PDA

View Full Version : Did you discuss politics at Christmas dinner?

ZanZibar
12-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Did you discuss politics at Christmas dinner? If so, what kind of feedback did you get from your family about this election?

brandon
12-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Not much at my first one. Gave my mom the RP cookbook and she laughed. Her husband, who was a RP voter in 1988 and 2008 (but he's kinda wishy washy on muslims and WOT) made some crack about Ron Paul wanting free drugs so you don't know whats in the recipes.

On to the next dinner now, we'll see how it goes.

coastie
12-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Did you discuss politics at Christmas dinner? If so, what kind of feedback did you get from your family about this election?

Im fixing to.....

phill4paul
12-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Already converted them awhile ago so mostly positive talk. Dad said everyone else was "Full of shit." Mom shushed him and said to watch his language at the dinner table. LOL. Onward!

12-25-2011, 04:39 PM
My mother decided on Ron a while ago, no chance she will change her mind. Doesn't believe any of the smears about the newsletters or not being electable.

My sister and brother in law are Obama people. They hate all the other GOP candidates. They said Ron isn't like the other Republicans. They know a bit about about Ron and said the newsletter smears don't make sense. Talked to them some about anti war stuff. They said Obama ended the Iraq war, I told them it's not over we still have 17,000 people there troops were just replaced with contractors etc. They were kinda shocked. Told them Ron will order all the troops home on day 1, Obama could have but didn't. They were really shocked. Talked some about NDAA and SOPA, they had no clue and it seemed like it bothered brother in law, sister was indifferent. Ended it with that they could vote in the GOP primary to keep the candidates they hate out and still vote for Obama. Brother in law seemed like he would, sister might think about it. Her only concern about Ron was will save my SS, since I paid for it all these years. She wants what she paid for. Told her he was the only one who would save it by ending the war spending, she liked that a lot. Also told her kids could opt out, which she thought was fine.

My sister asked my mom if she if my mom was voting for Ron and my Mom said yes with no hesitation or explanation needed. I was kinda proud. A little background about my mom and dad is that my dad, who died when I was kid was part of the new left and even a chapter president for SDS. They were 60's era hippies. The FBI came to the house once when I was little looking for some of the weathermen. I guess my point is that Ron can attract people from that sort of background.

speciallyblend
12-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes and nothing but good things were said to me. In our family i am the ron paul info guy. I had 2 relatives that came to me to talk about how well ron paul is doing:) I have to say it was overall excellent:) My Ron paul magnets and stickers parked right out front:) Win Iowa and Win or 2nd NH but i want to see a win in NH/Iowa let's knock them out!

Blue
12-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes and to my surprise, both of my grandparents plan on voting for Ron Paul. I converted my father and mother a few months back, so maybe they had something to do with it.

TomtheTinker
12-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Most my family don't care at all and likes it that way or are neocons of the first order who stopped talking politics with me when I started supporting rp. On the otherhand im working on my girls parents and my dad. Friends and assosiets are half way done. I am sending an info packet about Ron to everybody I know before super Tuesday to help fight some of the disinfo. Polly gonna just wait to be engaged as far as xmas goes.

Sublyminal
12-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Only with my neighbor and that was a few hours before Christmas dinner. My family and friends are already Ron Paul supporters.

RileyE104
12-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Gave my uncle a copy of A Foreign Policy of Freedom.

V3n
12-25-2011, 05:07 PM
My father-in-law DVR'd the Jay Leno interview and was waiting to watch it with me and Lady_V3n.
He didn't know if we've seen it already or not (LOL!).
I thought it was really cool of him to have done that knowing we were big fans. He really enjoyed the interview.

Unfortunately, neither he nor mother-in-law are voters.

gerryb
12-25-2011, 05:14 PM
My father-in-law DVR'd the Jay Leno interview and was waiting to watch it with me and Lady_V3n.
I thought it was really cool of him to have done that knowing we were big fans. He really enjoyed the interview.

