PDA

View Full Version : Yeee Hawww! I converted a preacher to Ron Paul!

flybeech
12-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm Catholic, but have a dear old friend who is a protestant minister who really likes Ron Paul on almost everything, but he just couldn't get over Ron Paul's 'isolationist' views on Israel. For months, he was on the fence, but I sent him one video that pushed him over to Ron Paul, for good. What makes it more fun is this particular preacher has no qualms about preaching politics, whatsoever. He is waiting for the IRS to tell him he cannot preach whatever he wants.

All I can say is YEEEEE HAAAAWWW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ljxQn5nm8A

specsaregood
12-23-2011, 03:42 PM
excellent, i was waiting for a source to back that up.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-23-2011, 03:54 PM
+rep for you... Very inspiring story and I am glad you shared in the midst of so much doom and gloom.

vechorik
12-23-2011, 04:07 PM
+rep for you... Very inspiring story and I am glad you shared in the midst of so much doom and gloom.

Ditto -- including the "doom and gloom" part

jsem
12-23-2011, 04:08 PM
That is great!

Elwar
12-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Now convert him to catholicism...

:D

Cleaner44
12-23-2011, 04:35 PM
+rep

Thanks for sharing!

Whenever we find a great video that converts we need to make sure EVERYONE knows it.

Yesterday I found out that this video secured a person that was held up by the foriegn policy issue... Thanks Souther Avenger!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zVTs44unYWU
http://youtu.be/zVTs44unYWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVTs44unYWU

qh4dotcom
12-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Also remind him about "Thou shalt not kill".

LibertyEagle
12-23-2011, 05:02 PM
The video that the OP posted may be one of the most important videos of the campaign in winning over Christian Republicans. Spread it far and wide. It needs to go viral!

Sola_Fide
12-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Awesome video.

evadmurd
12-23-2011, 08:06 PM
What makes it more fun is this particular preacher has no qualms about preaching politics, whatsoever. He is waiting for the IRS to tell him he cannot preach whatever he wants.

That's great, but he no business "preaching politics" from the pulpit. As a Protestant evangelical, and quite politically opinionated, I bristle any time there is even a hint of politics from the pulpit. It is an abuse of power.

unknown
12-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Ahh yes. There's the man, they myth, the legend.

heavenlyboy34
12-23-2011, 08:19 PM
W00t! Nice vid, too. :)

heavenlyboy34
12-23-2011, 08:22 PM
That's great, but he no business "preaching politics" from the pulpit. As a Protestant evangelical, and quite politically opinionated, I bristle any time there is even a hint of politics from the pulpit. It is an abuse of power. Really? Jesus talked about politics, as did Paul. I'd think evangelicals would be very interested in looking at politics through their own philosophical lens. JMHO. I don't really know anything about evangelicals. :o

mosquitobite
12-23-2011, 08:31 PM
That's great, but he has no business "preaching politics" from the pulpit. As a Protestant evangelical, and quite politically opinionated, I bristle any time there is even a hint of politics from the pulpit. It is an abuse of power.

That sounds like what they say about teachers who pray in front of their class. ;)

Seriously though, I agree with you 50%. Preachers hold astronomical power/sway over their people (many of who are sheeple else Huckabee never would have gotten a single vote!) So while I'd like to say that a genuine, bible believing preacher is not an abuse of power - a heretic is - and I don't get to be Judge of that ;)

Aden
12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
That's great, but he no business "preaching politics" from the pulpit. As a Protestant evangelical, and quite politically opinionated, I bristle any time there is even a hint of politics from the pulpit. It is an abuse of power.

I'm born-again and do not believe it is an abuse of power. I believe the Bible, so give me a Bible verse (not your opinion) on why it is an abuse of power.

mosquitobite
12-23-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm born-again and do not believe it is an abuse of power. I believe the Bible, so give me a Bible verse (not your opinion) on why it is an abuse of power.

That's the point. Do you know how many denominations do not believe the Bible 100%? Don't you understand how they could abuse the power of their position with heresy?

Aden
12-23-2011, 09:01 PM
That's the point. Do you know how many denominations do not believe the Bible 100%? Don't you understand how they could abuse the power of their position with heresy?

Using that logic, not only should they abstain from preaching about politics-- they should abstain from preaching about anything.

mosquitobite
12-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Using that logic, not only should they abstain from preaching about politics-- they should abstain from preaching about anything.

