PDA

View Full Version : Eight US troops charged over death of Private Chen, family alleges ethnic slurs and abuse

moderate libertarian
12-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Pretty sad story, it was previously reported as "self inflicted" death:

21 December 2011 Last updated at 10:07 ET

Eight US troops charged over death of Private Danny Chen

Eight US soldiers have been charged over the death of an infantryman in Afghanistan, international security forces have said.

Pte Danny Chen, 19, from New York, was found in a guard tower after apparently shooting himself in October.
Charges include dereliction of duty, assault and involuntary manslaughter; five are accused of negligent homicide.

The Chen family have alleged their son was subjected to physical abuse and ethnic slurs from superiors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16290224

oyarde
12-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Not sure I understand where the evidence is for all these charges ... ??

flightlesskiwi
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
my question is wth does this statement have to do with this man's death?:

The US is drawing down troops in Afghanistan ahead of a planned 2014 withdrawal of combat troops.

i hate the media. political tools.

moderate libertarian
12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
There is not much reported on evidence that led to these charges. There is some additional detail on background in other reports:

The Chen family have alleged their son was subjected to physical abuse and ethnic slurs from superiors.

The parents also told the New York Times soon after their son's death that investigators had informed them they were not certain the shot was self-inflicted.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-RC362_1221ny_DV_20111221104749.jpg

In October, family spokesman Frank Gee told the Journal that Army investigators told Mr. Chen's parents that their only child had been subjected to taunting and violence at the hands of the soldiers with whom he served.

"Before he died he was harassed, and he was dragged out of the bed and actually beaten," Mr. Gee said in October. "The Army volunteered that information to the family."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204552304577112363340924278.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

libertarian4321
12-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure I understand where the evidence is for all these charges ... ??

I suspect that those charged with "negligent homicide" were those that were directly involved in beating the soldier who died.

The others (officer/NCO) are being charged because they probably knew about it (or should have known about it) and did nothing to stop it. It is the duty of a commissioned or non-commissioned officer to take care of the soldiers in his charge. It appears, based on what little I know of the story, that they failed to do so.

squarepusher
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082912/Disturbing-details-emerge-Asian-American-soldiers-final-hours-forced-comrades-crawl-100-metres-gravel-pelted-rocks.html

Asian-American soldier was forced by comrades to crawl 100m on gravel while being pelted with rocks hours before he killed himself

Private Danny Chen, 19, found dead on duty in October
Allegedly bullied by other soldiers who joked about him
New doubts on whether he actually committed suicide
Chen's family say he was mocked and pelted with rocks

By Ellen Connolly

Last updated at 11:22 AM on 6th January 2012

Comments (0)

The parents of a New York City Army private who committed suicide in Afghanistan have been told distressing new details of the racial bullying and mistreatment their son endured at the hands of his comrades.

A spokeswoman for Chen’s parents said investigators told them that on the day of his death, he was forced to crawl 100 metres on gravel with his equipment on as fellow GIs threw rocks at him.

Speaking through an interpreter, his mother said her 19-year-old son was called 'dragon lady' and derogatory phrases.

Soldiers made him give orders in Chinese while they mocked him. He was also forced to do multiple push-ups and sprints.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/ocjnl/asianamerican_soldier_was_forced_by_comrades_to/

RiseAgainst
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
'Made to crawl 100m on gravel while being pelted with rocks...'

Sounds just like the infantry I remember, we all got it the same, white black red or yellow.

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Picking on the guy is bad, but to be charged with murder because he killed himself is WAY out of line. 8 people charged with the same murder, and they didn't actually kill him? Though I guess we don't know the details so we can't judge, but still--smells all liberaly, like the anti-bullying laws now.

moderate libertarian
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
'Made to crawl 100m on gravel while being pelted with rocks...'

Sounds just like the infantry I remember, we all got it the same, white black red or yellow.

But probably not ethnic name calling like these if her family's claims are valid, things supposed to have improved a lot from past decades.

Speaking through an interpreter, his mother said her 19-year-old son was called 'dragon lady' and derogatory phrases.

Still, murder charge if he did suicide seems very strange.

RiseAgainst
01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
But probably not ethnic name calling like these if her family's claims are valid, things supposed to have improved a lot from past decades.

Everyone gets name called, everyone. I wasn't rail thin so mine was fatass or chunky, etc. If there's not much else to pick on it will always fall back to easy targets like race, religion, ethnicity, etc. It's never going to change, guys, guns, testosterone...it just is what it is.

WIRP
01-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Everyone gets name called, everyone. I wasn't rail thin so mine was fatass or chunky, etc. If there's not much else to pick on it will always fall back to easy targets like race, religion, ethnicity, etc. It's never going to change, guys, guns, testosterone...it just is what it is.
Racism in our military. Never going to change. You heard it hear first.