Sounds like filling voter registration forms out with them would be helpful =)

Sublyminal
12-25-2011, 05:14 PM

Gotta get them registered. Get them to the polls and things will work themselves out.

All Ways
12-25-2011, 05:22 PM
No. I tell my family which way to vote, it's my job to keep up with politics. 3 Votes for paul:). They don't care for politics, but I've explained why this family unit(I) has made this decision. They run other areas of the family that I don't care for.:D

EuRa
12-25-2011, 05:27 PM
DEAR GOD NO!

My mother is a Neocon. She's huge on Gingrich or Romney. I don't know which, but I also don't want to know.

Everyone else is ignorant of politics. I'm literally all alone on this one.

V3n
12-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Sounds like filling voter registration forms out with them would be helpful =)

Gotta get them registered. Get them to the polls and things will work themselves out.

I know, right! It's a bit more complicated than I care to get into here. But I'll leave you with a plus, my Dad is definitely on-board and has been since 2007, and I think he's got my step-mom convinced as well - and they are voters!

Cap
12-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I gave out junk silver as presents.

Slutter McGee
12-25-2011, 06:00 PM
My mother banned all political discussions at the Christmas and Thanksgiving tables years ago. Did you just mention the Federal Reserve at the table. No pie for you.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

KCIndy
12-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Christmas dinner was just me and the dog.

We discussed politics, and then the whole thing went downhill. A big argument broke out, with me holding out for Ron Paul and the dog making a determined argument in favor of dropping Paul in favor of Gary Johnson. (the dog said Johnson made some sort of reference to canines in the first debate, and therefore is convinced that Johnson is more "pro-dog" than any other candidate.)

I told the dog that Gary Johnson had already dropped out and was running for the Libertarian nomination. Dog hadn't heard this (he didn't pay his share of the cable TV bill last month, so I cut the service to his doghouse!) and needless to say, was quite irate by this turn of events. Things went downhill from there, with him accusing me of buying cheap dog biscuits (I thought they all tasted the same??!?) and me insulting him by accusing him of smelling like a wet dog.

I think we'll ban any political discussions at next year's dinner. :(

...uh, yes, this was just a joke, folks. :)

brooks009
12-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, 70 year old male asked if anyone likes anyone running. Wife and I said Ron. Others had no clue. He asked if we like him or his policies ... And I Said they are one and the same for me. He said they are not and that Ron seems to old and weak to be the US president. He had good points but I said we need him and gave reasons why... He did not argue but still felt he is to old.

pinkmandy
12-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Sure did! They are all voting for Paul in the primary. I didn't have to say much at all, most voted for Obama last time and aren't happy. They also discussed the way the media treats him and are disgusted by it. It actually seemed to help them make their decisions- talk about blowback. They are appalled at the media's treatment of someone who simply stands for ending wars, cutting the spending and restoring the constitution and our rights (the big issues to them) and even laughed at the media propping up one repub after another while attacking Paul. It's very transparent to them and most do not follow politics like I do. They didn't know much about the fed but that's okay for now and I was just happy to not be the one leading the Paul conversation or trying to convince them that he was the best (only) choice for the change we do need. Their biggest concern was whether Paul would be able to do the things that he talks about because they're very much behind his platform.

And as Virginians they were all laughing at Newt not being on the ballot. Nobody I know or they know likes the guy. How is he polling so high? Ew.

FSP-Rebel
12-25-2011, 06:20 PM
My aunt, who is a Bachmann (and anybody but Obama) supporter who is leaning toward Paul, was under the impression that Paul doesn't match up very well in a head-to-head against Obama. I explained to her that Paul fares a lot better than she's been led to believe. When I asked her how the other candidates could take on Obama w/o the Paul supporters, she sat back and thought for a second. She was actually floored (in a good way) to think that Paul supporters wouldn't be towing the line for the eventual GOP nominee. So, pretty sure she is on board because my cousins are fairly young and are inheriting mass debt. My uncle is a VA doctor so he naturally is inclined towards Paul plus he's a hardcore gun polisher. Basically, the entire family is pro-Paul.

