PDA

View Full Version : Want to fight back? Here's how: National Boycott the MSM Day

Patriot123
12-25-2011, 11:20 PM
I just got this idea tonight, and I think this is how we fight back. We have sat here for far too long without going on the offensive. The MSM has ignored Paul, they have attempted to discredit him, and they have slandered him. It's time we fought back.

Think about it. Ron Paul has the support of at least 10% of the nation as of now. Imagine a boycott of the MSM by 10% of the country. The effect this would have on the MSM?
1) Financially. A boycott means we refuse to visit their websites on a given day. It means we don't watch their stations. And it means we flood their phone lines and email boxes. End result? No ad revenue.
2) Psychologically. It would show them how powerful we truly are, and how we are truly a force to be reckoned with.
3) Logically. The media is a business. If they see that the base of their clientele is now against them, they'll logically want to change their policy.
4) This would benefit the campaign if done exclusively through grassroots. How? It would make them change their tune, and fast. Most importantly, it would make them afraid of us.

This would have far reaching effects across the nation. It would say to the MSM, "we're sick and tired of your lies, and we're not going to take it anymore." It would say it to them through the best means possible -- through their wallets. If they have just one single day where they have massive financial losses, they will listen. They will most undoubtedly listen. We own them, not the other way around. "The customer is always right," some would say. This is most absolutely true in our case -- the media does not rule us, and we will prove it to them.

I'm all for this idea, and I'm all for being a part of it if we're able to get a real team together to make this happen. Thoughts? Suggestions?

wowrevolution
12-25-2011, 11:23 PM
The MSM is funded by limitless loans from the Federal Reserve through its sponsors who enjoy bank bailouts and limitless money supply. Boycotting them isn't going to do anything.

Patriot123
12-25-2011, 11:28 PM
I disagree. All of their money must come from advertising. That's how they make their money -- ads. Why do you think radio stations and television networks are so sensitive if companies choose to pull their ads? Because that's their lifeline. If companies pull their advertising, the broadcasting companies go bankrupt. Simple as that. So we're going to metaphorically pull their ads for them, and see how they like it.

frickettz
12-25-2011, 11:32 PM
I disagree. All of their money must come from advertising. That's how they make their money -- ads. Why do you think radio stations and television networks are so sensitive if companies choose to pull their ads? Because that's their lifeline. If companies pull their advertising, the broadcasting companies go bankrupt. Simple as that. So we're going to metaphorically pull their ads for them, and see how they like it.

I'm afraid there are probably other forces at work behind the MSM. They probably get funded by big business behind the scenes too.

JasonM
12-25-2011, 11:38 PM
What you do is, you increase ratings for positive reporting while you change the channel every time you hear something negative. Reward good behavior whenever possible. When advertisers see that positive Ron Paul reporting is good for business, they will start demanding more of it. Simple as that.

socal
12-25-2011, 11:38 PM
The MSM has been losing viewership for some time. I don't have a television and haven't subscribed to cable or purchased a newspaper for over a decade. I don't understand why people here are willing to support them financially.

The_Ruffneck
12-25-2011, 11:40 PM
The MSM has been losing viewership for some time. I don't have a television and haven't subscribed to cable or purchased a newspaper for over a decade. I don't understand why people here are willing to support them financially.
Point taken but the MSM news websites are still some of the most popular on the web.
BBC , CNN , FOX , MSNBC are all right up there on alexa ratings.

JasonM
12-25-2011, 11:41 PM

Part of the reason is because sometimes when people rent, the cable is a mandatory part of the rent payment. That is the situation i'm in right now, and there is nothing i can do about it.

dbill27
12-26-2011, 12:00 AM
The MSM is funded by limitless loans from the Federal Reserve through its sponsors who enjoy bank bailouts and limitless money supply. Boycotting them isn't going to do anything.

This just isn't true. On a side note though, as for boycotting media, it has much more to do with publicly advertising those that advertise on certain media and boycotting them. The stations will have to follow the money. Mediamatters did indeed get glenn beck off of fox by going after advertisers. In the last few months of glenns show, the only commercials were end of the world companies, power generators, physical gold, food preservation, etc.

wealeat
12-26-2011, 12:26 AM
http://www.seemslegit.com/_images/5346422cea7489a4684aa42b8f217c38/346%20-%20horrible%20idea%20office-space.jpg

McDermit
12-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Useless. You need to remember that no one knows what you watch on tv unless you are an active Nielson's household. No box installed or viewing survey? Your boycott is irrelevent.

milo10
12-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Hey OP, you got a lot of negative feedback that is unwarranted. It's a great idea, but I would take it further. Rather than make it for one day, start a big project or multiple projects pushing news alternatives to the MSM.

