PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan: Ron Paul won’t go third party, it would damage son’s political future

GeorgiaAvenger
12-21-2011, 09:01 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/21/buchanan-ron-paul-wont-go-third-party-it-would-damage-sons-political-future/

GeorgiaAvenger
12-21-2011, 09:04 PM
sorry mods, I messed up the title again. Please remove the "December 21, 2011" part

[edit: done. --foo]

RickyJ
12-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Ron Paul is more concerned about this country more than he is concerned about his son being a life-long politician. His son's future in politics will not even be a part of his consideration to run third party or not. More than likely it will be decided by whether he thinks this country can survive four more years of the status quo, I don't think it can. But all this is a moot point since Ron is going to win the republican nomination. :D

GeorgiaAvenger
12-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Ron Paul is more concerned about this country more than he is concerned about his son being a life-long politician. His son's future in politics will not even be a part of his consideration to run third party or not. More than likely it will be decided by whether he thinks this country can survive four more years of the status quo, I don't think it can. But all this is a moot point since Ron is going to win the republican nomination. :D

Ron Paul running third party would not help this country at all. In fact, it might hurt it, so why would he ruin Rand's future?

vechorik
12-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Juan Williams said the same thing last night on "Freedom Watch"

Sorta to the effect of -- the GOP would blackmail Dr. Paul re: his son's future.

Echoes
12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
We might not have a country by 2016.

Ron will run 3rd party if he feels we are in a do or die scenario.

GeorgiaAvenger
12-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Why? He won't win.

The Midnight Ride
12-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Why? He won't win.

Libertarians and Strict Constitutionalist have chosen to work their way through the Republican Party. Do you have confidence that the eventual Republican nominee, should it not be Ron Paul, has the intellectual capacity to identify the underlying systematic problems our economy faces in order to correct it in time? I do not. Better our pain falls with a Democrat in office than a Republican for the simple reason that we are trying to make in roads. We all know Krugman and his crew of flunkies would harp endlessly on Austrian Economics as being the culprit. Ron may view this as necessary and I would support him wholeheartedly. Maybe he wants to establish a legitimate third party? Who knows his motivations. Anything that has Paul on the ballot in November 2012 is fine by me.

moderate libertarian
12-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Just premature hearsay on part of Buchanan. Let's focus on iowa, nh 2012 right now.

RP Supporter
12-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Count me among the ones who want Ron to run third party should he not get the nomination. His treatment at the hands of the establishment and the media(but I repeat myself) is proof that they'd prevent Rand from getting the nod anyway. Paul needs to run, get in the debates, and get his 20+ percent of the vote to prove to Republicans that they better start listening to us, or they'll never win a damn election again.

That said, all this unpleasantness can be avoided if Paul wins the GOP nod. The choice is the Republicans to make.

cindy25
12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Why? He won't win.

to insure an Obama win; a weak Obama without congress is far less dangerous than a Newt with a rubber stamp congress itching for war

Created4
12-22-2011, 12:49 AM
How do you know?? And if Ron Paul feels he will not win, I doubt he will run as a third party. But if he ends up a close second in the GOP primaries, and if polling data shows he could draw independents, his current base, and Democrats who are disenfranchised with Obama, by all means he should run. It is just too early to say he will run 3rd party, or to say if he does run, that he can't win. Time will tell...

cindy25
12-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Rand would have it far easier being an opponent of a President Obama than he would being an opponent of a big govt Rep president

Agorism
12-22-2011, 01:44 AM
...Why didn't Buchanan just run in the GOP primary in 2000. Those whole third party thing seems like a mistake

John F Kennedy III
12-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Ron Paul running third party would not help this country at all. In fact, it might hurt it, so why would he ruin Rand's future?

How could it hurt it?

parocks
12-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Juan Williams said the same thing last night on "Freedom Watch"

Sorta to the effect of -- the GOP would blackmail Dr. Paul re: his son's future.

It would hurt the Paul brand with Republican voters.

parocks
12-22-2011, 02:18 AM
How could it hurt it?