V3n
12-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Yes, 70 year old male asked if anyone likes anyone running. Wife and I said Ron. Others had no clue. He asked if we like him or his policies ... And I Said they are one and the same for me. He said they are not and that Ron seems to old and weak to be the US president. He had good points but I said we need him and gave reasons why... He did not argue but still felt he is to old.

Show them this: http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-08-20/ron-paul-76-challenges-status-quo-to-20-mile-bike-race-in-houston-heat/

Ron Paul: I’ve offered to ride a bicycle for 20 miles in Houston when the temperature is 100° and the humidity is 100% and I will go 20 miles with them and then we’ll decide who’s the youngest.

then this (check out those guns!):

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252718_10150208633031686_6233046685_7290002_727408 _n.jpg

braane
12-25-2011, 06:26 PM
My aunt is pretty well liberal, but a rational voter who looks into all candidates. I am working on her pretty hard for the general election. She doesn't vote in either primary. I got her Liberty Defined and the Law, hopefully by the time the general election comes around she will be on board.

Chris_Redfield
12-25-2011, 06:50 PM
My family made me take pictures, and instead of saying cheese i made them say "Ron Paul" and "End the Fed" haha but I did not really try to go in depth

Jingles
12-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Politics and my family don't mix. Plus, Christmas's are really awkward in the first place. No need for politics to come up as well.

I don't really feel like being screamed at about "YOU HATE POOR PEOPLE!!!!!" on Christmas.

Kluge
12-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Does it count if I only talked to libertarian-leaning family members who would've voted for Paul anyway?

It seems the same every year -- what I enjoy most about family get-togethers around the holidays... after the first 30m or so of having gathered, is sleep.

TroySmith
12-25-2011, 07:12 PM
My uncle is not voting Democrat for the first time in his life. He's voting Ron Paul.

back2basics
12-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Talked to them some about anti war stuff. They said Obama ended the Iraq war, I told them it's not over we still have 17,000 people there troops were just replaced with contractors etc. They were kinda shocked. Told them Ron will order all the troops home on day 1, Obama could have but didn't. .

can you show me links about contractors replacing troops in Iraq

Travlyr
12-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Of course I did. I do not want my grandsons being conscripted.

braane
12-25-2011, 07:19 PM
http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-fayetteville/iraq-us-military-out-22-5k-us-contractors-in

coastie
12-25-2011, 07:21 PM
DEAR GOD NO!

My mother is a Neocon. She's huge on Gingrich or Romney. I don't know which, but I also don't want to know.

Try harder-this is how my in laws were for years, and I got through. Don't give up, this is not 2008, this is really it. We cannot afford in every use of the term to not have this man elected.

I cannot even stress the importance of getting through to people right now-if this doesn't happen for us, family, jobs-everything we know and love - will just be fond memories of what used to be.

I, for one, REFUSE to sit by and watch this happen, as I also REFUSE to accept one day in the future sitting in a prison cell or interment camp or the bombed out shell of my home thinking about what I could have done to help stop this(peacefully).

ETA: My dad's two dinner guests were also converted tonight. Score 18 in two days in a state people were saying we should just concede.

specsaregood
12-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Talked the GIL today. She was worried about Iran and how they were gonna blow up the world. I just asked her, instead of our first response being "we are gonna bomb you, don't ya think we should sit down and talk to them first? That is all Dr. Paul is suggesting, that we try diplomacy first, and all the other people think its the christian thing to go and bomb first and never talk. What Ron Paul is suggesting, is exactly like ole' Ronnie Reagan did with Gorbachev; that we talk before we bomb."

she really liked that, in the end she'll vote for RP, just because I told her that her great grandson would like her to vote for Dr. PAul. :)

newbitech
12-25-2011, 07:37 PM
score 6 SIX! http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?342148-Good-news!-I-have-6-NEW-people-voting-for-Ron-Paul-this-year!-INCLUDING-DAD!

