

There are two fundamentally opposed means whereby man, requiring sustenance, is impelled to obtain the necessary means for satisfying his desires. These are work and robbery, one’s own labor and the forcible appropriation of the labor of others. … I propose … to call one’s own labor and the equivalent exchange of one’s own labor for the labor of others “the economic means” for the satisfaction of needs, while the unrequited appropriation of the labor of others will be called the “political means.” … The state is an organization of the political means."

liberty2897
12-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Paul represents change. I and hundreds of thousands of others will not hold their nose and vote for the lesser of two evils or whoever the establishment has forced down or throats.
A perfect example was Obama and mccain. Both are traitors in my eyes, mccain for drafting and pushing for the ndaa and Obama for signing it into law. That bill alones proves there is no difference between r and d anymore. None.
Paul is this countries last chance to make a peaceful stand against the corruption and worse that infests this country.
The world is watching and depending on us at this point. It's not only us anymore, literally everything may be on the line.
Just vote and be damn sure they will try to marginalize or downright remove your vote to suit their needs.

100% truth.

Zippyjuan
12-26-2011, 04:21 PM
As the article points out, the state is not usually that relevant to the final outcome anyways- no matter who wins. But it can certainly indicate momentum. Gingrich may be the leading alternative to Romney at the moment but he has limited money and is not on the ballot in quite a few upcoming state which will hurt him. Ron has more money and better organization. It is a marathon race- not a sprint through Iowa. And since any leader will be the target of attacks, you don't want to be out in front too early but hanging close with a strong finish.