PDA

View Full Version : A major failure of the Liberty Movement...

Canderson
12-21-2011, 03:35 PM
So a few days after the Tea Party money bomb I decided to leave the Grassroots Central subforum and went down to the 2012 Candidates section. I started reading about Karen Kwiatkowski and her run for Congress. I stumbled across the fact that she had a Bill of Rights Moneybomb on the Dec. 15 that I heard about to late.

It made me realize that we have a major flaw in this movement. We tend to fall apart when it comes to congressional and other smaller elections. How can we improve this to ensure we see more successes such as Rand's campaign and Justin Amash's. WE NEED MORE LIBERTY ADVOCATES IN GOVERNMENT, and overly concentrating on the Pauls and ignoring people like Kwiatkowski and Forsythe is a MAJOR FLAW in this movement.

JoshLowry
12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I concur. I think there is such an intense focus on Ron and his chances at winning, that all our hours tend to go to him first.

I'm guilty as charged and have pushed aside even our own Glen Bradley at times.

bluesc
12-21-2011, 03:43 PM
A couple of weeks out from voting in Iowa, all I have on my mind is Ron winning.

tsai3904
12-21-2011, 03:44 PM
The truth is that funds are extremely limited right now and that means races need to be prioritized.

What are her chances against an 18 year incumbent in a primary? How much money would she need to win the primary?

Canderson
12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
The truth is that funds are extremely limited right now and that means races need to be prioritized.

What are her chances against an 18 year incumbent in a primary? How much money would she need to win the primary?

If she raised as much as RP does in 1 day shed probably win. Plus we need to make sure we replace Ron's congressional seat with a liberty advocate

mosquitobite
12-21-2011, 03:47 PM
If each of us gave $5 to each liberty candidate, what would the Congress that Paul works with look like?

mwkaufman
12-21-2011, 03:48 PM
You're absolutely right, which is why it's extremely disappointing when viable liberty candidates like Gary Johnson don't pursue winnable seats like the New Mexico Senate seat. But certainly, if Ron Paul does well in the coming weeks, the movement will be energized, and there will be more money and support available for liberty candidates to challenge in the 2012 elections. And if Paul did win the presidency, there would be huge new support and organization for liberty candidates in the 2014 and 2016 elections.

ShaneEnochs
12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm going to argue that the presidency is the single-most important election right now. Ron Paul's election to the white house will do more for the cause of Liberty than getting in a couple of people into Congress. That's not to say that Congress isn't important - it is. But the Tea Party members that don't support Ron Paul is working on that.

specsaregood
12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
If she raised as much as RP does in 1 day shed probably win. Plus we need to make sure we replace Ron's congressional seat with a liberty advocate

Well thats not gonna happen, RP didn't get to his fundraising prowess on his first try. So go back and review what tsai3904 asked.

Fact is, our candidates should really be starting at the state level or local level. Like Bradley, like Amash. Rand was a special case, and was lucky to be at the right place, right time and lucky he had a slow-footed ex-democrat opponent. Even then, Rands fundraising was nowhere near his fathers. I remember getting 250k in a moneybomb for Rand was considered a big success.

gls
12-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Kwiatkowski is challenging a 10-term incumbent in the primary, which really hurts her chances. And AFAIK Forsythe briefly flirted with a run but decided against it.

amonasro
12-21-2011, 03:57 PM
You also have to understand that this is the most exciting time the movement has ever seen. Back in 2007 we had fundraising but it came too late (right before Iowa) and a bumbling mom and pop campaign with amateur hour ads. I would also argue the GOP field was stronger with Huckabee drawing away evangelicals and Romney, McCain and the Ghoul to contend with.

This time is completely different and the Establishment knows it. We are focused on Ron and rightly so.

Brian4Liberty
12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
We should all research the candidates in our areas, and publicize the liberty candidates, especially those that have a chance of winning. We can publicize and volunteer as well as donate to campaigns.

HOLLYWOOD
12-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Scrolling Ticker like at bloomberg, CNBC, FBN, ESPN... to senf the alerts out. Mods can select and set the priorities, since this is a 24/7 site with 1000's of people on it at any given moment.

Brian4Liberty
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Do you have a preference for US Senate candidates in your State? Speak up now, don't wait until the day before the election!

Check out these threads for your State:

New Mexico:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?340817-New-Mexico-US-Senate-Race-Who-is-the-liberty-candidate

North Dakota:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?340797-North-Dakota-US-Senate-Race-Who-is-the-GOP-liberty-candidate

Florida:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?340784-Florida-US-Senate-Race-Who-is-the-GOP-liberty-candidate

Arizona:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?340780-Arizona-US-Senate-Race-Who-is-the-GOP-liberty-candidate

realtonygoodwin
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Can you make one for the Texas Senate race? Ted Cruz and Elizabeth Ames Jones both look pretty good, but both endorsed Perry.

newbitech
12-21-2011, 04:26 PM
I concur. I think there is such an intense focus on Ron and his chances at winning, that all our hours tend to go to him first.