LOL! I concur, but that doesn't stop people from sitting in their pews! ;)

evadmurd
12-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Really? Jesus talked about politics, as did Paul. I'd think evangelicals would be very interested in looking at politics through their own philosophical lens. JMHO. I don't really know anything about evangelicals. :o

The pulpit is to be used to preach the Word of God, not the word of he people, and certainly not the word of Washington. Certainly, as the Bible mentions government, etc., there is no problem with that. The problem comes when preachers begin to support and promote particular candidates from the pulpit.

One of the main problems with the church, as we all tend to agree, is the apparent love of warmongering and Israel worship. Why is that? I would propose that it is because too many preachers are already preaching their own recipe of the gospel as dictated by any particular party he/she so favors and not from the Bibile as they should. The congregations are led astray by buying into it. Whereas if they would just preach what they're supposed to the principles of peace, non-intervention, forgiveness and, dare I say, libertarianism, would come through. It is why the Bible warns that teachers of the Word are held to a higher standard. "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." James 3:1

J_White
12-23-2011, 10:44 PM
keep the focus, and keep working !

playboymommy
12-24-2011, 03:42 AM
I'm Catholic, but have a dear old friend who is a protestant minister who really likes Ron Paul on almost everything, but he just couldn't get over Ron Paul's 'isolationist' views on Israel. For months, he was on the fence, but I sent him one video that pushed him over to Ron Paul, for good. What makes it more fun is this particular preacher has no qualms about preaching politics, whatsoever. He is waiting for the IRS to tell him he cannot preach whatever he wants.

All I can say is YEEEEE HAAAAWWW!

+ rep for you! My mom is a minister and will not use the pulpit to endorse a candidate. But I think there's a huge difference between endorsing a candidate and preaching about the peace message of Jesus Christ. Preachers have the power to sway their congregation. It's up to the Christian whether or not they'll follow their Savior's advise at voting box.

Does the priest have this guy (http://www.djpauledge.com/wewillnotbesilenced/)'s charisma?

RickyJ
12-24-2011, 03:52 AM
I will never understand the blind allegiance so called "Christians" have toward the state of Israel.

I am glad your preacher friend came around, maybe he can wake up some of his fellow preachers and start a revival. :D

flybeech
12-24-2011, 07:17 AM

Would you propose the central government 'correct' ministers who preach the 'incorrect' messages? Is that the Libertarian way?

row333au
12-24-2011, 09:30 AM
I will never understand the blind allegiance so called "Christians" have toward the state of Israel.

I am glad your preacher friend came around, maybe he can wake up some of his fellow preachers and start a revival. :D

The three major religion that originated in the area and shared one common foundation of their religion are Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

As for the known Judeo-Christian (Jewish–Christian) to mean a combination of Jewish and Christian beliefs and by 1877 to mean a common Jewish–Christian culture, used in the phrase "the Jewish–Christian character of traditions"....refer to standards of ethics said to be held in common by Judaism and Christianity, for example the Ten Commandments. USA at the 1800s have a lot of Jewish converts to Christianity.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6519836009_90884a87bb_z.jpg

nbhadja
12-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Can someone PLEASE post a thread with this video on hannity forums called "Israeli PM agrees with Ron Paul"

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-24-2011, 05:36 PM
One would think preachers would be one of the more vocal and louder voices for liberty seeing as Christianity tought 'No King but King Jesus' and that the only dominion over yourselves is God & You. Christianity has a very anarchic strain and message (Hence Tolstoy and lots of others). Of course though, like anything a human touches there abounds corruption and the pursuit of power. I'm not really a religious person myself, but I can appreciate some of the things Christianity tought, while admonishing others, and overall if the Black Regiment were to return, I would be ecstatic.

The Black Regiment is a moniker that was given to the patriot-preachers of Colonial America. They were called the “Black Regiment” owing to the fact that so many of them had a propensity to wear long, black robes in the pulpit.