Crickett
12-25-2011, 07:37 PM

We discussed politics, and then the whole thing went downhill. A big argument broke out, with me holding out for Ron Paul and the dog making a determined argument in favor of dropping Paul in favor of Gary Johnson. (the dog said Johnson made some sort of reference to canines in the first debate, and therefore is convinced that Johnson is more "pro-dog" than any other candidate.)

I told the dog that Gary Johnson had already dropped out and was running for the Libertarian nomination. Dog hadn't heard this (he didn't pay his share of the cable TV bill last month, so I cut the service to his doghouse!) and needless to say, was quite irate by this turn of events. Things went downhill from there, with him accusing me of buying cheap dog biscuits (I thought they all tasted the same??!?) and me insulting him by accusing him of smelling like a wet dog.

My dog was asleep so my conversation was with the barbecue grill which is not noted for its intelligence. It kept talking about inflammation (but I think it meant inflation) and also about conflagration not passing the right bills. It was a useless conversation but I got the idea that it was for Ron. It said it had a steak in the election.

12-25-2011, 07:42 PM

http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-fayetteville/iraq-us-military-out-22-5k-us-contractors-in

That's a fair story on it. Ron spoke about it in one of the debates as well.

torchbearer
12-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I did so only after others brought it up. I talked policy and political philosophy. I even told my cousin i've been working on getting him back from afghanistan, which he sincerely thanked me for.. it wasn't until the end- when everyone was agreeing with "my" ideas that I told them that it was ron paul i supported because he supports those ideas too. i saw many wheels turning.

JCF
12-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Nope, didn't even think about it myself, but most of them are hardcore big government supporters anyway, even the people in my wife's family. I enjoy talking about it, but it's just sort of an unwritten rule for no one to discuss politics during family dinners, not because they don't all agree with each other, it's just that it's usually discussed in disgust, negativity... Something no one wants.

Talk of the fed or anything like that goes right over their heads.

VBRonPaulFan
12-25-2011, 08:05 PM
a little. my dad brought up that gingrich didn't get on the ballot here in VA and I said I was fine with that because Ron Paul got on it :)

then my brother and sister both said they were voting for ron paul, and my dad said something along the lines of he hopes they forget to vote then. we're gonna have to work on him some, but hey... at least my brother and sister are all about him

Dorfsmith
12-25-2011, 08:49 PM

I had this discussion with my grandma in law a few weeks ago. I showed her a picture of Ron Paul on a bike and asked her if she thought Gingrich or Paul were in better shape. She admitted that Paul is probably much healthier.

RDM
12-25-2011, 08:53 PM
I can't really say a deep conversation came up, but I do have a story. So, with family together my one sister hands me a wrapped gift. Obviously my one sister who bought the gift and my other sister knew what the gift was. They both looked at me and "open your gift, we think you'll like it". This got me thinking, what are they up to? They're always coming up with these quirky gifts that seem to match a person's personality or character. So here I am, still puzzled and wondering, what in the heck did you get me. So before I open it, I'm making comments like. well this should be good, I'll guess you'll all get a laugh once I open it. My sister says, "There's a reason for the gift she got me and will explain once I open it.

So, I begin to open the gift, not knowing or even a clue what it could be. So as I slowly unwrap the package, I see this picture of Ron Paul standing behind a podium, proceed to shred off the rest of wrapping paper and exposed in front of me is the book "End The Fed". I am shocked, happy, almost tearful in joy and somewhat mystified. I look at her and say thank you and she asked have you read it yet? I said no. She then proceeds to tell me, she constantly sees my posts on Facebook about Dr. Paul and reads them and finds them interesting and enjoys watching him in debates. She said the reason was, "he tells it like it is". My sister and I have NEVER talked politics before ever in detail. What inspired her to buy me that book was my Facebook posts, whom I thought no one ever read. The only downside is my sister does not vote and has never registered. ( Must work on that, I know)

