PDA

View Full Version : A Foreign Policy for Republicans

axiomata
12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
This is a very useful excerpt from Robert "Mr Republican" Taft's book entitled A Foreign Policy for Americans (http://mises.org/books/taft.pdf) that is an excellent example to show Republicans how Paul's foreign policy is firmly rooted in Republican tradition.

I do not believe it is a selfish goal for us to insist that the overriding purpose of all American foreign policy should be the maintenance of the liberty and the peace of the people of the United States, so that they may achieve that intellectual and material improvement which is their genius and in which they can set an example for all people. By that example we can do an even greater service to mankind than we can by billions of material assistance—and more than we can ever do by war.

Just as our nation can be destroyed by war it can also be destroyed by a political or economic policy at home which destroys liberty or breaks down the fiscal and economic structure of the United States. We cannot adopt a foreign policy which gives away all of our people’s earnings or imposes such a tremendous burden on the individual American as, in effect, to destroy his incentive and his ability to increase production and productivity in his standard of living. We cannot assume a financial burden in our foreign policy so great that it threatens liberty at home.

It follows that except as such policies may ultimately protect our own security, we have no primary interest as a national policy to improve the conditions or material welfare in other parts of the world or to change other forms of government.* Certainly we should not engage in war to achieve such purposes.* I don’t mean to say that, as responsible citizens of the world, we should not gladly extend charity or assistance to those in need.* I do not mean to say that we should not align ourselves with the advocates of freedom everywhere. We did this kind of thing for many years, and we were respected as the most disinterested and charitable nation in the world.

Nor do I believe we can justify war by our natural desire to bring freedom to others throughout the world, although it is perfectly proper to encourage and promote freedom. In 1941 President Roosevelt announced that we were going to establish a moral order throughout the world: freedom of speech and expression, “everywhere in the world”; freedom to worship God “everywhere in the world”; freedom from want, and freedom from fear “everywhere in the world.” I pointed out then that the forcing of any special brand of freedom and democracy on a people, whether they want it or not, by the brute force of war will be a denial of those very democratic principles which we are striving to advance.

If we confine our activities to the field of moral leadership we shall be successful if our philosophy is sound and appeals to the people of the world. The trouble with those who advocate this policy is that they really do not confine themselves to moral leadership. They are inspired with the same kind of New Deal planned-control ideas as recent Administrations have desired to enforce at home. In their hearts they want to force on these foreign people through the use of American money and even, perhaps, American arms the policies which moral leadership is able to advance only through the sound strength of its principles and the force of persuasion. I do not think this moral leadership ideal justifies our engaging in any preventive war, or going to the defense of one country against another, or getting ourselves into a vulnerable fiscal and economic position at home which may invite war. I do not believe any policy which has behind it the threat of military force is justified as part of the basic foreign policy of the United States except to defend the liberty of our own people.

—Robert A. Taft, A Foreign Policy for Americans, 1951

lakerssuck92
12-22-2011, 02:18 PM
How soon people forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc

SonofThunder
12-22-2011, 02:22 PM
what it has morphed into: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?341216-We-are-still-suffering-from-Bush-Derangement-Syndrome

mosquitobite
12-22-2011, 02:25 PM
They have completely bought into the war propaganda though. So they honestly believe we live in a different time now and it is imperative for the President to be Cowboy "tough" *rolls eyes*. They believe Ron Paul isn't "tough" enough to be POTUS.