According to historian/educator Reverend Wayne Sedlak, in his article “The Black Regiment Led the Fight in Our War for Independence”:

It was British sympathizer Peter Oliver, who actually first used the name “Black Regiment.” He complained that such clergymen were invariably at the heart of the revolutionary disturbances. He tied their influence to such colonial leaders as Samuel Adams, James Otis and others of prominence in the cause. He quotes colonial leadership in its quest to gain the voice of the clergy. In one instance, he disparagingly cites a public plea of James Otis who sought the help of the clergy in a particular manner:

“Mr. Otis, understanding the Foibles of human Nature advanced one shrewd position which seldom fails to promote popular Commotions, that ‘it was necessary to secure the black Regiment.’ These were his Words and his meaning was to engage ye dissenting Clergy on his Side.... Where better could he fly for aid than to the Horns of the Altar?... This order of Men … like their Predecessors of 1641 … have been unceasingly sounding the Yell of Rebellion in the Ears of an ignorant and deluded People.”

So influential were the patriot-pulpits of Colonial America that it was said by Prime Minister Horace Walpole in the British Parliament, “Cousin America has run off with a Presbyterian parson.” In fact, America’s War for Independence was often referenced in Parliament as “the Presbyterian Revolt.” And during the Revolutionary War, British troops often made colonial churches military targets. Churches were torched, ransacked, and pillaged.

The exploits of the Black Regiment are legendary. When General George Washington asked Lutheran pastor John Peter Muhlenberg to raise a regiment of volunteers, Muhlenberg gladly agreed. Before marching off to join Washington’s army, he delivered a powerful sermon from Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 that concluded with these words: “The Bible tells us there is a time for all things and there is a time to preach and a time to pray, but the time for me to preach has passed away, and there is a time to fight, and that time has come now. Now is the time to fight! Call for recruits! Sound the drums!”

Then Muhlenberg took off his clerical robe to reveal the uniform of a Virginia colonel. Grabbing his musket from behind the pulpit, he donned his colonel’s hat and marched off to war. And as he did, more than 300 of his male congregants followed him.

Muhlenberg’s brother quotes John Peter as saying, “You may say that as a clergyman nothing can excuse my conduct. I am a clergyman, it is true, but I am a member of society as well as the poorest layman, and my liberty is as dear to me as any man. I am called by my country to its defense. The cause is just and noble. Were I a Bishop … I should obey without hesitation; and as far am I from thinking that I am wrong, I am convinced it is my duty so to do — a duty I owe to my God and my Country.”

evadmurd
12-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Would you propose the central government 'correct' ministers who preach the 'incorrect' messages? Is that the Libertarian way?

Huh? How is that question even related to what I said?

Aden
12-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Still waiting on a verse stating that it's an abuse of power.

cubical
12-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I always tell me Christian friends that you can support Israel without funding their bureaucrats. Then ask them if they believe if the Jews are God's chosen people. They should say yes. Then ask them if they really believe God needs the US to help Him protect Israel.

Sola_Fide
12-26-2011, 04:43 PM
One would think preachers would be one of the more vocal and louder voices for liberty seeing as Christianity tought 'No King but King Jesus' and that the only dominion over yourselves is God & You. Christianity has a very anarchic strain and message (Hence Tolstoy and lots of others). Of course though, like anything a human touches there abounds corruption and the pursuit of power. I'm not really a religious person myself, but I can appreciate some of the things Christianity tought, while admonishing others, and overall if the Black Regiment were to return, I would be ecstatic.

Thank for your post and quotes AED. To the people saying that they don't like "politics" from the pulpit, they would have hated living in early America. In early Calvinist America, the Bible was seen as a document that touched all of life, not just the life between the walls of church. Liberty was something that was seen as the Christian's duty to defend. It was not noble or religious to become statist slaves. The cause for liberty was intertwined with the cause for Jesus Christ. When Frenchman Alexis de Tocqueville traveled to America his observations led him to pen these now famous words:

Upon my arrival in the United States, the religious aspect of the country was the first thing that struck my attention; and the longer I stayed there, the more did I perceive the great political consequences resulting from this state of things, to which I was unaccustomed. In France I had almost always seen the spirit of religion and the spirit of freedom pursuing courses diametrically opposed to each other; but in America I found that they were intimately united, and that they reigned in common over the same country.

In France, because of the papacy, religion and freedom were opposed to one another, but in Calvinist America, freedom and religion were so intertwined that they were following the same course.

Sola_Fide
12-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Besides the waning of Calvinism in America, the other obvious reason for this statist religion we have today is the 501c3 status of most churches.

Many churches trade not being hounded by the IRS for just keeping quiet about any due condemnation of our government. My advice is to seek out churches who willingly reject being 501c3 creatures of the state.