Well, that was my Christmas highlight and I just wanted to share that with you all. Keep the faith everyone. His word is spreading.

brooks009
12-25-2011, 08:59 PM
I had this discussion with my grandma in law a few weeks ago. I showed her a picture of Ron Paul on a bike and asked her if she thought Gingrich or Paul were in better shape. She admitted that Paul is probably much healthier

It was not just his age but also that fact that he does not seem like a leader... A alpha male type. It was a good point but I explained we need to fix the issues... Which Ron would do.

12-25-2011, 09:03 PM
So, what will the post Christmas poll bump be? Figure lots of RP supporters just converted family members.

I'm also glad to hear most people reporting that family members think the newsletter smear redux is BS.

gjdavis60
12-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I've been pulling in my family one at a time, trying not to be irritating, but making points at opportune times that place doubt into their minds about their conventional world view. They are all coming around. Given today's economy and the convergence of the parties around status quo policies, it isn't hard.

KCIndy
12-25-2011, 09:27 PM
My dog was asleep so my conversation was with the barbecue grill which is not noted for its intelligence. It kept talking about inflammation (but I think it meant inflation) and also about conflagration not passing the right bills. It was a useless conversation but I got the idea that it was for Ron. It said it had a steak in the election.

:):D:cool:

CaptainAmerica
12-25-2011, 09:49 PM
What good would it do to argue against chickenhawk "christians" who think that their stance is biblical? To even mention Jesus's sermon on the mount and Galatians chapter 2 is insulting to them, they find it controversial to challenge the "status" of Israel as a government/nation. Apparently the ongoing debate is :

spiritual inheritance from Jesus VS. physical land inheritance from Jesus (and racist seperation by putting Jewish above Gentile)

I believe in what Jesus spoke and did.Jesus established a spiritual kingdom of heaven on earth, he did not partition land and subject us to worshiping one race over another race, he did away with race and creed (status) and priesthood. Its no use for me to argue against my family members and cousins who don't read the gospel in its context.Most of them replace love with fear, and self discipline with self preservation at all costs ,and they justify it by saying "God is with my side"....rather than doing what Christ actually commands and says. So no, I didn't speak politics, most of them are ignorant and think Ron Pauls foreign policy is blasphemus

torchbearer
12-25-2011, 09:54 PM
What good would it do to argue against chickenhawk "christians" who think that their stance is biblical? To even mention Jesus's sermon on the mount and Galatians chapter 2 is insulting to them, they find it controversial to challenge the "status" of Israel as a government/nation. Apparently the ongoing debate is :

spiritual inheritance from Jesus VS. physical land inheritance from Jesus (and racist seperation by putting Jewish above Gentile)

I believe in what Jesus spoke and did.Jesus established a spiritual kingdom of heaven on earth, he did not partition land and subject us to worshiping one race over another race, he did away with race and creed (status) and priesthood. Its no use for me to argue against my family members and cousins who don't read the gospel in its context.Most of them replace love with fear, and self discipline with self preservation at all costs ,and they justify it by saying "God is with my side"....rather than doing what Christ actually commands and says. So no, I didn't speak politics, most of them are ignorant and think Ron Pauls foreign policy is blasphemus

Jesus was the Prince of Peace, not the Prince of war.
Violence is immoral when it is not used as an immediate self-defence of violence used against you.
Chrisitan Just War theory.
destroying all the windows in your neighborhood doesn't create wealth, neither does making bombs and bullets.

Darthbrooklyn
12-25-2011, 09:54 PM
I spent 20 minutes beating back the newsletter stuff.. but thats about it.

Carole
12-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Most my family don't care at all and likes it that way or are neocons of the first order who stopped talking politics with me when I started supporting rp. On the otherhand im working on my girls parents and my dad. Friends and assosiets are half way done. I am sending an info packet about Ron to everybody I know before super Tuesday to help fight some of the disinfo. Polly gonna just wait to be engaged as far as xmas goes.