Well, if Ron Paul ran as a 3rd party, and Obama won, Republicans would blame Ron Paul. And Ron Paul would become extremely unpopular with Republicans. If Ron Paul becomes extremely unpopular with Republicans, that will make Rand Paul more unpopular with Republicans, make it more difficult to win whatever races he's in.

RickyJ
12-22-2011, 02:23 AM

Hurt this country? Are you serious?

There may not be country in 2016 if Ron Paul is not elected. Heck, this country is so messed up there might not even be a country in 2016 if Ron Paul is elected. He in no way would hurt this country by running third party, especially if he wins!

RickyJ
12-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Well, if Ron Paul ran as a 3rd party, and Obama won, Republicans would blame Ron Paul. And Ron Paul would become extremely unpopular with Republicans. If Ron Paul becomes extremely unpopular with Republicans, that will make Rand Paul more unpopular with Republicans, make it more difficult to win whatever races he's in.

This country is so messed up it might already be too late to save it. The time is now! If not now then you might as well get out of the USA, it will collapse.

HOLLYWOOD
12-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Where's Buchanan's piece on how the establishment criminals destroy any candidate that threatens their racketeering and corruption?

RickyJ
12-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Why? He won't win.
Some Ron Paul supporter you are. And just what data are you using to determine Ron Paul won't win third party? Right now it appears he comes in a strong third and he is just starting to gain momentum. By election day on 2012 he could easily win as a third party candidate. Americans have had enough of the status-quo, they are tired of seeing bankers get bailed out, of endless wars against nations that did nothing to us, and a dollar that continues to lose its value. America is about to crumble now, old notions that only one the two established parties can win are not relevant given the current circumstances of this nation.

Xenophage
12-22-2011, 05:04 AM
I think we are as incapable of determining whether or not Ron Paul runs third party as anyone is. I don't think he'd want to, but it is a strategic maneuver to keep the possibility open. To tell you the truth, I am surprised he is running again for the Republican nod. He's probably got a real strong desire at this point to retire and live the rest of his life in comfort. We know he's earned it.

Whatever he decides to do, though, I'll be a supporter.

Rothbardian Girl
12-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Whether you want Ron Paul to run as a third party candidate or not really comes down to, I think, if you think Obama would be better over a Republican like Romney or Gingrich winning the nomination. I know I would rather have another four years of Obama, with a divided Congress, than a warmonger acting with the consent of Congress. The more deadlock, the better (as long as it's not Ron who gets the nod). If there are any catastrophic moves like another war or more huge bailouts in either scenario, we're absolutely done for, but I would rather have a "struggle" in Congress.

Plus, the GOP absolutely needs to know that they cannot get away with nominating an Obama clone for the next four years. I don't care if the GOP fractures after this. The party has been thoroughly corrupted by all kinds of forces, from neoconservatism to anti-intellectualism or fake populism. I want to see it win insofar as it is Ron's vehicle to victory. If it takes Ron running third party to punish these bozos, I'm all for it. Of course, Ron is probably tired of all this, so I wouldn't blame him if he decides not to. But I don't see how Rand has any control over what his father is going to do.

Sorry, but I think Buchanan has it wrong here.

GeorgiaAvenger
12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
How could it hurt it?

Give the election to Obama.

Oh, and libertarianism would be destroyed.

GeorgiaAvenger
12-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Some Ron Paul supporter you are. And just what data are you using to determine Ron Paul won't win third party? Right now it appears he comes in a strong third and he is just starting to gain momentum. By election day on 2012 he could easily win as a third party candidate. Americans have had enough of the status-quo, they are tired of seeing bankers get bailed out, of endless wars against nations that did nothing to us, and a dollar that continues to lose its value. America is about to crumble now, old notions that only one the two established parties can win are not relevant given the current circumstances of this nation.

Use your brain and listen to Ron. He cannot win third party which is why he gave up on it. Forget it.

parocks
12-22-2011, 08:58 PM
This country is so messed up it might already be too late to save it. The time is now! If not now then you might as well get out of the USA, it will collapse.

I'm just typing normal, typical common sense conventional wisdom.

