PDA

View Full Version : Discussions with my Mother-in-Law

CaptUSA
12-26-2011, 11:53 AM
My mother-in-law is visiting our house for the holidays. She knows who I'm supporting so she actually tried to convert ME! We started having a chicken-and-the-egg type of conversation. I thought you guys might enjoy the way this went.

Her: The Republican party needs to unite behind a candidate and the Ron Paul people are messing everything up.

Me: I think it's the republican party that's messing things up because they're not paying attention to which candidate has the most energetic support.

Her: Will you vote for anyone else.

Me: Probably not. (Actually, there's no way I will, but I didn't want to isolate her.) I told her I'd have to seriously consider writing in Ron Paul.

Her: The worst thing that can happen is if the republicans get split and Obama ends up being re-elected.

Me: I agree! That's why the GOP needs to get on board!

Her: Maybe it's the Ron Paul people need to get on board.

At this point, I could tell we were going to go around in circles so I flipped the conversation on her.

Me: Look, the establishment GOP and the Ron Paul supporters have different priorities, but they don't have to be mutually exclusive. They want to defeat Obama and maybe get a larger majority in the House, and maybe win the Senate. They want to win the power back. We want to return the power to the people. We want to fix the problems with the country. We don't care about which party does it, we just want things fixed.

Her: The GOP wants things fixed, too. But they have to get the power back to do it.

Me: Then that's why we need to elect Ron Paul. Because if he wins, we both get our priorities met. There'll be a united GOP and there'll be an army of people doing everything they can to make sure the right people get elected. We'll have an energized base of support larger than we've ever seen! The Republicans will win the House, Senate, and the Presidency, and we'll actually be able to fix the country! If Romney wins, a huge segment of the base will be let down, the status quo will remain in the House and Senate, and even if he squeaks by in the general election and wins the Presidency, nothing will change. We'll keep all the spending, we'll keep wasting all this money overseas, big government will get even bigger, and instead of people blaming the deomcrats, the republicans will get all the blame for the mess.

Her: Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

Me: So that's why we need Ron Paul. If he gets in we both get what we want! If it's anyone else, it's a disaster. And you can't blame the Ron Paul supporters for that, you'd have to blame the GOP establishment that benefits from big government. They're the ones who are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. Not us.

Her: I hope you're right. I don't think they'll stop attacking him, though.

Me: Well, as long as their attacks don't work on you, we have a chance. He's going to win Iowa, and hopefully people will start to wake up. Once people wake up to Ron Paul, they never go back. You should see why. Check him out on Youtube. You'll see why he's so right and why so many of use are so excited about the chance we have here!

Her: I'll do that.

I think this went pretty well. I think I fought through all the establishment BS she's been hearing. She's from Virginia which could be a pivotal state. If any of you start playing the chicken and egg game, I suggest you turn it into this. If it's anyone else, the republicans lose and then we start blaming eachother for why we lost. If Ron Paul is the nominee, we both get what we want!

Pyruuub
12-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Why didn't you say the GOP screwed us in the ass when Bush was in office. They're not going to save anybody. Only Ron Paul will.

georgiaboy
12-26-2011, 12:39 PM
well done, Capt! GOP nominates Paul, else Obama-lite. Paul nomination = Paul presidency. Obama-lite nomination = Obama presidency.

CaptUSA
12-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Why didn't you say the GOP screwed us in the ass when Bush was in office. They're not going to save anybody. Only Ron Paul will.That may feel good to say, but it's not going to win over the people we need to win the nomination.