PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Pundits Discount Dustup Over Racially-Charged Ron Paul Newsletter

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 10:01 PM
David Yepsen, who covered the Iowa caucuses for more than three decades as the Des Moines Register’s political editor, said the tussle is a last-minute effort to stem Paul’s rise in the polls that likely won’t have much effect on voters and could backfire.

“This came up four years ago, and I don’t see where that’s hurt him,” said Yepsen, now the director of the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. “If I’m a Ron Paul voter, I may have known about it and don’t care about it, or I didn’t know about it and it’s not a big deal because I’m for him for another reason.”

Yepsen said Iowa caucus-goers “place a big discount on this last-minute stuff.”

“It smacks of dirty tricks and last-minute desperation,” he said. “I won’t say never, because last-minute things can work. Bringing up George W. Bush’s drunken driving conviction in Maine came out in the last few days in 2000, and it did cost him some points.

“But that was a new allegation and this is digging up something old. I just think people discount that.”

more at link: http://westdesmoines.patch.com/articles/iowa-pundits-discount-dustup-over-racially-charged-paul-newsletter

garyallen59
12-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Good to hear.

sevin
12-22-2011, 10:07 PM
I, like many people here I'm sure, was pretty worried about this at first. But now it looks as though it won't hurt his numbers much (if at all) and only makes the media look bad. I guess I should have known better than to panic. In fact, I almost think that's what things like this are about: making Ron Paul supporters freak out and cause more problems than they solve.

StudentForPaul08
12-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I think people need to cheer up. The truth will win. Watch some Ron Paul videos to cheer up and get inspired! Everything is not lost, we are so close to winning!

tool
12-22-2011, 10:09 PM
New Ron Paul Ad: The System Is Biased against the Middle Class and the Poor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV8rYVxNCtY

NIU Students for Liberty
12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't know if this makes a difference but how many people are actually hearing about this? Christmas is around the corner and many of the talking heads (Hannity, O'Reliey, etc) are on vacation.

pauladin
12-22-2011, 10:11 PM
we're forgetting that to be a Ron Paul supporter, you've essentially ALREADY woken up to the mainstream media's bs.

ronpaulfollower999
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
I, like many people here I'm sure, was pretty worried about this at first. But now it looks as though it won't hurt his numbers much (if at all) and only makes the media look bad. I guess I should have known better than to panic. In fact, I almost think that's what things like this are about: making Ron Paul supporters freak out and cause more problems than they solve.

Agree. In fact I had this conversation with my mom earlier today. The msm is just trying to demoralize us.

lx43
12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I think the establishment is freaking out about the rise of RP and are starting to see him as a threat to their power.

parocks
12-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I think the establishment is freaking out about the rise of RP and are starting to see him as a threat to their power.

The establishment has realized that plan A - Ignore Ron Paul - is seeming to be ineffective, and are going now onto Plan B - Attack Ron Paul.

I think they've always thought of him as a threat to their power, but they're handling it differently now.

icon124
12-22-2011, 11:07 PM
All I can say is notice when everyone else was so called "top-tier" they were first praised for what they did....and then people saw their records.

In our case as soon as we become "top-tier" we were immediately attacked. Really simple actually....

sanssq
12-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Urge all to read the following by Justin Raimondo of Antiwar.com http://takimag.com/article/why_the_beltway_libertarians_are_trying_to_smear_r on_paul/#axzz1h0nfwejq

The second analysis is even more detailed with someone who actually read all the newsletters did not just cherry picking them for dirt: http://www.scribd.com/doc/76280303/PaulNewslettersFaq-Tunk

The third is a followup from Raimondo: http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2011/12/20/we-shall-overcome/

Pass on these links for all that are interested. If you are short on time, read the third one. It explains the exact sources of the attack on Paul.

seapilot
12-22-2011, 11:13 PM
The only way they win is if WE the people that support Ron Paul with donations and time give up on him. That is not going to happen.

trey4sports
12-22-2011, 11:19 PM
voice of reason. some posters seem to think the sky is falling....

