PDA

View Full Version : Not enough focus on getting supporters properly registered

tsai3904
12-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Is there enough focus on getting supporters properly registered to vote?

I'm working with a Facebook group in a closed caucus state (you must be a registered Republican to vote) and I have a voter registration list that I received from the Secretary of State. After reviewing it, over 40% of the people in our Facebook group are not registered as Republicans.

This is a serious problem and I don't see this addressed as much.

Everyone needs to know the voter registration rules in their state: whether or not you need to be a registered Republican, when the deadlines are, etc.

You can find information for your state here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?315740-State-by-State-Voting-Information

Once you know the rules, make sure all the supporters you come in contact with understand the rules too, especially in closed states where you MUST be a registered Republican.

parocks
12-22-2011, 05:20 PM
agree

aclove
12-22-2011, 05:25 PM
This is because the campaign's focus has been outreach to Likely Republican Voters; i.e., voters who are already registered Republican and who vote consistently in primaries. 4 years ago we all fooled ourselves into thinking that we were going to win because a bunch of independents and Democrats would change their voter registrations and that the polling wasn't catching them.

They didn't, and we lost. Badly.

The strategy we're using now is working. We're first in Iowa and second in New Hampshire and moving up. You don't win primaries by convincing people to change their voter registrations. It's a hassle and most people simply won't do it. You win primaries by selling your candidate to the people who are already registered and always vote.

tsai3904
12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
The strategy we're using now is working. We're first in Iowa and second in New Hampshire and moving up. You don't win primaries by convincing people to change their voter registrations. It's a hassle and most people simply won't do it. You win primaries by selling your candidate to the people who are already registered and always vote.

Did you not read my post? I said I'm part of a Ron Paul Facebook group and over 40% of the people are not properly registered. These are all LIKELY Ron Paul voters. If these likely Ron Paul voters are not properly registered, many around the country are not also.

I'm not asking you to convince complete strangers to register Republican. I'm saying that amongst our supporters, there are many who are not properly registered and they need to be made aware of what the rules are.

When New York's deadline to register Republican came in October, there were hundreds of supporters who were unaware of the deadline and if no one brought it up, they all would not have been able to vote. These were not likely Republican voters, they were guaranteed Ron Paul voters.

walt
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
This is because the campaign's focus has been outreach to Likely Republican Voters; i.e., voters who are already registered Republican and who vote consistently in primaries. 4 years ago we all fooled ourselves into thinking that we were going to win because a bunch of independents and Democrats would change their voter registrations and that the polling wasn't catching them.

They didn't, and we lost. Badly.

Maybe the hyperfocus on one state (and one party) will turn out to be a bad strategy later.

+rep tsai3904

tremendoustie
12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Did you not read my post? I said I'm part of a Ron Paul Facebook group and over 40% of the people are not properly registered. These are all LIKELY Ron Paul voters.

That's a problem worth addressing -- those in a closed primary state need to make absolutely sure every RP supporter they know registers.

Aclove was just saying that our focus this time is on converting those who are already republicans -- and it's working. The folks on your FB group are not going to be polled as likely republican voters -- but we're still doing well in the polls among those who are.

If we can get lots of Ds and Is to change their registration, it'll be a huge bonus, on top of our current success.

parocks
12-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Or people who aren't registered at all.

hueylong
12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Registering people can be a function of the grassroots. At this stage, registration efforts function at the margin... The campaign already has a pretty full plate.

tsai3904
12-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Registering people can be a function of the grassroots. At this stage, registration efforts function at the margin... The campaign already has a pretty full plate.

Yes, this is what I meant. This should be the grassroots focus, not the campaign's.

We all need to know the rules for our own state and the upcoming deadlines (like 12/30 for Kentucky and 1/3 for Florida). Just by posting these messages on the Facebook pages or keeping the threads here and at DailyPaul bumped will reach someone who was completely unaware. I've gotten the RonPaul12 facebook page to post the last couple deadlines and in the messages, there have always been people who say thanks because they were not properly registered.

panax
12-22-2011, 07:07 PM
When you are out canvassing first you need to identify potential supporters and find out what issues they care about as well as if they are registered to vote or not. Then later you send some other people out to them to persuade the undecideds to ron paul. At the same time you help them register to vote. Bring voter registration forms with you. You make sure all the supporters are registered to vote by the deadline. You can follow up with them if they are not. You can bring them a form almost filled out and ready for them to complete if you have to and help them mail it in. This is the most important thing that can be done to win.
Also we should target more independents as well as the republicans because they can really help ron paul.
It may be too late to do this in some states. It should be done as early as possible by as many people as possible.

eduardo89
12-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Completely agree that more needs to be done.

Everyone here should look up the voter registration process in their state and print out some forms. Offer to help everyone you know to fill them out and mail them in for them! That's the easiest way to make sure it gets done. I'm sure a lot of states allow online registration too, do it with your friends!

beardedlinen
12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
bump

eleganz
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
This is still an important issue no matter how you look at it. I have a large stack of registration forms in my trunk, everybody should do the same.

InTradePro
12-24-2011, 09:37 AM
This is still an important issue no matter how you look at it. I have a large stack of registration forms in my trunk, everybody should do the same.

+Rep.Yes.