PDA

View Full Version : setting up TeaParty07.com- tech help please!

SwordOfShannarah
11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey all- just wanted to check with any techies out there about setting up this domain. I don't usually work with A records..

Basically the domain is under NathanielYao's name and yahoo is the registrar. We can't transfer the domain due to an icann rule (you can't do it if the domain is less than 60 days old) but NathanielYao has given me access to his Yahoo account.

I changed the nameservers via yahoo and they seem to be ok (they took). The site however did not come up so I called my hosting and found I have to modify the A record because of the way the hosting account is set up. So I went back into yahoo and modified the A record for the domain there.

My host told me this can take up 24 hours to take and that the site should be good to go by about 8 am tomorrow.

Does this sound right? Does anything sound incorrect?

Thanks for the feedback!

nathanielyao
11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Please do help, we need to get this domain thing fixed!

ShowMeLiberty
11-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes that all sounds correct. I've been in the web site development & hosting business for over 5 years and I have often told clients that domain changes can take up to 48 hours to be completely updated.

I just did a quick check of the URL and I get a while page with the text "Coming soon..."

billjarrett
11-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Are you nameservers supposed to be:

ns29.domaincontrol.com internet address = 64.202.165.19
ns30.domaincontrol.com internet address = 208.109.80.73

That is what I am showing for your domain form here at work. But when I try to look up your NS records from http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Tools/nslookup.php , I get nothing showing.

What are your nameservers supposed to be?

SwordOfShannarah
11-08-2007, 02:47 PM
OK great- I can't see it live yet but just to be sure.. I just uploaded again and added some more text. Can you let me know what is says?

Green Mountain Boy
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
OK great- I can't see it live yet but just to be sure.. I just uploaded again and added some more text. Can you let me know what is says?

Coming soon...

another test..

SwordOfShannarah
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Are you nameservers supposed to be:

ns29.domaincontrol.com internet address = 64.202.165.19
ns30.domaincontrol.com internet address = 208.109.80.73

That is what I am showing for your domain form here at work. But when I try to look up your NS records from http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Tools/nslookup.php , I get nothing showing.

What are your nameservers supposed to be?

yes those are the correct nameservers

ShowMeLiberty
11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Coming soon...

another test..

That's what I see.

GHoeberX
11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I get a "server not found" error when I surf to www.teaparty07.com

nathanielyao
11-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys!!

So the website is starting to work properly for some!!

ShowMeLiberty
11-08-2007, 02:54 PM
I get a "server not found" error when I surf to www.teaparty07.com

That's why the web host will say it takes up to 24 hours or more. It's not all at once - it takes a while for the updated information to make its way to all the DNS servers of the world.

nathanielyao
11-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your help!

That's why the web host will say it takes up to 24 hours or more. It's not all at once - it takes a while for the updated information to make its way to all the DNS servers of the world.

GHoeberX
11-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys!!

So the website is starting to work properly for some!!

Probably doesn't work for me as I'm in Europe and DNS-servers are not yet updated over here.

I just did a flushdns and now it works :)

Try this Trevor:

click start -> run
type "cmd"
type "ipconfig /flushdns"

and try the site again ;)

SwordOfShannarah
11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Probably doesn't work for me as I'm in Europe and DNS-servers are not yet updated over here.

I just did a flushdns and now it works :)

Try this Trevor:

click start -> run
type "cmd"
type "ipconfig /flushdns"

and try the site again ;)

I'm still not getting it but yes that was the second piece of text I added.

I'll be working on the site now and we should have this in place and ready to go for all by tomorrow morning. I've got two other sites to add as well.. they can come next..

ronpaulyourmom
11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
No offense to the guys spearheading this, because you guys are freaking awesome, but...

Would it hurt to get some really hardcore experts who code web-related stuff for a living in on this project? I would imagine there are many Ron Paul supporters who are nothing short of amazing in this department, and we should be using them to increase the functionality of the fundraising drive as quickly as possible.

This could be the biggest day for the grassroots this year; we should leverage the skill of the community to the fullest. I think we should move beyond just Dreamweaver and a few embedded videos.

kevman657
11-08-2007, 03:10 PM
No offense to the guys spearheading this, because you guys are freaking awesome, but...

Would it hurt to get some really hardcore experts who code web-related stuff for a living in on this project? I would imagine there are many Ron Paul supporters who are nothing short of amazing in this department, and we should be using them to increase the functionality of the fundraising drive as quickly as possible.

This could be the biggest day for the grassroots this year, we should leverage the skill of the community to the fullest. I think we should move beyond just Dreamweaver and a few embedded videos.

? There are plenty of people on here who are good with websites. I've been in the web hosting biz for a few years, Jordan knows coding, and a couple of people who helped out with the DNS in this thread said they were web techs too.

We are helping...we just did. Now I do believe they need to get another host, but they won't tell me who their host is. I guarantee you, especially after seeing what happened to the thisnov. website, the site will slow down tremendously on the fund raising day.

Brian Bailey
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM

This could be the biggest day for the grassroots this year; we should leverage the skill of the community to the fullest. I think we should move beyond just Dreamweaver and a few embedded videos.

I think this is a great idea.

As long as it is someone that has been around on here for a while and we can all vouch for them, it would probably be safe. Otherwise, unfortunately, we do have to consider the possibility sabotage.

GHoeberX
11-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Okay; I already suggested to Trevor that he should use a bit higher compression for his designs, because if for example the background is 60kb instead of 120kb, it will make a HUGE difference when millions of people open the site.

I worked for webcoding companies and that's the only thing which can/should be improved IMO.

ShowMeLiberty
11-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I think this is a great idea.

As long as it is someone that has been around on here for a while and we can all vouch for them, it would probably be safe. Otherwise, unfortunately, we do have to consider the possibility sabotage.

I agree about being careful but wouldn't "Thanks for your donation" emails from RonPaul2008.com be enough to show sincerity? You know - a "put your money where your mouth is" kind of thing? Just having signed up on this particular forum recently doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just a thought.

Mckarnin
11-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Not a techie but when I go to www.teaparty07.com I get a simple page with a border of fall leaves and text in the center.

NinjaPirate
11-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I had:

Coming soon...

another test..

but after I flushed my dns, it doesn't come up anymore.

Jobarra
11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Whereever you get the site up, prepare for traffic. CNN just shot pictures of the forums and the graphics and talked about Tea Party 07 :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SW_1iA3-V8
BTW, not my upload.

You KNOW you're doing well when they report on a website that isn't even up yet LOL. Good work all.