The boycott of specific shows and so forth is good as well. There are a lot of creative things we can do. Remember the Hanoi Jane Urinal Stickers (https://www.google.com/search?q=hanoi+jane+urinal+target&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=uRr4TrrPNMrqtge5j_nQBg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CB0Q_AUoAQ&biw=2172&bih=1417) that were popular with veterans? Making stuff like that for Dick Morris would be really funny. :D

The Free Hornet
12-26-2011, 01:09 AM

Half the money is ads and about half the money is subscription revenue (cable, satellite). I believe cancelling cable/dish has the most immediate affect.

Useless. You need to remember that no one knows what you watch on tv unless you are an active Nielson's household. No box installed or viewing survey? Your boycott is irrelevent.

True, but once you start patronizing other outlets, you start linking to them and referencing them. Now, people want to know what Jerry Doyle is saying. The forum home page is my news stream, first and foremost.

Crickett
12-26-2011, 01:10 AM
I like the idea. Liked it as soon as I heard it. NO clicks for ONE or two days. NO viewing. (We can always "catch up", but it will skew their totals for the month). We can watch local news and Drudge or something, but NO clicks on any videos..I think it would hurt them, myself.

gerryb
12-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Boycott the advertisers products.

I don't watch MSM, boycotting them would be entirely pointless.

ryanmkeisling
12-26-2011, 02:13 AM

Better yet; most products have question/comment !-800 lines in the fine print of their products, if we were to pick certain advertisers/products and collectively target them by making calls voicing the intent to boycott this could be very effective in reducing advertising revenue. I don't have a TV anymore so I don't know who advertises where but I will make some phone calls. If we were to target some of the products being advertised on say Bill O'reilly's show and start making hundreds of calls to them saying we intend to boycott their products because of their financial support this could have major effects on his show.

The_Ruffneck
12-26-2011, 03:30 AM

just do all your shopping online , it's far easier to buy higher quality goods and avoid the slave made stuff that infests the bricks and mortar locations

Patriot123
12-26-2011, 01:33 PM
I like the idea. Liked it as soon as I heard it. NO clicks for ONE or two days. NO viewing. (We can always "catch up", but it will skew their totals for the month). We can watch local news and Drudge or something, but NO clicks on any videos..I think it would hurt them, myself.
Exactly. Better yet, we could even change the scheme to get even more support. We could do a theme of something like, "tell the mainstream media to stop promoting character assassinations of politicians, and instead focus on the issues." We then could give examples of not only Ron Paul, but Newt Gingrich as well, and any other candidates. It could be a really across-the-board type of thing that really tells the media, "we're the citizens, we'll pick our own candidate, thank you very much."

Is there anyone who might be willing to code such a website?

muh_roads
12-26-2011, 01:39 PM
I've been boycotting the MSM since 2005. Canceled my cable subscription ages ago and did not sign on for satellite or anything else.

If you want to hurt the media. Go after their sponsors. Surprised a comprehensive list hasn't been made yet.

rodo1776
12-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Boycott is ok but hows about we spend our energy now winning Iowa with 38%, then taking out Mitt in Nh etc etc etc. Win the nomination and the election.

That would cauase multiple myocardial infarctions in the MSM and be even more satisfying.

Simple
12-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Better yet; most products have question/comment !-800 lines in the fine print of their products, if we were to pick certain advertisers/products and collectively target them by making calls voicing the intent to boycott this could be very effective in reducing advertising revenue. I don't have a TV anymore so I don't know who advertises where but I will make some phone calls. If we were to target some of the products being advertised on say Bill O'reilly's show and start making hundreds of calls to them saying we intend to boycott their products because of their financial support this could have major effects on his show.

