PDA

View Full Version : Paul camp not worried about youth turnout- (IowaCaucus.com / Gazette)

PauliticsPolitics
12-23-2011, 10:14 AM
http://iowacaucus.com/2011/12/23/what%E2%80%99s-ahead-dec-23-paul-camp-not-worried-about-youth-turnout/

Good Read.

Bruno
12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Still, questions persist if young voters will actually go out on a cold Iowa night to hang around with people their parents’ ages to cast a straw vote for a guy old enough to be their grandfather.

“Hey, did they show up for Barack Obama?” asks Will Johnson, a tea party activist and Paul volunteer.

Skeptics say Obama was something of a phenomenon. They’d see the same sort of enthusiasm if they went to a Paul rally on a college campus. On homecoming weekend at the University of Iowa more than 1,200 people showed up to hear Paul. Some GOP multi-candidate events don’t attract that many people.

The GOP youth vote is overwhelmingly behind Paul, Johnson said.

Paulatized
12-23-2011, 11:29 AM
"His supporters are younger and more likely to reply on a cell phone, so he’s probably going to perform better than his polling suggests,” Peterson said. “His supporters also are dedicated and will likely turn out on caucus night and not change their minds.”

My favorite part of the article, :).

RonPaul101.com
12-23-2011, 11:34 AM
They should give away some cheap-brand beer at the caucus; that would be better than a blizzard...

PauliticsPolitics
12-23-2011, 11:36 AM
They should give away some cheap-brand beer at the caucus; that would be better than a blizzard...

Ha - PBR all the way for the hipster vote.

Adam West
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
This is reminiscent of 2007-2008, when young voters failed to show up. I think this time around it will be different.

If not, we are cactus!

SusanLanders
12-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I am going to Iowa! :)

bluesc
12-23-2011, 11:58 AM

You're lucky :D!

Welcome to the forums :)

sailingaway
12-23-2011, 11:58 AM
They didn't put Obama's caucus during winter break.

phone from home....

Umbro2914
12-23-2011, 12:00 PM
We turned out to CPAC, where we had to listen to Trumps bs, we showed up to VVS, and the half dozen other major straw polls; and the establishment / MSM questions whether we will turn up now, NOW WHEN IT ACTUALLY COUNTS? Get reallllll

parocks
12-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Agreed. If that's possible, yes.

Or, Free Beer at location X. Transportation to the caucus. Or free tickets to location Y given out at the caucus. Location Y has free beer.

Kegs of PBR.

Adam West
12-23-2011, 12:05 PM
We turned out to CPAC, where we had to listen to Trumps bs, we showed up to VVS, and the half dozen other major straw polls; and the establishment / MSM questions whether we will turn up now, NOW WHEN IT ACTUALLY COUNTS? Get reallllll

I get what you're saying... Put up or shut up!

parocks
They didn't put Obama's caucus during winter break.

phone from home....

According to Wikipedia, they sure did. The Iowa Caucuses were the same exact day - January 3, 2008.

The 2008 Iowa caucuses took place January 3 at 7 p.m. CT.[11] Candidates spent tens of millions of dollars on local television advertisements[12] and hundreds of paid staff[13] in dozens of field offices.[14] Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee were the eventual winners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_caucuses

sailingaway

+rep!

sailingaway
12-23-2011, 12:06 PM
According to Wikipedia, they sure did. The Iowa Caucuses were the same exact day - January 3, 2008.

The 2008 Iowa caucuses took place January 3 at 7 p.m. CT.[11] Candidates spent tens of millions of dollars on local television advertisements[12] and hundreds of paid staff[13] in dozens of field offices.[14] Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee were the eventual winners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_caucuses

woot!!!

I have NEVER been so glad to be wrong!!!

Thank you and +rep!!

Jamesiv1
12-23-2011, 12:08 PM

And some "5-hour Energy" :)

bluesc
12-23-2011, 12:09 PM
And some "5-hour Energy" :)

Jon Huntsman, is that you?

tsai3904
12-23-2011, 12:11 PM
It's not just about showing up.

