PDA

View Full Version : Question

RonPaulRevolution!
12-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Didn't want to put a more specific thread title...

How will Ron Paul get rid of the 5 departments he wants to do away with? Are any of them in existence due to executive order? I've been under the impression that some of them can be done away with by the wave of a pen. But I don't think this applies to each of them.

Can someone spell out how he will do this for each department? I know quit a bit about his policies and how he will do things but this is one area where I need some help on.

Thanks. Need this to work on family.

RonPaulRevolution!
12-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Anyone? 2 votes hang in the balance! :P

(with much more on the line in future encounters!)

12-25-2011, 10:47 AM
They will be phased out gradually and necessary responsibilities spread to other government agencies. He can appoint cabinet members who agree with his agenda to work towards his goal by not spending and reducing the budgets of the dept. As people leave or retire, they won't be replaced.

RonPaulRevolution!
12-25-2011, 10:48 AM
I understand that. My question is HOW will he be able to begin this process? Will it take a vote for congress to get rid of the EPA or CIA? Can he just issue an executive order? (keep in mind he wont belligerently use executive orders)

jbuttell
12-25-2011, 10:54 AM
it has always been my impression that while those are things he'll work toward, there are no guarantees. But I look at it this way, when you have other candidates that are barely able to even TALK about getting rid of these departments, I prefer to put my money on Paul because he'll honestly and persistently work toward that goal. No one else is even remotely serious and that's enough for me at this stage.

RonPaulRevolution!
12-25-2011, 11:00 AM
I agree. But I like to talk intelligently and factually about the things I say. I don't like to leave room for questions. It's a much stronger argument to know what it would specifically take to do away with these departments.

So if anyone knows. I'm still interested.

Sublyminal
12-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I agree. But I like to talk intelligently and factually about the things I say. I don't like to leave room for questions. It's a much stronger argument to know what it would specifically take to do away with these departments.

So if anyone knows. I'm still interested.

Ron Paul has discussed how he'll cut them. In a sense by cutting the budgets it starves them and when they no longer have a budget to run on they become defunct, which allows him to push for their removal. It's ludicrous to think that he can just get into office and wave a pen and poof those departments are gone. If he did that congress would try to veto it with a majority vote.

RonPaulRevolution!
12-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Ron Paul has discussed how he'll cut them. In a sense by cutting the budgets it starves them and when they no longer have a budget to run on they become defunct, which allows him to push for their removal. It's ludicrous to think that he can just get into office and wave a pen and poof those departments are gone. If he did that congress would try to veto it with a majority vote.

Sure. But using executive orders isn't something Ron Paul would abuse so that's why I can only see him getting rid of them with that method if they were put in by that very same method. Basically issuing an executive order to get rid of any department he wants to get rid of by issuing an executive order.

But, since I don't know how each department he wants to do away with came into being I can't know for sure what method he would use. I suspect each department would take a vote of congress to get rid of but I might be wrong.

As for cutting the budget to starve them, thats another thing that he doesn't have direct control over. A budget, as we have all seen lately, is something that congress has to agree on. Ron Paul has admitted that it's not enough to vote him into office (as with any president) but that the people have to act by voting in the right congressmen in as well.

So does it come down to congress for each of these 5 departments? I was under the impression that some of the departments were in existence due to executive order.

wowrevolution
12-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Paul has control over Executive Branch offices and departments. He can hire & fire their staff at will. You've already been given an answer, I'm not sure what more you want. Its as simple as has already been said.

Sublyminal
12-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Most of these departments are cabinet departments, which I believe is executive order. According to wikipedia (i know, i know, terrible source material) HUD was signed into law by LBJ, while the EPA was proposed by Nixon and sent to congress to be passed. So to get rid of a HUD he could do away with it with a pen stroke. But for the EPA it would take an act of congress.

r3volution
12-25-2011, 11:39 AM
paul only said he will not legislate (make laws or mandates) via executive order . cutting stuff , i assume is another story and i welcome it .

KCIndy
12-25-2011, 11:39 AM
As 69360 pointed out a bit earlier:

PRESIDENT RON PAUL WILL APPOINT THE SECRETARY (HEAD) OF EACH DEPARTMENT.

The head (secretary) of each department will then have virtually absolute power to dismantle as much of the department is possible. Obviously, it would not be able to be done all at once, but at the very least the Departments of Education, Energy, EPA etc will be drastically reigned in.

It can be - and probably will be - that simple.

RonPaulRevolution!
12-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Most of these departments are cabinet departments, which I believe is executive order. According to wikipedia (i know, i know, terrible source material) HUD was signed into law by LBJ, while the EPA was proposed by Nixon and sent to congress to be passed. So to get rid of a HUD he could do away with it with a pen stroke. But for the EPA it would take an act of congress.

Thanks. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.