PDA

View Full Version : Alabama NEEDS delegates!

beardedlinen
12-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Just parroting a post buried in another thread because of its importance:

Alabama has a January 13 deadline for people to file as delegates.

As of today, only 10 of 47 positions have been filled for Ron Paul.

Here's the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap58bfJRCLuudDJrM2ZLdklTaDFDLXlRN0NwY2EyY mc&hl=en_US#gid=0

People of Alabama, Paul needs you!

eduardo89
12-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Two people in the other thread said its been taken care of. Hope it's true!

J-Reg
12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Two people in the other thread said its been taken care of. Hope it's true! Hope so, but we should double check!

beardedlinen
12-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Doesn't say that in the google docs spreadsheet. Maybe it hasn't been updated?

tsai3904
12-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Doesn't say that in the google docs spreadsheet. Maybe it hasn't been updated?

No the spreadsheet is current. I think they were referring to the Virginia signatures being taken care of. The Alabama situation still requires 37 people to file as delegates.

Here's more information for the Alabama supporters who are interested in applying:

http://algop.org/qualifying-information-for-delegates
http://www.algop.org/delegate-FAQs

Here's a Ron Paul supporter that you can contact for more information:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?311148-Alabama-How-to-become-a-delegate&p=3518153&viewfull=1#post3518153

beardedlinen
12-21-2011, 08:14 PM
No the spreadsheet is current. I think they were referring to the Virginia signatures being taken care of. The Alabama situation still requires 37 people to file as delegates.

Ok, well that's exactly what I'm talking about. I've alerted whoever owns the Paul Alabama FB page...at least I tried to in a comment since non-owners aren't allowed to post status updates.

We know of any other Alabama supporters on the forums? Must be a decent amount.

eduardo89
12-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Ah dammit! You're right, the Virginia signatures for ballot access has been done, but we're still missing delegates for Alabama. I already posted this on the Ron Paul 2012 Alamaba (http://www.facebook.com/RP2012AL) Facebook page. Hopefully people see it there.

We need to get this done ASAP, can't wait till the last minute.

Btw: is Alamaba a caucus or primary state? Winner takes all or proportional?

Martin Silenus
12-21-2011, 08:27 PM
I will be filing my paperwork tomorrow.

ross11988
12-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Ah dammit! You're right, the Virginia signatures for ballot access has been done

How do you know Virgina is done?

eduardo89
12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
How do you know Virgina is done?

People said they've contacted the campaign. Look up the other thread.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?340836-URGENT-Ballot-Access-in-Virginia-READ-THIS&highlight=Virginia

beardedlinen
12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Btw: is Alamaba a caucus or primary state? Winner takes all or proportional?

According to Blue Republican it's an open primary. The state's official election page:

http://www.sos.state.al.us/PR/PR.aspx?ID=5574

I'm assuming it's a proportional primary, not sure.

beardedlinen
12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
I will be filing my paperwork tomorrow.

+rep to you good sir!

eduardo89
12-21-2011, 09:14 PM
According to Blue Republican it's an open primary. The state's official election page:

http://www.sos.state.al.us/PR/PR.aspx?ID=5574

I'm assuming it's a proportional primary, not sure.

Here's all the info, sorry for the long post

Tuesday 13 March 2012: 47 of 50 of Alabama's delegates to the Republican National Convention are allocated to presidential contenders in today's Alabama Presidential Primary.

21 district delegates are allocated to presidential contenders, "winner-take-most", based on the results of the primary in each congressional district.

Each of the 7 congressional districts is assigned 3 National Convention delegates.
If a candidate receives a majority of the vote (more than 50%) or if only one candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, that candidate is allocated all 3 of the district's delegates.
If no candidate receives a majority of the vote and more than 1 candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, the candidate with the most votes is allocated 2 delegates and the candidate with the next highest number of votes is allocated 1 delegate.
If no candidate receives 20% of the vote, the 3 district delegates are proportionally allocated to the presidential contenders. See the rounding rules below.
26 at-large delegates are allocated to presidential contenders, "winner-take-most", based on the statewide results of the primary.
If a candidate receives a majority of the vote (more than 50%) or if only one candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, that candidate is allocated all of the 26 at-large delegates.
If no candidate receives a majority of the vote and more than 1 candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, the 26 at-large delegates are to be proportionally allocated to the presidential contenders to those candidates receiving 20% or more the vote. See the rounding rules below.
If no candidate receives 20% of the vote, the 26 at-large delegates are proportionally allocated to the presidential contenders. See the rounding rules below.
Proportional allocation rounding: Round the delegate allocations to the nearest whole number. If the rounding allocates too few delegates, the candidate with the most votes receives the remaining delegate(s). If the rounding allocates too many delegates, the candidate receiving the fewest votes looses as many delegates as necessary.
In addition, 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Alabama's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unpledged delegates by virtue of their position.