Keep trying. :)

Aside: associates (spelling police on holiday duty) :D

Who is "Polly". I read it four times and think you meant to say "probably". ?? :D

Tod
12-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I did....mostly the Federal Reserve System.

sailingaway
12-25-2011, 10:44 PM
It was not just his age but also that fact that he does not seem like a leader... A alpha male type. It was a good point but I explained we need to fix the issues... Which Ron would do.

Ron is absolutely an alpha male type. No one sways him against his principles.

I didn't discuss politics because we had at Thanksgiving and it wasn't pretty. Over the summer I got my dad to agree to vote for Ron in the primary in Texas, though. Half just because I want him to, but he also realizes Ron was right on a lot of things.

HRD53
12-25-2011, 10:59 PM
I can't really say a deep conversation came up, but I do have a story. So, with family together my one sister hands me a wrapped gift. Obviously my one sister who bought the gift and my other sister knew what the gift was. They both looked at me and "open your gift, we think you'll like it". This got me thinking, what are they up to? They're always coming up with these quirky gifts that seem to match a person's personality or character. So here I am, still puzzled and wondering, what in the heck did you get me. So before I open it, I'm making comments like. well this should be good, I'll guess you'll all get a laugh once I open it. My sister says, "There's a reason for the gift she got me and will explain once I open it.

So, I begin to open the gift, not knowing or even a clue what it could be. So as I slowly unwrap the package, I see this picture of Ron Paul standing behind a podium, proceed to shred off the rest of wrapping paper and exposed in front of me is the book "End The Fed". I am shocked, happy, almost tearful in joy and somewhat mystified. I look at her and say thank you and she asked have you read it yet? I said no. She then proceeds to tell me, she constantly sees my posts on Facebook about Dr. Paul and reads them and finds them interesting and enjoys watching him in debates. She said the reason was, "he tells it like it is". My sister and I have NEVER talked politics before ever in detail. What inspired her to buy me that book was my Facebook posts, whom I thought no one ever read. The only downside is my sister does not vote and has never registered. ( Must work on that, I know)

Well, that was my Christmas highlight and I just wanted to share that with you all. Keep the faith everyone. His word is spreading.

Thats a really cool story. You never know who is paying attention... even small things like making posts on fb can get new supporters (or in this case at least get people interested in the message)

PreDeadMan
12-25-2011, 11:02 PM
uhm yes... lol just read my thread in hot topics and you'll see what kind of insane person my uncle is lol

pacelli
12-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Sure did. We got into an intellectual discussion about Aleister Sim's 1951 Scrooge/A Christmas Carol. I made a joke that Scrooge was a libertarian stuck in a Communist propaganda nightmare. Got lots of laughs.

abruzz0
12-25-2011, 11:20 PM
After working on my grandpa for 4+ years to convert him to Ron Paul, he said he's gonna vote for him, but added on, "He has no chance in hell anyway."

Endthefednow
12-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Only in passing I talked with my brother he thinks Dr. Paul is crazy for trying to get rid of 5 departments, Still working on my Brother.

12-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I spent 20 minutes beating back the newsletter stuff.. but thats about it.

Hmm, you are the first one I've heard of on here with family that bought into the smears. Mine didn't buy into it at all.

Why did they buy it?

AlexAmore
12-25-2011, 11:30 PM
My grandfather is extremely well read on history & current events. He's the only liberal I have seen who understands the problems to his extent, except his solutions are not there and it would take me pulling out stats for me to convince him which don't have on hand. However I did convince him on why the minimum wage is bad in about a minute flat. It was pretty cool and he had to admit that it made sense after sitting there quiet, looking up to ceiling for 10 seconds in thought. We had a great dialogue as always. He's gonna vote for Ron Paul regardless, like I said he's smart. Liberals might admit you're right on one thing but they need their hand held to see how it affects everything else.

playpianoking
12-25-2011, 11:48 PM
I gave my mom the RP cookbook. As soon as she saw it, she hid it from everyone else because she likes RP but didn't want to stir up a debate with family visiting. O well.

low preference guy
12-26-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm getting better at discussing politics. I'm finally able to control myself when I'm talking to people who advocate massive theft and violence as a way of life.