I saw some of this on Reddit. They had a list of Bill O'Reilly's advertisers to boycott and they were asking people to call them just to tie up their lines and cost them more on call centers. They call it an active boycott. Here is one of many posts on the subject:

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/nqnyi/active_boycott_vs_passive_boycott_get_involved_by/

/R/ACTIVEBOYCOTT is up! Join the discussion and raise some awareness. At this point it’s just about spreading the idea.
Passive-boycotting: someone proposes we not buy or endorse a product and hopefully the company will notice. While this can sometimes be effective, it usually flies under the corporate radar and is ignored.
Active-boycotting involves not only refusing to buy the products of a company, but also CALLING AND KEEPING THEM ON THE LINE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.
Corporate call centers can have high costs; employee training, computer maintenance, power, phone lines, internet, etc. Keeping them on the line for just an hour a week can cost a company upwards of $500! Also, by tying up their lines, we make it a lot more difficult for the call center to actually service their regular customers. This means we can cost them even more money through lost business!
We can target corporations that endorse SOPA and NDAA, or even target the MSM pundits' sponsors. For example; here is a list of Bill O'Reilly Sponsors.
If enough people call and complain about the company sponsoring SOPA, or NDAA, or the pundit, the advertiser will eventually be unable to stomach the costs of our efforts, and drop their support.
After a pundit loses a few sponsors, they'll get the message and cover whatever topics the public want them to cover. (O'Reilly is just an example, you get the message.)
Call, email, fax; contact them multiple times a day. The more we clog their system, the harder we make it for them to do business as usual. Here is an extended list of SOPA supporters and of PIPA supporters. Feel free to discuss strategies and priorities in /r/activeboycott.
TL;DR If we call/email/fax corporations for just an hour a week, we can cost them so much that, even with a small numbers of callers, they'll be forced to listen and respond.

Muwahid
12-26-2011, 01:51 PM
This idea is about as good as boycotting Google.

tbone717
12-26-2011, 01:55 PM
99% of boycotts have no impact on the company being boycotted.

sailingaway
12-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I think we need to do the opposite. Do a twitter, facebook, comments swarm of positive stuff on Ron. Not fight on the ground they have chosen, they have nothing 'conclusive' they are just trying to wear down the good feeling about Ron. Remind people why he is special. Fighting for civil liberties and against indefinite detention and the Patriot Act, uplifting stuff. The reasons we support him.

PastaRocket848
12-26-2011, 02:09 PM
boycotts: the absolute most ineffective way to accomplish anything, ever.

boycotts are much like what i like to call "hippy feel good legislation" like environmental laws and what not: accomplishes nothing at all to solve the problem it intended to address, but damn it sure make you feel better about yourself ;).

opinionatedfool
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I agree with sailingaway. What we have been doing is exactly what they want us to do. If newt is behind this, he is probably using zun tzu's tactic of creating a diversion so we lose focus our main objectives. (Newt is known for study of zun tzu's methods). We need to keep positive about Ron Paul and ignore the msm attacks.

craezie
12-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Every day is boycott the MSM day at my house!

Seriously, though, boycotts never work. Really almost nothing has ever been achieved this way. Instead you should be educating people against the MSM, which is how we have been gaining supporters in the first place.

fisharmor
12-26-2011, 06:22 PM
I had over-air broadcast only from 2002-April 2010.
After the digital switch I only used it to watch RT, NHK World, and occasionally Al Jazeera.
Before the house got re-sided last spring I had to take it down.
I have not put it back up.
I actually do miss the human interest pieces on RT and NHK.

When I watch something from Fox News, I feel something akin to what one must feel watching a donkey show. I can see why people plug into it, but for the love of God, WHY?

In my house, every day is "boycott the MSM day".

jept22
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=gerryb;3903328]Boycott the advertisers products.QUOTE]

Let the sponsors of MSM know you're not going to purchase their product because they're on MSM. If TARGET runs an ad during Bill O'Reilly, shoot an email out to TARGET stating you won't step foot inside their store because of their ad on FOX (or any other network). Do it with all of their sponsors.

cartemj06
01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
The way that you do this is you get a list of sponsors, you call and flood the sponsors with the threat that you will boycott their product for continued business with the offending MSM network unless they offending MSM network gives in to your demand of fair coverage for RP.

Rule number one: don't let this detract from concentrating on the campaign
Rule number two: You never take action in something like this unless you can win. if you lose you not only discourage your participants but you also make yourself look weaker. The MSM would have a feild day with reporting on the RP boycott fail. Unless we can do a lot more research this idea is not ready for action