PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from Phone from Home?

Drex
12-23-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm interested in Phone from Home but I'm still nervous. Are people mad that you call?

tbone717
12-23-2011, 10:10 AM
No not really. Sure you do get some people that don't take kindly to being called, but it's not a big deal. Don't let that stop you from making calls, it's needed for Paul to win and to win big.

sofia
12-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm interested in Phone from Home but I'm still nervous. Are people mad that you call?

Ya think the Redcoats were pissed when a rag tag bunch of outgunned Massachussets farmers started sniping at them?

I don't say this as an insult...but rather as a General Patton like motivation. (Smack! Smack!) Man up and pick up the phone. Nobody ever died from an occasional hang up....Go rent Braveheart and Gladiator....Take a breath and confront your fears. You'll be amazed at quickly the fear disappears when you stare it down!

NOW GO!!!

FA.Hayek
12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
People are generally nice, but don't take it personally when they hang up on you or tell you to stop calling, which I'm sure they get lots of polling, campaign calls living in those early primary states. Just have fun and keep in mind you're doing this for Ron Paul and think of all the crap he had had to put up with his entire political life.

FriedChicken
12-23-2011, 10:23 AM
lol @ sofia ... but he's right.

hazek
12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Ask a friend to pretend for you and call them to try it out with your own phone. Tell them to play out different scenarios: one where they are friendly and go along, second where they are hostile and third where they just hang up. Once you see that the world didn't end and you are still breathing after each of these scenarios it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Remember anything new is scary at first but after a while you'll get used to it, build confidence and handle it with ease. You just have to start.

SilentBull
12-23-2011, 10:27 AM

Yes, some, but you get used to it. I admit I haven't made enough calls. Most of the time no one picks up, and people are rude. But the more this happens, the less you care.

seapilot
12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

They are not mad more annoyed that they left the TV, or whatever they were doing to be interrupted. Some people do not want to give any information out because they do not want it publicly known. There are a lot of people are open to surveys if they know its going to be short. Best to call not too late or right at dinner time to avoid that.

Iowa is getting hammered by campaign calls so expect a lot of resistance there. If you are nervous and first time calling I would suggest calling Nevada if its not too late for you time wise. Many people there are open to political surveys and lots of RP voters there as well. I have had people thank me there after a survey and want to talk politics (which we are not supposed to get too deep into).The more you do it the easier and routine it gets. When you finally connect with a person that is chooses to vote for RP its all worth it.

vechorik
12-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Please try it. I understand your concern because I'm nervous and shy doing something like that.
I donated all I can afford to Dr. Paul and I wanted to help more.

I blog a lot for Dr. Paul and one day I realized something: Why on earth am I arguing with idiots that don't matter in the NOMINATION process?
The nomination is what's important. Most Americans just pull the D or R lever.

I bit the bullet and signed up for "call from home" -- I did not WANT to -- I felt that I HAD to.
I watched all the video tutorials I could find. Asked questions, and even though I didn't feel ready -- made the first call.

I was so nervous at first that my voice didn't even sound normal, but I pushed on.
I realized, as I went along, I got better!
I relaxed more, and could do a better job.

Yes, people will be rude. It's shocking at first, but you have to realize these people don't know you, they don't know it's the Ron Paul campaign and their rudeness hurts NO ONE. We don't care about the rude people. THEY are not the ones that will push for a nomination.

When we find someone willing to complete the survey -- that means they CARE -- That's the people we want. It's a great reward to me when I can get a survey completed, even when they are not a Ron Paul supporter. The campaign takes information from the survey for their next step.

Calling from home is the MOST IMPORTANT THING you can do to help Dr. Paul. He took time to make a video and ASK us to do this.
My love of Dr. Paul -- helps push past any hesitation, shyness, nervousness I might have had at the beginning.

After 6,000 calls, it's old hat to me. Rude people don't phase me and I browse the forums as the phone rings.
Please try it -- please!

+1 for even thinking about it!

Drex
12-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I would suggest calling Nevada if its not too late for you time wise
How do I switch it from Iowa to Nevada?

XTreat
12-23-2011, 10:45 AM

The people controlling the program do it automatically

seapilot
12-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Go to the Phone from Home page at 7pm pacific time and log in, that is when Nevada phone banks open. It says it right at the top where you dial in the number where the calls are being made to. Right now its Iowa, and sometimes its New Hampshire.

PismoPam
12-23-2011, 10:59 AM
People here tell me that they are getting far fewer calls than 2007, when Hilary and Obama called non stop.
It is true that most people simply don't answer, but when they do it is a very simple 1 or 2 minute survey.
Don't forget that MOST people do wish someone cared about their opinion!

We have super duper local folks making phone calls to the people YOU ARE FINDING who say Ron Paul is their second choice.
Believe me, knowing who those folks are is golden.

If it takes you an hour to get one person who answers the survey, that would have cost more than $10 if we had paid professionals!
So your time is not at all wasted, it is allowing us to focus and get those folks to the caucus.

There is a reason for this, it is helping so much, it shows that we aren't just internet junkies.

So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU from Fairfield Iowa!

seapilot
12-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Contacted another RP voter in Iowa out of 20 calls made. A lady answered and I asked who she was going to vote for, she said I am not sure I am pretty busy right now, then her husband in the background I could hear him saying RON PAUL. So she said Ron Paul.

vechorik
12-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Contacted another RP voter in Iowa out of 20 calls made.

That's absolutely great -- I'm getting mostly answering machines -- but ever onward!

Is the computer messing up the sound quality of some of the calls?
Sometimes things are loud and clear.
Sometimes terrible sound.

I'm also getting message "this party doesn't accept calls from a blocked number. Please unblock your number and call again"

lib3rtarian
12-23-2011, 01:13 PM
A lady here had mentioned someone asking an inappropriate question. So keep that in mind too, that some weird people can be out there answering phones. Yesterday I roped in my sis-in-law to make a few calls and had to warn her about this after reading it in the forum here. I told her in the unlikely event something like that happens, just calmly hang up and mark the voter as "Do Not Call" in the survey.

JamesButabi
12-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Anybody nervous about doing phone from home are welcomed to PM me. I will give you my cellphone number and email you the script used. You can then call me a few times and I will give you the most common responses so you get used to it.

Eric21ND
12-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Drex join the Phone banking facebook group, they will answer all your questions within mins. Follow the link in my signature.

unknown
12-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Its only a few questions, theres no campaigning. We dont even leave messages, theres a button for that...