Liberty74
12-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Ron Paul will run as a third party against many wishes in here if the establishment derails his campaign and he hears the calling to run from the people. This is why on every question asked to him about a third party run, he never said absolutely not. Paul is not stupid. He is the lone shark and knows what he is going up against.

brandon
12-22-2011, 09:12 PM
wow great point by Buchanan. Not that I needed confirmation to know RP won't run 3rd party (he wont), but it's just a really good point.

V3n
12-22-2011, 11:02 PM
The threat of it keeps the other candidates respectful.

The truth of it, we'll vote for him 3rd party or not.

NO ONE BUT PAUL

kylejack
12-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Ron Paul running third party would not help this country at all. In fact, it might hurt it, so why would he ruin Rand's future? Wrong, and it won't hurt Rand.

kylejack
12-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Give the election to Obama.

Oh, and libertarianism would be destroyed.
Apparently you think Gingromney would be better than Obama. I absolutely do not. And I don't agree with you about libertarianism either, but who cares? It's had no political foothold for the last 50 years.

justinjj
12-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Personally, I don't give a shit about Rand Paul's political aspirations to be a Republican establishment insider. I care about Ron Paul getting elected now.

No one but RON Paul

Anti Federalist
12-23-2011, 12:35 AM
The threat of it keeps the other candidates respectful.

The truth of it, we'll vote for him 3rd party or not.

NO ONE BUT PAUL

Personally, I don't give a shit about Rand Paul's political aspirations to be a Republican establishment insider. I care about Ron Paul getting elected now.

No one but RON Paul

There we go.

That is the reality, No One But Paul

White Bear Lake
12-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Or Ron Paul could endorse Gary Johnson. I'd bet Johnson would pick up 15% with a Paul endorsement and probably allow for an Obama win. This way the Paul (c) brand wouldn't be as tarnished as if Ron would run third party himself.

An Obama win with a GOP congress and senate is probably the best we can ask for if Paul does not win the nomination.

And a Rand vs Cuomo becomes very probable for 2016.

Voluntary Man
12-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Ron should not give up the nuclear option, no matter what.

CUnknown
12-23-2011, 02:31 AM
I do think that, if Ron decides to run 3rd party, that he should pick a liberal running mate and directly go after Obama's base as part of his strategy.

But not because of Rand, I just think that gives him the best shot. But it would have the side effect of hopefully muting the criticism he would get from the GOP if it seems he would hurt Obama just as much if not more than the Republican.

Oh who am I kidding, the Republican establishment would never mute any criticism of Ron Paul! And Rand is going to get the same treatment sooner or later because he fights the same establishment, only a fool would change their game plan based on this sort of threat. They're just telling us what they're going to do anyway, and hoping to have us hamstring ourselves.

Either way, let's just win this thing so he doesn't have to make the decision.

RickyJ
12-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Anything less than Ron Paul winning the election for president of the USA in November of 2012 means the USA is finished if it isn't already. It means get out before you can't get out anymore.

This election is that crucial and Ron Paul knows it. He is not going to even consider his son's future in politics in making this decision. He must win, losing it is not an option.

TER
12-23-2011, 02:57 AM

If Ron Paul announced he was going third party, my first two questions will be where do I donate and what else can I do to help win.

anaconda
12-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Earth to Patrick J. Buchanan: A) Ron Paul owes nothing to his son. B) It will not hurt Rand overall. It will actually help Rand because he, too, can run as an independent in 2016. How many times will the GOP shoot themselves in the foot?

WTF? Is Buchanan turning on us also, now? For the sake of his cable news commentary career? Maybe Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchanan can do lunch soon.

anaconda
12-23-2011, 03:05 AM

No one but RON Paul

Got news for ya. Rand is on our side. Just watch how this plays out...

RickyJ
12-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Got news for ya. Rand is on our side. Just watch how this plays out...

I am sure he is, and is a much better than most republicans, but he is his own man and does not agree with his dad on everything, even some crucial issues.

I am a Ron Paul supporter, but not a Rand Paul supporter.

anaconda
12-23-2011, 03:18 AM
I am sure he is, and is a much better than most republicans, but he is his own man and does not agree with his dad on everything, even some crucial issues.

I am a Ron Paul supporter, but not a Rand Paul supporter.

Rand is on a mission. I am convinced of this.