PDA

View Full Version : Bachmann, Santorum and Huntsman not on Virginia ballot

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 06:54 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/22/bachmann-santorum-and-huntsman-not-on-virginia-ballot/

and Gingrich had to pay people to collect signatures.

So, seems to me the others aren't real national candidates. Of course Gingrich missed a couple too, didn't he?

Aratus
12-22-2011, 06:58 PM
please please please please please say that doctor ron paul is on the virginia ballot!

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Randy Travis isn't as popular in Virginia :cool:

Aratus
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
four candidates have filed the appropiate paperwork, and hopefully doctor ron paul's has no flaws!

12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Like it matters, they will be out of the race by then anyway.

eduardo89
12-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Does anyone have a list of other states candidates haven't qualified for? I'm sure Gingrich is not on some ballots...

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 07:18 PM
I think Gingrich didn't make Ohio or something, but I'm not sure. Reading later articles it looks like Gingrich and Perry both have enough signatures in Virginia if they are all good, but their margin of error isn't very high if they are not all good. You need 10000 and each had 11,000 + only. Ron had something like 14,000 +.

Here is Hotair on that point. A lot of them like Gingrich. h xxp://hotair.com/archives/2011/12/22/fiasco-bachmann-huntsman-santorum-fail-to-make-virginia-ballot/

That’s not even the worst part. The worst part is that Perry and Gingrich, either one of whom could still become the Great Grassroots Hope against Romney, might not have qualified either. You need 10,000 signatures to make the ballot but 15,000 are recommended since a bunch are bound to be thrown out as false or duplicative as the petitions are scrutinized. You also need at least 600 signatures from each of Virginia’s 11 congressional districts. Romney submitted 16,026 and Ron Paul submitted 14,361. Perry’s total: 11,911. Gingrich’s: 11,050. If they end up getting bounced, the Republican primary ballot for one of America’s key swing states will consist exclusively of … Mitt Romney and Ron Paul.

You know who that benefits?...

Larry Sabato expects the state GOP will turn a “blind eye” to any signature problems on Perry’s or Gingrich’s petitions. I’ll bet. Question for political junkies, then: How could Bachmann, Huntsman, and Santorum have failed this epically? Is it a simple matter of lacking the resources to put people in the field collecting signatures or is it a sign of deep organizational dysfunction that should rightly disqualify them from the race?

Todd
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Virginia is a tough little state with some funky rules for getting on the ballot. It was a close call for Dr. Paul in 07 as well.

eduardo89
12-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Id love it of Gingrich failed because he only got 399 valid signatures in one district!

How exactly do they "verify" signatures?

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Id love it of Gingrich failed because he only got 399 valid signatures in one district!

How exactly do they "verify" signatures?

I believe against voter registration rolls to rule out any someone scribbled down just to get rid of the person pestering them. Also, 600 need to be from each district.

eduardo89
12-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Just looked it up, Gingrich WILL be on the Ohio ballot, but won't be on the Missouri ballot. However, I think Missouri is holding both a primary and a caucus, the primary will not count for delegates though.

squirekyle
12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
This battle has always been about Romney V. Paul, Paul V. Romney in my opinion, delegate spots are full in most states for those two, in TN especially.

eduardo89
12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
I believe against voter registration rolls to rule out any someone scribbled down just to get rid of the person pestering them. Also, 600 need to be from each district.

400 per district ;)

Virginia’s ballot requirements are far more stringent than other states. The commonwealth requires candidates gather 10,000 signatures from registered Virginia supporters, and must ensure that at least 400 of those signatures come from each of Virginia’s eleven Congressional districts.

Also, couldn't a campaign just get a hold of a voter list and write down random names? How can they actually control that?

Oh and it should be noted that only Romney, Perry and Gingrich actually file on time for Ohio. However, the law is expected to be changed moving the filing deadline to March, although it hasn't passed yet.

eduardo89
12-22-2011, 07:31 PM

400 per district ;)

Virginia’s ballot requirements are far more stringent than other states. The commonwealth requires candidates gather 10,000 signatures from registered Virginia supporters, and must ensure that at least 400 of those signatures come from each of Virginia’s eleven Congressional districts.

Also, couldn't a campaign just get a hold of a voter list and write down random names? How can they actually control that?

Oh and it should be noted that only Romney, Perry and Gingrich actually file on time for Ohio. However, the law is expected to be changed moving the filing deadline to March, although it hasn't passed yet.

FordGTGuy
12-22-2011, 07:31 PM
please please please please please say that doctor ron paul is on the virginia ballot!

Virginia is a huge military commonwealth, he is on there.

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 07:33 PM
400 per district ;)

I guess the 600 was for the 1.5 times requirement recommendation.

