PDA

View Full Version : Focusing on Hillary

Jwaksman
11-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I think it would be worthwhile to focus on Hillary Clinton's fundraising record. I still haven't seen official confirmation on what her real one-day fundraising record was, but I've heard $6.2 Million in a few places.

A lot of Republicans have a real visceral hatred of Hillary, and will support any cause that involves "beating" Hillary. So, we can raise money from people who don't even support Ron Paul, but just want to keep Hillary from having the fundraising record.

On another level, beating Hillary's fundraising record would help reinforce the idea that Paul is the best Republican opponent for Hillary in the general election. Because she voted for the Iraq War, she is especially vulnerable to a Republican who is more anti-war than she is (if you can even call her "anti-war" at all). A lot of Democrats will defect to Paul, or just not vote altogether.

Finally, I think that $6.2 Million is a very attainable goal. Very few people are already tapped out, and the campaign says that something like 17,000 donated on November 5th that hadn't donated before. This means there is a lot of money left to be had. Bring in some other Republicans who just want to "Beat Hillary" and that record will go down. Also, assuming that we're somewhere around $10-11 Million in fundraising at that point, a $6 Million day will guarantee that Paul ends up within shouting distance of the top Republican fundraisers (I doubt that Rudy, Romney or Thompson will break $20 Million, and McCain obviously won't even come close).

I'm not saying that we should change the official "slogan" of December 16th. Just that this should be an emphasis in the advertising for the 16th. Maybe the media will pick up on it and spread the message, since they seem to care about anything that involves Hillary or Rudy. What do you guys think?

Jobarra
11-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Having another Boston Tea Party is a way more positive view and something alot of the undecided voters can get behind as well as something true Republicans can get behind. I would rather be about putting Ron Paul in office than keeping Hillary or Rudy out. To me he is the only one truly worthy of the Presidency.

Jwaksman
11-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Having another Boston Tea Party is a way more positive view and something alot of the undecided voters can get behind as well as something true Republicans can get behind. I would rather be about putting Ron Paul in office than keeping Hillary or Rudy out. To me he is the only one truly worthy of the Presidency.

Yes, I understand. But we need ways to promote the Boston Tea Party. A big focus seems to be on beating the old record. I think that all of that energy should be centered on beating Hillary's record.

A lot of Republicans ONLY care about beating Hillary. Why else would Pat Robertson be backing Giuliani? If we can get people to realize that Paul is a better option than Giuliani for beating Hillary, a lot of people who don't even care for Paul's ideas will support him anyway.

austin356
11-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Focusing on Hillary is a winning strategy. There is no blowback (relative to what we usually do), and it is a great great thing with the Republican party. A goal AGAINST HILLARY, is much much better than a goal AGAINST _________ (Romney or Giuliani).

Jobarra
11-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I think a goal FOR liberty is a lot better than a negative goal, which some WILL see. I don't believe anyone other than Ron Paul deserves to be in the White House, but I think alot of people would get behind liberty first rather than be for defeating someone else.

Quite frankly, I think it's a given that we're going to blow the record out anyway. And as others have pointed out, we may already be the largest donations in one day compared to the other candidates(with Kerry being the only one higher from the 2004 general election).

Kill them with kindness :) We want to pull in alot of new donors who are probably tired of 'attack' politics.

Oh, and trying to defeat the other candidates just sounds like we're desperate in my opinion. Let people infer their own opinion from when all the donations come in.

thoughtbombing
11-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes, I understand. But we need ways to promote the Boston Tea Party. A big focus seems to be on beating the old record. I think that all of that energy should be centered on beating Hillary's record.

Yep, and if we don't beat the record now, with all the hype... "Is Ron Paul finished... was this a fluke.." etc...

I say we take Hillary out. The Dems don't wanna kneecap her, but let he who hath no legislative sin cast the first stone. :eek:

justinc.1089
11-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I think thats a stupid idea honestly. Sorry to be rude, but thats how I feel. It gives more media attention to Clinton! And takes away media attention from Paul! It would split the media time he gets in half by focusing the media on talking about how Clinton raised so much, and THEN how Paul beat it.

It would be much better to have it the same as the 5th was, only talking about Paul and our success.

Besides, I'm getting tired of all these ideas getting off course. We're already getting our main slogan ideas now, in fact I think we have the slogans now we're going to see everyone using mostly promoting this, and you're talking about changing the entire theme or at least a slogan or something???:confused:

Thats like trying to turn around an aircraft carrier.... it can't turn sharp. And we don't have time to change course now even though we have 5 weeks because this must be huge. This is going to be the climax of the revolution.

VoteRonPaul2008
11-08-2007, 06:19 PM
I say Obama and Giuliani are our main competition.. Hillary will most likely be the dem nominee. it's useless.. focus in on obama and Giuliani.. we can pull in moderates and anti war voters

Jwaksman
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I think thats a stupid idea honestly. Sorry to be rude, but thats how I feel. It gives more media attention to Clinton! And takes away media attention from Paul! It would split the media time he gets in half by focusing the media on talking about how Clinton raised so much, and THEN how Paul beat it.