Matthew5
12-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Two converts! :D My brother is a mainstream republican and said, "I don't like any of the GOP candidates, but I like Ron Paul the best." I proceeded to further explain his positions and he really came around and strengthened his commitment to vote for Dr. Paul!

The latest was the biggest shock of all! My cousin is a public school teacher (typical socialist/Obama supporter) and he approached me after dinner.

"Well, looks like your man is going to do well in Iowa." He then proceeded to mention how much he loathed Newt, Romney, and Perry. He then started to praise Ron Paul! He even began going on about how he loves his foreign policy plans (especially cutting foreign bases), dismantling the military industrial complex, and getting rid of the Department of Education. He then proceeded to call Obama a "dumb ass" and said he would never vote for him again.

He said he was worried that no one could beat Obama but I told him that Ron polled highest and beats Obama in most states. He said, "well then, Ron Paul's got my vote this year!" :D

Matthew5
12-26-2011, 12:34 AM
I should also mention that the newsletters came up and no one bought the MSM hit pieces. Everyone in my family called them horrible and were angry about it! :cool:

rprprs
12-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Sure did. We got into an intellectual discussion about Aleister Sim's 1951 Scrooge/A Christmas Carol. I made a joke that Scrooge was a libertarian stuck in a Communist propaganda nightmare. Got lots of laughs.

ha ha. Funny you should mention that. We didn't discuss politics, but we did discuss which of the many filmed versions of the Dickens' classic was best and which actor was the definitive Scrooge. True to my contrarian form, I buck the trend and general mainstream consensus on that one too...lol.

Also, if I remember correctly, last election cycle I believe I read an article linked from these forums which discussed very seriously the Scrooge/libertarian connection.

libertyguy
12-26-2011, 01:26 AM
After working on my grandpa for 4+ years to convert him to Ron Paul, he said he's gonna vote for him, but added on, "He has no chance in hell anyway."

I don't believe this to be true, but for the sake of argument, ask you grandfather if he is willing to vote on principal instead of the "lesser of two evils". Is he willing to vote for the best person believing that he will not win, but casting the right vote? If not, how can he expect that our government will ever have a chance of changing?

McDermit
12-26-2011, 01:27 AM
I've already converted everyone. There was some Iowa talk, and some delegate strategy (my dad and his brother own a 4th generation family business in an adjacent CD. Both have been in local politics. Dad now lives in my CD, with little name recognition outside of our towns... But his brother still lives in the other district. We're trying to talk him into running as a delegate.)

TruckinMike
12-26-2011, 02:27 AM

...uh, yes, this was just a joke, folks. :)

Thats Hilarius!

Similar to my story - except that I have three dogs, and two of the three are RABID Obama supporters. Max and Maybe were born Marxists. They love the fact that they are fed by me and don't have to hunt rabbits or eat old cow dung on bad hunting days. They know a gravy train when they see it. Cap'n Parker has more self respect.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3309/3624133364_ebffe0f73f_m.jpg
Parker, Max, and Maybe

TMike

Sublyminal
12-26-2011, 02:40 AM
Show them this: http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-08-20/ron-paul-76-challenges-status-quo-to-20-mile-bike-race-in-houston-heat/

then this (check out those guns!):

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252718_10150208633031686_6233046685_7290002_727408 _n.jpg

It's embarrassing for me to say this, but that man is in better shape than I am.

PatriotOne
12-26-2011, 02:41 AM

Dead Battery. Election night. Nuff said.

PatriotOne
12-26-2011, 02:44 AM
DEAR GOD NO!