ZanZibar
12-22-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIrhVo1WA78

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 07:34 PM
400 per district ;)

I believe the law changing it to March has passed but 'goes into effect' in January. But it will be for the next election.

FordGTGuy
12-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Virginia is a tough little state with some funky rules for getting on the ballot. It was a close call for Dr. Paul in 07 as well.

Commonwealth*

The good thing is that even if it's hard for candidates to get on the ballot it's open so you don't have to register to a certain party.

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Commonwealth*

The good thing is that even if it's hard for candidates to get on the ballot it's open so you don't have to register to a certain party.

yeah, but it is a suburb of DC. Ron's downsizing government will be seen as a threat by many.

FordGTGuy
12-22-2011, 07:40 PM
yeah, but it is a suburb of DC. Ron's downsizing government will be seen as a threat by many.

You have to remember that Virginia's largest cities, which are all in Hampton Roads, are military towns.

thehungarian
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Larry Sabato was thinking aloud on twitter that it may only be Ron and Mitt on the ballot because Perry and Newt have just barely enough signatures and a lot may be disqualified, bringing them below the 10k threshold.

VBRonPaulFan
12-22-2011, 07:51 PM

nah. i live in chesapeake and work in virginia beach. i've had a ron paul 2012 bumper sticker on my car for months now and I get honks and thumb ups for it all the time.

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-22-2011, 07:53 PM
nah. i live in chesapeake and work in virginia beach. i've had a ron paul 2012 bumper sticker on my car for months now and I get honks and thumb ups for it all the time.I was in NJ holding up a Ron Paul sign on our primary day and got lots of honks and horns, but the turnout was terrible :( I'm sure it'll be a ton better this year though :D

118pass
12-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Larry Sabato was thinking aloud on twitter that it may only be Ron and Mitt on the ballot because Perry and Newt have just barely enough signatures and a lot may be disqualified, bringing them below the 10k threshold.

I posted the same earlier:

@LarrySabato Larry Sabato
VA GOP is in a pickle. Most petitions have many invalid signatures, 10,000 valid required; 15,000 recommended. Newt:11,050. Perry:11,911
57 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by allahpundit and 18 others

musicmax
12-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Who from RP2012 has been assigned the responsibility of making sure that the VA GOP follows its own rules?

skyorbit
12-22-2011, 08:26 PM
This is actually kind of too bad, since although I have very serious disagreements with Bachman, Huntsman, and SAntorum, at least they're their own person. I guess Virginia will be Ron Paul vs the 3 Clones. Good for us I guess.

gerryb
12-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I hope the campaign has some folks verifying the petitions of the other candidates

12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
I hope the campaign has some folks verifying the petitions of the other candidates

It's easy work. Just compare the list to the GOP registered voter list looking for unregistered and duplicates.

FordGTGuy
12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Ron Paul vs Mitt Romney vs Mitt Romney vs Newt Gingrich

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 08:38 PM
It's easy work. Just compare the list to the GOP registered voter list looking for unregistered and duplicates.

Sabato indicated he didn't think the GOP would look too hard at Perry's and Gingrich's.

12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Sabato indicated he didn't think the GOP would look too hard at Perry's and Gingrich's.

It's the other campaigns that do the ballot signature challenges, not the party.

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 08:41 PM
It's the other campaigns that do the ballot signature challenges, not the party.

kewl!

dvalukis
12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Just goes to show whole REALLY is in this to be president. I wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann was put up by the Rep. Party to try to split Paul votes in Iowa, knowing that he would have a decent turn out in 2012. She's, "Tea Party" and from Iowa. All her strengths say Iowa, midwest, female voters, hacked tea party candidate, and that's it.

TheViper
12-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Dr. Paul has received 4 times more money from government employees than Mitt Romney. And 5 times as much as Rick perry.

He also leads in donations from government contractors. And we already know he has received more from active duty military than all other candidates combined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FpR9KT6houM

It's a threat the the higher ups but the average government worker apparently supports the good doctor.

KEEF
12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Could it be maybe they never intended on being on the ballot anyways? Maybe they were told to run as distraction candidates so to dilute RP's message. Not like the government and media has never pulled the "Hey general public people, look over here at the big shiny toy...never mind the man behind the curtain."

sailingaway
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Could it be maybe they never intended on being on the ballot anyways? Maybe they were told to run as distraction candidates so to dilute RP's message. Not like the government and media has never pulled the "Hey general public people, look over here at the big shiny toy...never mind the man behind the curtain."

I read an article that rang true at the time that people who run 'organization' campaigns just to get their foot in the door for a later contest, or to get their name a higher profile, don't really do the grunt work including delegates. Kinda looks like that.

sparebulb
12-22-2011, 09:09 PM

Perhaps Newt's good friend Barry let him borrow his auto-pen to get that last-minute 10,000 signatures.