No, it's a smart campaign strategy. It's why Rudy brings up Hillary constantly, and avoids attacking his fellow Republicans. He knows that his resume and his policies do not resonate with the party. However, he knows that the party cares most of all about beating Hillary. So, by positioning himself as the anti-Hillary, he attracts the votes of the people who will give up on principles to beat Hillary.

I think that the number of Republican primary voters who believe "I'll vote for whoever has the best chance to beat Hillary, regardless of their politics" is very large. Something like 30-50% of the electorate. You need to tap into that.

It's very important for Paul to position himself as the anti-Hillary. At the very least, it saps away a lot of Giuliani's support. It helps bring in voters who just care about beating Hillary. And it keeps voters who like Paul's ideas but are worried that he isn't electable.

To repeat: I am NOT asking anyone to change directions. I don't want to change the slogan. I simply want this to be a point of emphasis. When people are out at malls on December 15th asking people to donate, they should be saying "[whatever our slogan is]... Help us beat Hillary!"

dfalken
11-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Kill them with kindness. Let them figure it out for themselves that Ron can beat Hillary. After we bring in 20 million that day there will be a lot of people rethinking things. I agree there are many people out there that are going to vote for whoever they think will beat Hillary and at this point would not vote for Ron Paul because they think they would be wasting their vote. 20 million dollars from 200,000 donors will go a long way to change their mind. Ron Paul would not attack Hillary so let's not do that ourselves.

Jobarra
11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
No, it's a smart campaign strategy. It's why Rudy brings up Hillary constantly, and avoids attacking his fellow Republicans. He knows that his resume and his policies do not resonate with the party. However, he knows that the party cares most of all about beating Hillary. So, by positioning himself as the anti-Hillary, he attracts the votes of the people who will give up on principles to beat Hillary.

I think that the number of Republican primary voters who believe "I'll vote for whoever has the best chance to beat Hillary, regardless of their politics" is very large. Something like 30-50% of the electorate. You need to tap into that.

It's very important for Paul to position himself as the anti-Hillary. At the very least, it saps away a lot of Giuliani's support. It helps bring in voters who just care about beating Hillary. And it keeps voters who like Paul's ideas but are worried that he isn't electable.

To repeat: I am NOT asking anyone to change directions. I don't want to change the slogan. I simply want this to be a point of emphasis. When people are out at malls on December 15th asking people to donate, they should be saying "[whatever our slogan is]... Help us beat Hillary!"
Attack Hillary to people's faces? The general public? What happens if that person happens to LIKE Hillary but might be on the fence? I would say 9 times out of 10 you just pushed that person into voting for Hillary by being negative. Seriously, focus on freedom and liberty. Leave Hillary out of it. Once they see what Ron Paul is about, they'll naturally understand Hillary needs to be defeated. You're talking about the general public, who have been forcefed nothing but Hillary and Rudy for the past year as the ONLY contenders. Do you really think everyone knows her policies and such? Give them Ron Paul's policies and then when they compare them, they'll make the right decision.

dt_
11-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Keep the message positive and success will come. :) (hopefully)

Jwaksman
11-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Attack Hillary to people's faces? The general public? What happens if that person happens to LIKE Hillary but might be on the fence? I would say 9 times out of 10 you just pushed that person into voting for Hillary by being negative. Seriously, focus on freedom and liberty. Leave Hillary out of it. Once they see what Ron Paul is about, they'll naturally understand Hillary needs to be defeated. You're talking about the general public, who have been forcefed nothing but Hillary and Rudy for the past year as the ONLY contenders. Do you really think everyone knows her policies and such? Give them Ron Paul's policies and then when they compare them, they'll make the right decision.

I don't recall anyone here advocating attacking Hillary, so I'm not sure who you're responding to.

My idea is to urge people to break Hillary's one-day fundraising record. It's a positive way to help set up Dr. Paul as the real anti-Hillary.

Jobarra
11-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't recall anyone here advocating attacking Hillary, so I'm not sure who you're responding to.

My idea is to urge people to break Hillary's one-day fundraising record. It's a positive way to help set up Dr. Paul as the real anti-Hillary.
RP supporter: "Yeah, we're trying to beat Hillary's fundraising record."
Fence sitter: *Beat Hillary? Why are they trying to attack Hillary?* "No thanks." *I think I need to support Hillary*

It sounds like a good idea and would work on people, but IMHO it would drive away more people. Whereas if you keep the message positive "We're about giving you liberty again", all people will respond positively or neutrally. This also opens up more talking points with a person "Really, I thought we already had liberty?". What response do you think you allow people with "We're trying to break Hillary's record" I mean there is not really anywhere positive you can go with that unless the person already can't stand Hillary. I'm talking about converting people who don't know about Ron Paul by allowing them to hear more about him instead of making them essentially answer up front what they want to do when the only people they have heard about are Rudy and Hillary for the past year.

austin356
11-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Smart strategy for winning the REPUBLICAN nomination. People, get over yourselves, a very large majority of voters in this nation have to vote in Closed Primaries. We are going to to have to win REPUBLICANS. Beating Hillary in Fundraising is paramount to a God granted miracle in conservative circles. Any progressives or independents that might not like going after Clinton are not likely to come to our side anyways.

