PDA

View Full Version : Register to vote in Hawaii or keep Missouri Registration?

JasonM
12-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey,

I'm active duty serving in Hawaii right now, but I'm registered in Missouri. Since Missouri is gonna have a caucus and I can't be there to participate, should I just register to vote in Hawaii (with a March vote 2 weeks after super tuesday) and vote then, or should I keep the Missouri voter registration, and send in my absentee ballot for the 7 Feb primary that doesn't count when I get it?

I still got 2-3 more years before i get stationed elsewhere.

XNavyNuke
12-25-2011, 11:23 AM
When I was in, I always voted absentee in my state of record. The local elections had effects on kin and clan.

XNN

sailingaway
12-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Seems to me without researching how Ron did in 2008 that you might be able to have more impact in Hawaii. Certainly if you can't vote in the one that counts in Missouri, I'd change.

Just my 2cents.

JasonM
12-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Yea, it sucks cuz despite all the shenanigans, I think we did really well for first timers. I was an alternate at the Missouri state convention, and I'm confident Ron Paul had a full 25% of the voting delegates despite only having a few months of preparations and I had a lot of fun. It would tickle me to death if Ron Paul supporters manage to take more than 50% of the voting delegates in Missouri now that we had a full 4 years to lay the groundwork. It kills me that I can't be there to caucus a 2nd time in Missouri now.

tsai3904
12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes, since you will not be able to caucus in Missouri, register to vote in Hawaii. As you said, the Missouri primary means absolutely nothing.

Also, FYI, you can register to vote at the Hawaii caucus so you can convince people to caucus with you up to the day of the caucus.

realtonygoodwin
12-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Would you be changing your home of record to here as well? Keep in mind any tax implications.

gerryb
12-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Would you be changing your home of record to here as well? Keep in mind any tax implications.

+1

And filing tax returns for two states.

For one vote it might not be worthwhile -- find someone to participate in your stead, who otherwise would not have. You're fighting for them, they should fight for you.

JasonM
12-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Gosh I forgot about the potential tax implications. Is registering to vote really enough to make the state insist that they have the right to tax you and would go after you if you dont pay the local state income tax?

realtonygoodwin
12-25-2011, 08:42 PM
It has to do with how the state defines residency.