I'm worried that most students registered to vote at their campus address and if they did that, they have to show up at that particular precinct caucus, which most likely won't happen since school will be out on break.

They can show up at any other precinct caucus, but they will have to re-register to vote and to do that, they have to bring proof of ID and proof of residence.

HOLLYWOOD
12-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Are there transportation arrangements organized to help supporters get to the polls? Say from like, Campuses? Malls? Senior/Assisted living Homes? VFWs?

Gotta get those RP voters to the precincts.

bluesc
12-23-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm worried that most students registered to vote at their campus address and if they did that, they have to show up at that particular precinct caucus, which most likely won't happen since school will be out on break.

They can show up at any other precinct caucus, but they will have to re-register to vote and to do that, they have to bring proof of ID and proof of residence.

I'm sure the campaign anticipates this. This is why Phone From Home is so important. We have the volunteers to cover the ground, we just need to identify the caucus goers.

They have been doing caucus training at campuses, and probably have mailers and emails ready to go to the students, and may make calls.

parocks
12-23-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm not sure that we really focused on registration at colleges. Why would we do that? It may be true in some cases, but I would guess not too often.

If people have a valid drivers licence with the right address, they can vote, is how I understand it. And we should stop voter registration right now. It's too late for any voter registration not at the caucus.

parocks
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Are there transportation arrangements organized to help supporters get to the polls? Say from like, Campuses? Malls? Senior/Assisted living Homes? VFWs?

Gotta get those RP voters to the precincts.

From?

From their house, to the caucus.

There are 2,000 caucus locations.

Ask - do you need a ride to the caucus? And have people to do that driving. If people can get to anywhere, they can get to the caucus. Apparently babysitting is something to think about, too.

If there was some sort of massive event during the day on January 3, and we had buses, we could take the people from the event to the various caucus locations by the buses that are there. There has been no massive event on January 3 announced.

tsai3904
12-23-2011, 12:44 PM
This should help:

Ron Paul Campaign Hosting a 5-day, 52-stop Caucus Training Tour From December 27-31, 2011

http://blog.4president.org/2012/2011/12/ron-paul-campaign-hosting-a-5-day-52-stop-caucus-training-tour-from-december-27-31-2011-iacaucus.html

bluesc
12-23-2011, 12:46 PM
This should help:

Ron Paul Campaign Hosting a 5-day, 52-stop Caucus Training Tour From December 27-31, 2011

http://blog.4president.org/2012/2011/12/ron-paul-campaign-hosting-a-5-day-52-stop-caucus-training-tour-from-december-27-31-2011-iacaucus.html

Indeed :D Awesome.

Suzu
12-23-2011, 02:31 PM
I have NEVER been so glad to be wrong!!!
Does it make a difference that in '08 the caucus was on Saturday, and this time it's on Tuesday?

Tax the Fed
12-23-2011, 02:40 PM
http://iowacaucus.com/2011/12/23/what%E2%80%99s-ahead-dec-23-paul-camp-not-worried-about-youth-turnout/

Good Read.

Thanks for posting this . . .

Everybuddy, please do keep in mind that the more new, young Republicans
that we have show up at the Iowa caucus across all the 99 counties,
then the more counties - and ultimately the most county delegates -
that we will win that go on to Des Moines in June 2012 to
decide the actual delegates for the August 2012 National Convention !

So, New Hampshire will - as always - decide the very first committed delegates for the convention.

Go NH !!
http://gopconvention2012.com/

Tax the Fed
12-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Does it make a difference that in '08 the caucus was on Saturday, and this time it's on Tuesday?

For what it is worth . . . with all due respect, the '08 caucus was on a Thursday at 7pm.

This election cycle four years later, it will be on a Tuesday at 7pm.

freedom-maniac
12-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Ha - PBR all the way for the hipster vote.

Dr. Paul's already going to get the Hipster vote. It's one of the advantages of not being a "mainstream" candidate.

parocks
12-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Dr. Paul's already going to get the Hipster vote. It's one of the advantages of not being a "mainstream" candidate.

Presumably, Hipsters will be voting for Ron Paul if they vote.

PBR is a GOTV tool.