Beat Clinton. Give glory to the Republican party. Emphasize the fact that if we can do it once, we can do it again. If we get that point across and they believe us then we win, even if the party does not agree with our foreign policy.

thoughtbombing
11-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Giuliani, attack him for failing the first responders, cops, firefighters, etc... remember when the Deutch Bank building STILL THERE FROM 9/11 caught fire a few months ago and the radios didn't work, and the inspectors didn't keep the stand pipes didn't have water, and the firefighters died... then a day or two later, while inspecting the building, another firefighter got hurt or killed? Giuliani isn't fixing anything in that city, because he was out making millions giving speeches on 9/11, instead of protecting us from another one. FAAAAAIIIIIIIL! Attack him for his positions. Post images of him dressed in DRAG in conservative swing primary states. I'm looking at Iowa, New Hampshire is Mitt Romney territory.

Mitt Romney... RAISED TAXES(NEW HAMPSHIRE, YOU HEAR ME??? RAAAAAAAAISED TAXES. SOCIALIZED MEDICINE. "I AM MORE LIBERAL THAN TED KENNEDY ON GAY RIGHTS!!!"

RAISED TAXES, RAISED TAXES, RAISED TAXES, TAXES, TAXES, TAXES!!!!! TAXES... DID I MENTION TAXES... DO YOU HEAR ME IN NEW HAMPSHIRE? TAXES TAXED TAXING RAISING TAXES TAXI TAXED MITT ROMNEY.

Ok, so now that he's done...

Fred Thompson... LOL. Let him alone... he's doing our work for us.

Suckabee... what's to say, we're winning. Don't even acknowledge him.

Tancredo, I believe is coming to us, when he drops out. Don't destroy him too much. After the Glenn Beck poll didn't have Ron on it, the radio chat spammed Tancredo votes and called the campaign to let them know what we had done, and to tell them when/IF they drop out, that we'd be more than happy to take that endorsement for President, and the voters than come with it, however small.

Hillary is the easiest for us to beat, because the COUNTRY hates her, the media loves her, the media has lower approval ratings than congress, and RON PAUL is the anti-war candidate.

Jwaksman
11-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Giuliani, attack him for failing the first responders, cops, firefighters, etc... remember when the Deutch Bank building STILL THERE FROM 9/11 caught fire a few months ago and the radios didn't work, and the inspectors didn't keep the stand pipes didn't have water, and the firefighters died... then a day or two later, while inspecting the building, another firefighter got hurt or killed? Giuliani isn't fixing anything in that city, because he was out making millions giving speeches on 9/11, instead of protecting us from another one. FAAAAAIIIIIIIL! Attack him for his positions. Post images of him dressed in DRAG in conservative swing primary states. I'm looking at Iowa, New Hampshire is Mitt Romney territory.

Mitt Romney... RAISED TAXES(NEW HAMPSHIRE, YOU HEAR ME??? RAAAAAAAAISED TAXES. SOCIALIZED MEDICINE. "I AM MORE LIBERAL THAN TED KENNEDY ON GAY RIGHTS!!!"

RAISED TAXES, RAISED TAXES, RAISED TAXES, TAXES, TAXES, TAXES!!!!! TAXES... DID I MENTION TAXES... DO YOU HEAR ME IN NEW HAMPSHIRE? TAXES TAXED TAXING RAISING TAXES TAXI TAXED MITT ROMNEY.

Ok, so now that he's done...

Fred Thompson... LOL. Let him alone... he's doing our work for us.

Suckabee... what's to say, we're winning. Don't even acknowledge him.

Tancredo, I believe is coming to us, when he drops out. Don't destroy him too much. After the Glenn Beck poll didn't have Ron on it, the radio chat spammed Tancredo votes and called the campaign to let them know what we had done, and to tell them when/IF they drop out, that we'd be more than happy to take that endorsement for President, and the voters than come with it, however small.

Hillary is the easiest for us to beat, because the COUNTRY hates her, the media loves her, the media has lower approval ratings than congress, and RON PAUL is the anti-war candidate.

These are personal attacks that shouldn't be mixed up with any fundraising drive. As another poster said, this needs to be a positive event. "Beat Hillary's record" is not negative.

Remember, asking people to beat Hillary's record will even bring in some soft Giuliani and Romney supporters, who will just want to be a part of it.

We have to focus on bringing in those who voted in the Republican primaries in the past, since they will make up the majority of voters this year.