I agree to an extent, but at the same time, I am getting some intense focused training on how to actually progress beyond 2012. In the coming months and years, I think we will all take that enthusiasm and bring it to bear locally. I think focusing on RP is important to learn how to do things right.

Anyways, I know in time the movement will blossom and bear fruit and those seeds will be spread far and wide.

pipewerKz
12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Not only that, but we are also lacking on our response to bills that move through the House and Senate. Ron warned us about the NDAA back in May.

sailingaway
12-21-2011, 04:32 PM
So a few days after the Tea Party money bomb I decided to leave the Grassroots Central subforum and went down to the 2012 Candidates section. I started reading about Karen Kwiatkowski and her run for Congress. I stumbled across the fact that she had a Bill of Rights Moneybomb on the Dec. 15 that I heard about to late.

It made me realize that we have a major flaw in this movement. We tend to fall apart when it comes to congressional and other smaller elections. How can we improve this to ensure we see more successes such as Rand's campaign and Justin Amash's. WE NEED MORE LIBERTY ADVOCATES IN GOVERNMENT, and overly concentrating on the Pauls and ignoring people like Kwiatkowski and Forsythe is a MAJOR FLAW in this movement.

Well, I didn't know about the money bomb. Something big like that we should put a thread in a main forum on. People could try pming a mod when that happens. It may not be the cure, but it is an additional safeguard.

Still, if people are able to wait until after January 13 or whenever New Hampshire is, their money bombs might be more lucrative.

deadfish
12-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Less talk more action! (someone match me?)

Thank you! Your donation is complete (Receipt #xxxx)
Tweet about your donation to Karen and help us spread the word!

Total Amount: $22.00
Summary of charges
Item Price Qty SubTotal
Donation $22.00 1 $22.00
Total Amount: $22.00

http://karenkforcongress.com/
facebook.com/pages/Karen-Kwiatkowski-for-Congress/208060942547640

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUI_MWpDKiY

sailingaway
12-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Not only that, but we are also lacking on our response to bills that move through the House and Senate. Ron warned us about the NDAA back in May.

some of us did some threads on it, but C4L had nothing until after WE started pushing it (Rand did, but you had to go to his web page.)

Paulitics 2011
12-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Congress 2014

airborne373
12-21-2011, 04:45 PM
We are still babies in political terms ... give us some time. Besides Congressman Paul can only carry so many on his coattails. But President Paul ....

Carole
12-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Now that it has been brought our attention, I see no reason why anyone who wishes to contribute to her campaign cannot still do so.

freejack
12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Saw her speech when Ron was at Webster Hall. She seemed a bit nervous and had to read her speech directly from a few sheets of paper but she came off as being very genuine and nice. Will donate to her campaign.

Brian4Liberty
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Can you make one for the Texas Senate race? Ted Cruz and Elizabeth Ames Jones both look pretty good, but both endorsed Perry.

We could, the reason I didn't is that Ted Cruz is already getting endorsements (including from Rand Paul).

Brian4Liberty
12-21-2011, 05:30 PM
How about Virginia? Anyone live there?

Virginia:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?340841-Virginia-US-Senate-Race-Who-is-the-liberty-candidate

TheDrakeMan
12-21-2011, 05:32 PM

I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think we ignored Forsythe. We got him into office (State Senate). Unfortunately we couldn't get him into the Congress, but he was still a rookie who was inexperienced at running. There's always next time.

Maximus
12-21-2011, 05:36 PM
We did a much better job in 2010... of course we weren't running a Presidential campaign then. We should have a better plan for 2012 to get Ron the people he needs in Congress.

Ize19
12-22-2011, 02:22 AM
In California, Michael Stollaire is running for Senate against Diane Feinstein. Do we know anything about him? I took a look at his blog, and it looks like he speaks out about the size of government, our foreign policy, and how corrupt the congress is. If he is a real pro-liberty candidate, I'd definitely like to support him.

J_White
12-22-2011, 03:22 AM
fine, once we get Ron the nomination and then the Presidency, we can focus on other candidates !

John F Kennedy III
12-22-2011, 03:47 AM
Why do people keep trying to associate gary johnson with the liberty movement?

enoch150
12-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Why do people keep trying to associate gary johnson with the liberty movement?

These things aren't cut and dry. There's a continuum between being a pure liberty advocate and a pure statist thug. Where the line is drawn that separates who is enough on the liberty side of things that they're worth supporting is an individual decision.

specsaregood
12-22-2011, 08:23 AM
In California, Michael Stollaire is running for Senate against Diane Feinstein. Do we know anything about him? I took a look at his blog, and it looks like he speaks out about the size of government, our foreign policy, and how corrupt the congress is. If he is a real pro-liberty candidate, I'd definitely like to support him.

And feinsten won her last 2 elections by 20+ points. sure support him if you feel like it but the money could be used on winnable races.

tremendoustie
12-22-2011, 08:26 AM

After this election we need to come together with a coordinated, focused effort on getting really principled pro-liberty candidates elected to local, state, and national (where they exist), office.