Delegate election.

Delegates must file a Declaration of Candidacy on or before 13 January 2012. Delegate candidates may run in either the CD where he/she votes or for the statewide (at-large) positions, but not both. Delegates bind themselves to Presidential contenders on the Declaration.

There are 47 National Convention delegate "place numbers" on the primary ballot-- 3 for each of the 7 Congressional districts and 26 statewide. Delegates run for each "place number". A delegate's name and "place number" appears on the ballot below the Presidential candidate's name unless the delegate is unopposed for that "place number". If there is more than one candidate for a place number, the delegate receiving the most votes for that "place number" is elected. Should candidate withdraw, delegates for that candidate may either withdraw or become uncommitted. Find the delegates who have filed here.

Voters cast ballots for no more than one Presidential candidate and that candidates delegates. The voter cannot vote for one Presidential candidate and the delegates for another.

National Convention District Alternate delegates are elected by the Congressional District Committee. Statewide alternates are elected by the Republican Executive Committee.

No person named as a delegate or alternate delegate pledged to a person as the Republican nominee for President of the United States shall cast a contrary vote at such convention unless first released by (a) public statement or in writing by such presidential candidate or (b) two-thirds vote of all members of the Alabama Delegation to the Republican National Convention similarly pledged; and the vote of any person who attempts to violate the provisions hereof shall not be allowed, but such vote may instead be cast for the person to whom such delegate or alternate delegate is pledged either by the Chairman of the Alabama Delegation to the Republican National Convention or by the Secretary of such Convention.

Intoxiklown
12-21-2011, 09:15 PM
I can go myself. I can also get my sister to register as a well. I been working on her mind.....lol

tsai3904
12-21-2011, 09:17 PM
For those that are considering to apply as a delegate, make sure you do NOT apply for the same position as someone who has already filed.

Check here for the latest positions:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap58bfJRCLuudDJrM2ZLdklTaDFDLXlRN0NwY2EyY mc&hl=en_US#gid=0

For instance, Congressional District 1, Places 1 and 3 are already taken. If you live in CD 1, apply for Place 2. Do NOT apply for Places 1 or 3.

beardedlinen
12-22-2011, 07:38 PM
bump

beardedlinen
12-22-2011, 07:38 PM
We're up to 13 delegates in Alabama now.

voteliberty
12-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm from Huntsville, AL.. I'm working on the paperwork as I type this.

tsai3904
12-23-2011, 05:04 PM
We still need people to apply as delegates in Alabama. For $150, you'll have a chance to be a delegate and vote for Ron Paul at the Republican National Convention. As a supporter, I can't think of a more unique opportunity.

jsem
12-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I can't believe we're short on delegates, ground support is supposed to be our thing.

Badger for Paul
12-23-2011, 05:19 PM
How can the official campaign not have this taken care of for every single state? This should be an official campaign responsibility, not a grassroots responsibility.

beardedlinen
12-23-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm from Huntsville, AL.. I'm working on the paperwork as I type this.

+rep

Still at 13. Anyone know of any other good sites/fb pages to post this on?

Rothbardian Girl
12-23-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm in AL for college. I will be sharing this with everyone I know. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

beardedlinen
12-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm in AL for college. I will be sharing this with everyone I know. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Woot. Thanks for the help. Are there a lot of Paul supporters where you go to school?

Rothbardian Girl
12-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Woot. Thanks for the help. Are there a lot of Paul supporters were you go to school?
There is a sizable group of people, but our meetup stuff is just getting off the ground, so it's been kind of hard to get organized. We have a lot of interested people though, so we're working on it.

BAMAJD
12-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Im 17 so I dont think im old enough, but I will try to get some people I know to file paperwork. My history teacher probably will, possibly my dad.

Eryxis
12-23-2011, 09:05 PM
im already a delegate. looks like if there is no one else from our district takes it, then my wife will be cd6 place 3

Martin Silenus
12-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Actually, I didn't get the paperwork turned in the other day, but I live just a couple of miles from the office, so I'll definitely turn it in before the deadline. I'll be signing up for at-large place no. 5 unless someone else is already claiming it.

sailingaway
12-23-2011, 10:19 PM
bump

beardedlinen
12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Do we know about any other states with this problem?

Freedom of Speech
12-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Bump

InTradePro
12-24-2011, 09:12 AM
bump

beardedlinen
12-24-2011, 09:38 PM
bump

BamaAla
12-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I promise I will do this first thing next week. I've been meaning to for a while, but I always forget.

Majopa
12-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Im 17 so I dont think im old enough, but I will try to get some people I know to file paperwork. My history teacher probably will, possibly my dad.

I think you only have to be eighteen by the election date. Can anyone confirm this?

beardedlinen
12-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I promise I will do this first thing next week. I've been meaning to for a while, but I always forget.

