PDA

View Full Version : Question on homeschooling/education

nodeal
12-22-2011, 12:12 PM
I was making the point to a friend of mine that Dr. Paul is for diversity when it comes to education. That is to say, he would like to see different schools teach different things. If one would like to teach Creationism, let them. If the other would like to teach Evolution, let them. If a school wants to teach both, let them! Basically the parents should have control over what their child learns.

That being said, this friend started delving into the realm of extremes, saying "what if parents want to teach their kids 1+1=3?!"

He also said that creationism has been proves false, and that pseudo-science should not be taught in schools, regardless of what the parents want.

How would you respond?!

bluesc
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I was making the point to a friend of mine that Dr. Paul is for diversity when it comes to education. That is to say, he would like to see different schools teach different things. If one would like to teach Creationism, let them. If the other would like to teach Evolution, let them. If a school wants to teach both, let them! Basically the parents should have control over what their child learns.

That being said, this friend started delving into the realm of extremes, saying "what if parents want to teach their kids 1+1=3?!"

He also said that creationism has been proves false, and that pseudo-science should not be taught in schools, regardless of what the parents want.

How would you respond?!

"what if parents want to teach their kids 1+1=3?!"

Grasping at straws.

Then he can move his kid to another school. It really doesn't affect him.

Once again, it's just grasping at straws searching for a reason not to support Ron.

Anti Federalist
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM

How would you respond?!

Foolish straw man.

In almost every state, homeschooling requires a yearly standardized test to confirm basic skills are being learned.

Created4
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Proven false by whom? Who gets to decide what is "science" and what is "pseudo-science?"

Most people cannot even define "science." The etymology of the word has changed quite rapidly over time. Many people falsely think that "science" is only defined as "the scientific method" of observation. If that were true (which it is not), then nothing from the past could be "proven" scientifically because you cannot observe the past.

ghengis86
12-22-2011, 12:50 PM
What was before the big bang?