This movement is bigger than just Ron Paul -- but right now, he's understandably got to be our #1 priority.

idiom
12-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Lets blow-out IA and NH. Then every seat in congress will be on the chopping block.

mosquitobite
12-22-2011, 08:40 AM
http://goooh.com/
(Get Out of OUR House!)

http://www.meetup.com/GOOOH-USA/

http://www.facebook.com/GOOOH

mosquitobite
12-22-2011, 08:41 AM
see, I'm of the opinion that it will be easier for Dr Paul to get more done if we help him by getting a few more good men/women in Congress.

Nate K
12-22-2011, 08:48 AM
There's no national publicity of congressional races. These smaller races get the attention of comparatively much less people. The funds by supporters are ultimately much better used on Ron Paul, especially considering the chance he has this time around.

Furthermore, Ron's race makes it possible to centralize our focus and coordinate activity more smoothly.

Brian4Liberty
12-23-2011, 09:24 PM

And feinsten won her last 2 elections by 20+ points. sure support him if you feel like it but the money could be used on winnable races.

I agree that financial support would be better placed elsewhere when it comes to races where the opponent (Democrat) has such a big advantage. Also, we want to make sure not to go full bore behind a candidate before filing deadlines, as candidates come and go right up to those deadlines. Now if you had a viable liberty candidate (Dem) to run against Feinstein in the Primary, then you might generate some real interest...

Ize19
12-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I guess I was just excited that it looked like there was a real liberty candidate in California, and wanted to know if anyone knew whether he was legit or not. But you're right, I didn't think it through, and it doesn't look like it matters too much at the moment, so thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking, and supporting Dr. Paul in the meantime :D

Icymudpuppy
12-24-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?339248-Running-for-office...-Maybe

I got very little response on this thread, and it was pretty revealing that I wouldn't get a lick of support for a congressional run from RPFs.

Canderson
12-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Alright, I found a candidate who is running for Congress in Indiana named Kristi Risk. She seems pretty good and narrowly lost the primary last election. I'm going to 'adopt' her after New Hampshire or Nevada and start pushing her fundraising up. It would be awesome if we could get another Amash in Congress. Does anyone know anything about this Risk lady???

Keith and stuff
12-24-2011, 11:18 AM

There are more elected Ron Paul Republican legislators in New Hampshire than all of the other states combined. If you want to help those Ron Paul Republicans get reelected (many of them will face tough reelection campaigns, especially because of redistricting as their districts will change) and new Ron Paul Republicans get elected, the best thing you can do is donate money to the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance candidate PAC, http://www.nhliberty.org/donate

Please message me if you have any trouble donating to the NHLA PAC.

Brian4Liberty
01-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Bump for candidates!

Christopher David
01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I agree with the OP, with caveats.

I am running for Congress. Yet I believe the best use of my time is now to throw my full weight behind helping Ron gain whatever momentum is possible to be gained from these early contests.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

I will proudly ride Ron's coattails. I am not strong enough to do what he is doing. I am strong enough to give him a big push, and keep pace behind him.

There may come a time when I will have to break formation and promote myself more than I promote Ron Paul, but today is not that day.

tremendoustie
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I think the solution may be a single site with a collection of pro-liberty candidates, which also includes their responses to a standard questionnaire on liberty issues, current polls (if any), links to their site, etc. You'd be able to donate to many candidates at once, or pick and choose the ones you really like. That way, we can consolidate our efforts by promoting a single site, have a reasonable way to compare the relative importance of various candidates, and not become too fractured.

Christopher David
01-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I guess I was just excited that it looked like there was a real liberty candidate in California, and wanted to know if anyone knew whether he was legit or not. But you're right, I didn't think it through, and it doesn't look like it matters too much at the moment, so thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking, and supporting Dr. Paul in the meantime :D

Rick Williams of Break the Matrix is running for U.S. Senate against Feinstein.
I am running for House against Waxman.
Jenny Worman of RevoluTimes is running for House against Adam Schiff.

California may well be the tip of the spear for liberty candidates in 2012.

But for January and February, I think the movement needs to focus hardcore on elevating Ron.

Like I posted above, a rising tide lifts all ships.

truthspeaker
01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Which reminds me--of the Tea Party candidates--which is the best one running for TX Senate?

Perry and his Lt. Gov are running for Washington. David Dewhurst is running for Senate. While I like him as a Lt. Gov, I'm not sure if I want him as my Senator.

White Bear Lake
01-03-2012, 06:29 PM
If you are interested in supporting a liberty candidate, look up Michael Baumgartner who's running for Senate against Maria Cantwell in Washington State. He's almost guaranteed the GOP nomination as he's a state senator and considered a rising star in the GOP there. It's a tough election as Washington is not very favorable to Republicans, especially during Presidential elections, but it's still one of our best chances to get another liberty candidate in the Senate this go around. He has a great resume and would be a perfect ally for Rand in DC. Definitely look him up.

In TX, I like Cruz. He's not perfect but he's much, much better than Dewhurst. Rand has endorsed him. I'd say he's similar to Mike Lee in Utah so I'd take that. Plus, if he wins the nomination then he will win the general in TX.

truthspeaker
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks, I'll look into Cruz.