+rep :D

Miguel
12-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Tom Woods still lives in Alabama right? I wonder if its against the law for Tom Woods to work on this being that he is associated with REVpac.

Bama Boy
12-24-2011, 10:41 PM
I seriously doubt this is a REAL problem. I'm not involved in the state campaign this time, but in '08 we had no trouble finding delegates for Alabama.

Matth19
12-25-2011, 03:17 AM
My wife and I are from Shelby county Al. Im a little embarrassed to say that I don't now how this all works with the delegates. Can someone explain exactly what I would need to do to help?

BamaAla
12-25-2011, 09:32 AM
My wife and I are from Shelby county Al. Im a little embarrassed to say that I don't now how this all works with the delegates. Can someone explain exactly what I would need to do to help?

Are you on Facebook? I can hook you up with some Shelby county people.

beardedlinen
12-25-2011, 06:20 PM
bump for activism

beardedlinen
12-27-2011, 11:36 AM
bump

beardedlinen
12-27-2011, 11:38 AM
14 out of 47 now.

jmdrake
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Word of advice from someone who just went through this crap in Tennessee.

1) Expect the BOE to throw out 1/2 your signatures. Gather twice what you need.
2) Set up tables at gun shows. Great place to get signatures.
3) Get your own copy of voter rolls by district so that you can double check signatures as they are collected.
4) Get people on mailing lists to get off their duffs and come to signing events. Really there are enough Ron Paul supporters in each state that we shouldn't have to worry with "collecting" squat if people would just come out and sign themselves.

tsai3904
12-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Word of advice from someone who just went through this crap in Tennessee.

1) Expect the BOE to throw out 1/2 your signatures. Gather twice what you need.
2) Set up tables at gun shows. Great place to get signatures.
3) Get your own copy of voter rolls by district so that you can double check signatures as they are collected.
4) Get people on mailing lists to get off their duffs and come to signing events. Really there are enough Ron Paul supporters in each state that we shouldn't have to worry with "collecting" squat if people would just come out and sign themselves.

In Alabama, all you need to do is fill out a form and pay $150. There is no need to gather signatures to become a delegate in Alabama.

Great advice for states that require signatures though.

tsai3904
12-28-2011, 11:14 AM
14 out of 47 now.

Still at 14.

Remember DO NOT apply for a position that is already taken. If you do, we will be wasting $150.

tsai3904
12-29-2011, 03:12 PM
bump

J-Reg
12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP!!! Come on!

SlowSki
12-29-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm going to try and sign up once I get back in town on Monday. I just posted info in the UA and Tuscaloosa for Ron Paul group on facebook. Some of those kids may be in CD 7.

Aratus
12-30-2011, 01:38 PM
way to go Alabama!

tsai3904
12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Up to 23.

Still don't have anyone in CD4. If you are in CD4, please apply for a CD4 position instead of an At-Large position.

beardedlinen
12-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Up to 23.

Still don't have anyone in CD4. If you are in CD4, please apply for a CD4 position instead of an At-Large position.

Better. Haven't seen my own thread in awhile since RPF's traffic has been increasing.

Any other ways to get this out there?

mmadness
12-31-2011, 06:07 AM
bump

Merridith
12-31-2011, 12:19 PM
bump

eduardo89
12-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Up to 23.

Somehow this needs to be sent out to all the members of the Facebook page http://Facebook.com/rp2012al (700 members). Does anyone know who the admin to all these rp2012 pages is? There seems to be one for each state and they all have the same theme, so I assume it's the same person running them.

And the Birmingham Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birmingham-for-Ron-Paul-2012/
And the Jefferson County page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jefferson-County-for-Ron-Paul-2012

BamaAla
12-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Up to 23.

All 3 places in 4 will be filled Tuesday. I along with another man and his wife will be filling out the forms and turning in the money then.

eduardo89
12-31-2011, 03:00 PM
All 3 places in 4 will be filled Tuesday. I along with another man and his wife will be filling out the forms and turning in the money then.

+rep

BamaAla
01-01-2012, 04:09 AM
+rep

Thanks, but I spoke too soon. I talked to that fellow earlier and he and his wife are filling out for at large spots. I will be the (so far) only CD4. Are there any other forum members in the Cullman or Decatur areas? I know a few Paul supporters, but none of them are going to be able to go to the convention even if I put them up.

ETA: if you know anyone, point them here. If they can get off work/school to go the the convention, and maybe can't afford it if we get to go, I will take care of their room etc.

beardedlinen
01-01-2012, 06:49 PM
bump

eduardo89
01-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks, but I spoke too soon. I talked to that fellow earlier and he and his wife are filling out for at large spots. I will be the (so far) only CD4. Are there any other forum members in the Cullman or Decatur areas? I know a few Paul supporters, but none of them are going to be able to go to the convention even if I put them up.