Flat tires. Election night. Nuff said.

PatriotOne
12-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Nope, didn't even think about it myself, but most of them are hardcore big government supporters anyway, even the people in my wife's family. I enjoy talking about it, but it's just sort of an unwritten rule for no one to discuss politics during family dinners, not because they don't all agree with each other, it's just that it's usually discussed in disgust, negativity... Something no one wants.

Talk of the fed or anything like that goes right over their heads.

Lost keys. Election night. Nuff said.

bunklocoempire
12-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Yes, Christmas Eve. Ran a wreath and some smoked ribs we made over to our neighbors. The patriarch said "Hey your man Ron Paul is doing pretty good", I agreed pointing out that Paul (we) being fought every inch of the way, and, was able to get a plug in for how Ron honors his oath in front of said patriarch's Army son who was over with family from Schofield Barracks. Also, that wifey and myself had deemed Paul's oath-keeping and thus campaign worthy of monetary support.

It was a pleasant surprise as I had again dropped Paul on said neighbor a couple months ago and he had taken the time to pay attention to Paul.

Great job everyone! Keep it up! PUSH!!! :)

seekingliberty
12-26-2011, 03:42 AM
Christmas Eve, a Conservative family member who listens to the neocon talk shows, came up to hubby and asked him how he felt about Ron Paul's foreign policy since hubby is former military. He said he loves him on domestic issues but was having a hard time with his foreign policy. Hubby praised his foreign policy and pointed out some things to him. We will be posting on facebook the video about liking Ron Paul on everything but foreign policy. I think that he, and hopefully his family, could come around and really get on board with Paul.

Christmas with the inlaws, FIL mentioned Paul again. Something about how the one person the media fails to mention keeps gaining in the polls. He hasn't said that he is supporting him but he seems like he might be taking a look at him. This is the 2nd time that he has brought up the media bias against him and he even said something like, they must really be afraid of him. They know that we are all in for Paul, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is looking into him. We made sure that we mentioned that Paul does better with indies than the other candidates do when matched with Obama and that the GOP needs indies to win. They do not like Gingrich or Romney at all.

Christmas with my family. I think my Mom, a lifelong Dem, might be on board. She hates Obama, didn't vote for him the first time, and was looking at the GOP candidates. She really likes Johnson but ended up liking Paul on facebook awhile back. She also posted one of his commercials. Sis and her bf are liberal, big time, but honestly think sis would be more in line with libertarians if she actually did some research. Mom has said, back in July when she first started looking at the candidates, she thinks she is more libertarian. She would not vote for any of the others, she'd just stay home.

No one brought up the newsletters.

McDermit
12-26-2011, 04:04 AM
Thats Hilarius!

Similar to my story - except that I have three dogs, and two of the three are RABID Obama supporters. Max and Maybe were born Marxists. They love the fact that they are fed by me and don't have to hunt rabbits or eat old cow dung on bad hunting days. They know a gravy train when they see it. Cap'n Parker has more self respect.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3309/3624133364_ebffe0f73f_m.jpg
Parker, Max, and Maybe

TMike

Captain Parker is the best! Reminds me so much of my flat-coated retriever mix.

For anyone having trouble converting their dogs, remind them that Ron is an animal lover! He even considered becoming a vet (until he watched a vet stick his hand somewhere that gossed him out! Lol) He and Carol raised puppies when the family was young. Definitely a dog lover! (And he'd never put them on the roof of his station wagon.)

Hospitaller
12-26-2011, 04:16 AM
I poked around some economic talk at the dinner table, i didnt persue it too much.

Captain Parker is the best! Reminds me so much of my flat-coated retriever mix.

For anyone having trouble converting their dogs, remind them that Ron is an animal lover! He even considered becoming a vet (until he watched a vet stick his hand somewhere that gossed him out! Lol) He and Carol raised puppies when the family was young. Definitely a dog lover! (And he'd never put them on the roof of his station wagon.)

Then he became a gynocologist???