Jason Sallee
12-22-2011, 11:23 PM
We have to keep our spirits up. Perhaps this poem is appropriate. A favorite of a very influential leader in a country that was all about racism until he came along. I take inspiration from this poem and from Nelson Mandela and think it applies well in this current time for Ronald Ernest Paul and for us.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley [emphasis added :)]

CUnknown
12-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Exactly. And add to this that the voters are already angered at the media hounding of Herman Cain, so they are especially aware and resistant to attacks coming from the media right now, I think. I don't think it's going to be a cakewalk, but this particular thing is not a big deal, imo.

coastie
12-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Exactly. And add to this that the voters are already angered at the media hounding of Herman Cain, so they are especially aware and resistant to attacks coming from the media right now, I think. I don't think it's going to be a cakewalk, but this particular thing is not a big deal, imo.

This. After talking to neighbors today, I feel much better.

What I noticed today is that everyone is genuinely surprised that something like that came up under his name. That right there, I think, is very telling.

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 11:30 PM
We have to keep our spirits up. Perhaps this poem is appropriate. A favorite of a very influential leader in a country that was all about racism until he came along. I take inspiration from this poem and from Nelson Mandela and think it applies well in this current time for Ronald Ernest Paul and for us.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley [emphasis added :)]

nice

harikaried
12-22-2011, 11:39 PM
“Walking off wasn’t a good way to handle it, and it made him look bad,” Hagle said. “He’s getting a close-up look he’s managed to escape up until now. From his point of view, he has answered all of this and his supporters would agree or they simply don’t care.”

http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/coursesframe.htm
Professor Timothy M. Hagle -- Department of Political Science
timothy-hagle@uiowa.edu

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/coursesframe.htm
Professor Timothy M. Hagle -- Department of Political Science
timothy-hagle@uiowa.edu

don't spam him

RonPaulFanInGA
12-23-2011, 12:01 AM
The Washington Post says this has created a ceiling on Paul's support. :rolleyes:

gerryb
12-23-2011, 12:07 AM
The Washington Post says this has created a ceiling on Paul's support. :rolleyes:

They are correct.

You can't go higher than #1

low preference guy
12-23-2011, 12:07 AM

a ceiling of 35%? or one of 51%?

svobody
12-23-2011, 12:42 AM
nicelol timothy mcveigh was a rather large fan of this poem as well

Jandrsn21
12-23-2011, 12:45 AM
They are correct.

You can't go higher than #1

Post of the day! :D

sailingaway
12-23-2011, 12:45 AM
lol timothy mcveigh was a rather large fan of this poem as well

curious thing to know, but it isn't the poem's fault.

J_White
12-23-2011, 12:46 AM
right ! we should focus on doing something positive for the Campaign, than get ruffled by these attacks. there is more to come.
but we should keep working !

mello
12-23-2011, 02:30 AM
What would be cool to see is another spike in the polls pushing Ron Paul even higher. It would be sweet blowback from the MSM blatantly trying to marginalize him before the Iowa Caucus.

svobody
12-23-2011, 03:13 AM
curious thing to know, but it isn't the poem's fault.of course not, very famous regardless, just pointing out that it was his last "words" (handwritten by him), just a bit of trivia

qwerty
12-23-2011, 03:19 AM
THIS IS SOMETHING EVERYBODY MUST READ AND THEN FOCUS ON THESE 3 STEPS!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?341036-3-steps-to-win.-3-EASY-steps-you-have-the-tools-in-front-of-you-will-you-use-the-tools

randomname
12-23-2011, 04:47 AM

Along with the Weekly Standard and the New Republic, the Washington Post have been the most vocal anti-Paul outlet lately

Expatriate
12-23-2011, 04:59 AM
Bringing up George W. Bush’s drunken driving conviction in Maine came out in the last few days in 2000, and it did cost him some points.

Hah, imagine what they would do if RP had a drunk driving conviction :p

JuicyG
12-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Along with the Weekly Standard and the New Republic, the Washington Post have been the most vocal anti-Paul outlet lately

They should have their name changed into something more suitable. How does "The Washington Insider" sound?

Aratus
12-23-2011, 01:11 PM
the WaPo has been the WaPo since after the Civil War.
check out robert redford's flic THE CONSPIRATOR and
notice the cute guy who plays the defense attorney
at the military trial. the fellow went on to help found
the Washington Post in real life. tis a history lesson...

Bruno
12-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I like Yepsen. I attended a private session with a group where he discussed the caucuses, and he had a lot of respect for Ron Paul and his support.

Aratus
12-23-2011, 01:49 PM
someone has evidently punk'd and prank'd doctor ron paul with push poll robocalls that send angry iowans phone~wise to the HQ!!!

the sincere discrete word is that this is only the start of the maddening season that may equal 2008's ignoble worst moments of this.