ETA: if you know anyone, point them here. If they can get off work/school to go the the convention, and maybe can't afford it if we get to go, I will take care of their room etc.

Have they filed yet? Tell them we have enough at large delegates, we need to fill out CD4!!!

sailingaway
01-01-2012, 07:04 PM
tweeting

Martin Silenus
01-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Still haven't turned in my paperwork, since I'm not sure when the party HQ has been open through the holidays. I'm guessing that they're open tomorrow.

I was going to run for At Large slot 5, but for some reason there are TWO people running against each other. I'm registered to vote in CD4, but I feel like I would have a better chance of going to the convention if I ran At Large. So... CD4 or At Large?

beardedlinen
01-01-2012, 11:24 PM
tweeting

Thanks sailing.

eduardo89
01-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Still haven't turned in my paperwork, since I'm not sure when the party HQ has been open through the holidays. I'm guessing that they're open tomorrow.

I was going to run for At Large slot 5, but for some reason there are TWO people running against each other. I'm registered to vote in CD4, but I feel like I would have a better chance of going to the convention if I ran At Large. So... CD4 or At Large?

We don't have anyone running in CD4. At least that's what was said earlier.

thehighwaymanq
01-01-2012, 11:48 PM
BUMP for 'Bama

jmdrake
01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
In Alabama, all you need to do is fill out a form and pay $150. There is no need to gather signatures to become a delegate in Alabama.

Great advice for states that require signatures though.

Really? Are there any Bama supporters who would do it but are short on cash? Can we set up a chipin if that's the case?

tsai3904
01-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Up to 33 delegate positions filled.

Still 0 out of 3 delegates in CD4.

eduardo89
01-05-2012, 07:57 PM

Run CD4!!!

samforpaul
01-05-2012, 08:23 PM

If you'll be 18 on the date of the General Election I think you're fine.
Good luck!

ljrdxyh
01-06-2012, 12:02 AM
All,

Alabama will have a full slate of delegates. If you are interested as running as an alternate contact Alabama@ronpaul2012.com

mmadness
01-10-2012, 04:48 AM
BUMP - filing deadline looks like Jan. 13! Check out this video though - because it looks like some of you Bama delegates will need to go STEALTH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE3UhJxZQqY

mmadness
01-10-2012, 07:16 AM
bump

mmadness
01-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Bump

mmadness
01-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Momentum AND deadline bump!

Eryxis
01-10-2012, 10:23 PM
All,

Alabama will have a full slate of delegates. If you are interested as running as an alternate contact Alabama@ronpaul2012.com

Confirmed tonight at a Paul meetup. All CD slots are filled and most (if not all) of the at large slots are filled.

mmadness
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Confirmed tonight at a Paul meetup. All CD slots are filled and most (if not all) of the at large slots are filled.

Good work - alternates too?

EndTheFed
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
How do you become an Alabama Delegate?

I'm in North Alabama

mmadness
01-10-2012, 11:00 PM
How do you become an Alabama Delegate?

I'm in North Alabama

I am not in Alabama, so hopefully someone from Alabama can jump in here and add to this...

Check the delegates thread in my sig below - first post has a lot of good links. The ones you'll probably want are the Ron Paul Delegates training page, which should have an Alabama section. Check out the Green Papers link for Alabama. Join the Ron Paul 2012 Delegates Facebook page, search for an Alabama Ron Paul Facebook group, even better if there is a delegates group for Alabama. Use your existing Ron Paul meetups in Alabama (ronpaul.meetup.com and ronpaulcountry.com) - you should be able to learn who the Alabama RP delegates are either through the local Facebook or meetups. If there is no meetup close to you, create a meetup group yourself to get all the local RP supporters in your area out of the woodwork.

The YouTube in post #71 will have a lot of Alabama-specific information about delegates.

Most importantly you will need to file by January 13 to be a delegate!

mmadness
01-13-2012, 08:46 AM
BUMP! DEADLINE IS TODAY AND ACCORDING TO facebook.com/RonPaulDelegates2012 there are STILL delegate spots to fill!

What are you waiting for?! DO IT! DO IT NAOOOOO!!!

mmadness
01-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Bump! Any updates on this?

beardedlinen
01-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Bump! Any updates on this?

All the spots have been filled. Alternate spots are still available though.

EDIT: The deadline for registration has passed, so no more alternates.

mmadness
01-14-2012, 10:56 PM
All the spots have been filled. Alternate spots are still available though.

Thanks - do you know if there is any possibility for these alternate slots to be filled from now on or are they locked out?

tsai3904
01-17-2012, 03:49 PM
We have 33 extra people competing for the same delegate positions. That's $4,950 down the drain.

Is it possible for those people to withdraw and get a refund?