San Francisco for Democracy Federal Action: Straw Poll 11/07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c_V9a1nTKg

November 8, 2007

1st Place: Rep. Dennis Kucinich
2nd Place: Rep. Ron Paul

3rd Place: Sen. Barrack Obama
4th Place: Sen. John Edwards
5th Place: Gov. Bill Richardson
Tied for 6th place, Hillary Clinton and Al Gore.

Due to a remarkable showing of support for 2008 U.S. Presidential candidates largely ignored by the mainstream media, outspoken Representative Dennis Kucinich, a Democrat from Ohio, and Ron Paul, the anti-war Republican from Texas received the most votes in Wednesday night's San Francisco for Democracy - Straw Poll, followed by Senator Barrack Obama from Chicago.

San Francisco for Democracy rose to prominence with Howard Dean's groundbreaking web campaign in 2004. Their mission is "to promote social welfare and restore citizens' ownership of [our] democracy by mobilizing grassroots participation in the community."

Candidate representatives responded to questions regarding the war, economy, healthcare, gay rights and immigration in front of a traditionally liberal Bay Area audience.

Hillary Clinton, who receives more campaign contributions from defense industry contractors than any other candidate, did not have a representative in attendance. Although conventional wisdom says Hillary should be a lock for liberal Northern California, her showing in the straw poll may indicate something more ominous is afoot for the hawkish Senator's chance at the White House.

Hillary Clinton tied for last place with former Vice President Al Gore. Al Gore did not provide representation for the forum either. Both candidates received laughter from the mostly liberal audience when they tied for last place in the poll.

It is unclear whether tradional San Francisco liberals are now leaving Clinton due her to embrace of the arms industry for campaign cash, or if the über left have traveled full circle and are drawn toward the peaceful message espoused by Kucinich or the simplicity of Paul's transparent record of adhering to the Constitution. Either way, such a strong showing by a pro-peace Republican in the progressive heart of America may be a sign of things to come.

With Clinton's support eroding from her base and the majority of the GOP in a downward spiral, the voters are realizing that a real change is possible, if not mandatory. The alleged "two-party" system is being revealed as one big party without discourse.

According to attendee John Lilly, Republican, "We'd really like to have some kind of opposition to these candidates who espouse killing. War, abortion, death penalty. What are some of these candidates thinking? "When word gets out that even the most liberal San Francisco hippie-voters are laughing at Hillary and Gore's loss tonight, I think more people across the country may start to open their minds to a new message."

(Discrete camera shot - sorry about the quality)

Adamsa
11-08-2007, 05:14 PM
The heck is Paul on there for?

...Stange... :P

Tina
11-08-2007, 05:16 PM

I believe that was a poll that you could write a candidate in

risiusj
11-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Write-ins?

schmeisser
11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Not a "Democratic" party straw poll:

Mission of San Francisco for Democracy
San Francisco for Democracy is an inclusive community committed to the values underlying our democracy &emdash; equal opportunity, civil rights, a healthy environment, fiscal responsibility, affordable health care, quality education, and social justice for all Americans &emdash; and peace and security achieved through international cooperation.

Our purpose is to promote social welfare and restore citizens' ownership of our democracy by mobilizing grassroots participation in the community. San Francisco for Democracy supports public policy issues through a combination of education, fundraising, community service, grassroots organizing, and direct action at the national, state, and local levels. San Francisco for Democracy works to ensure that elected officials are held accountable to the electorate.

me3
11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
It's a big tent!

BiPolarBear
11-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Because people are waking up in this country. It doesn't matter what you consider yourself, Republican or Democrat or Libertarian or Green or anything else for that matter. Ron Paul has a good message that can't be tied down by silly titles.

I think this is a great part of this revolution is the movement away from labels and towards ideas. Independent thought may just win out after all...

Mark
11-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Not a "Democratic" party straw poll:

Mission of San Francisco for Democracy
San Francisco for Democracy is an inclusive community committed to the values underlying our democracy equal opportunity, civil rights, a healthy environment, fiscal responsibility, affordable health care, quality education, and social justice for all Americans &emdash; and peace and security achieved through international cooperation.

I didn't say Democratic PARTY.

"San Francisco for Democracy rose to prominence with Howard Dean's groundbreaking web campaign in 2004."

Not exactly a bunch of Republicans now are they?

maxmerkel
11-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Technically yes.. I didn't say Democratic PARTY.. but..

San Francisco for Democracy rose to prominence with Howard Dean's groundbreaking web campaign in 2004."

Not exactly a bunch of Repulicans now are they?

howard dean was very anti-guncontrol !

and some "liberals" are liberals only because they think the democrats are pro-civil rights. ron paul is the (better) alternative for those "liberals"

schmeisser
11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
It's obviously a very left leaning PAC. I would still revise the title of the thread, but not sure what I would call it. :confused:

Maybe if it was in lower case instead of all caps? But, whatever, isn't that important.

And it is AMAZING!

purplechoe
11-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow, that's some good news. Even the liberals are waking up to the fact that Hillary is a phony who just wants power.

itsnobody
11-08-2007, 05:29 PM
What a disgrace

Mark
11-08-2007, 05:30 PM
It's obviously a very left leaning PAC. I would still revise the title of the thread, but not sure what I would call it. :confused:

Maybe if it was in lower case instead of all caps? But, whatever, isn't that important.

And it is AMAZING!

Well.. I mean.. the point was that a bunch of Democrats voted for Ron Paul..

that's why I put the emphasis on Democratic..

but yeah.. I was just excited! :D

Danny Molina
11-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I like Kucinich but how did we poll behind him? I guess that's just San Fransisco for you. Though I have no problem with people from Frisco.

LibertyOfOne
11-08-2007, 05:43 PM
This is just too funny.

adpierce
11-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Honestly this poll won't be taken seriously by anybody for the sole reason that Kucinich won. If rather we had polled behind Shillary or Obama then maybe that would say something. However, props to the San Franciscans for representing Dr. Paul. That's very cool of you guys.

Nefertiti
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm originally from the Bay Area and it doesn't surprise me that Kuchinich came out on top. Our big problem in California is that it is a closed primary-and the Bay Area is overwhelmingly Democratic. Ron Paul could have a strong showing if we get enough people to switch parties.

Richandler
11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
California rocks. We simply put are the most progressive state in America. We want to get rid of Fed control as much as any state. The biggest difference is we give the Fed more money that any state by a large sum.

I think we should pull a Colbert and get Ron Paul on the Democratic ticket too! Hahaha.