PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich Gingrich Reportedly Tells Gay Iowan Voter He’s Better Off Supporting Obama

vechorik
12-21-2011, 09:02 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gingrich-reportedly-tells-gay-iowan-voter-hes-better-off-supporting-obama/#comment-2497405

(original article has reference links)

Republican presidential contender Newt Gingrich has had a rough couple of weeks. He’s come under fire for having an alleged progressive record and his own half-sister, a lesbian, has said she plans to support President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign — even if it means going against her own blood. Now, Gingrich is making headlines after he reportedly told an Iowan man that he’d be better off supporting Obama.

Gingrich, who was campaigning in Oskaloosa, Iowa, allegedly made this assertion to Scott Arnold, an associate professor of writing at William Penn University. This response reportedly came after Arnold asked Gingrich how he planned to engage with gay Americans, should he assume the presidency.

Scott Arnold (Photo Credit: Des Moines Register)

In the past, Gingrich has made his opposition to homosexuality known. “I believe that marriage is between a man and woman. It has been for all of recorded history and I think this is a temporary aberration that will dissipate,” he said back in September. “I think that it is just fundamentally goes against everything we know.”

The New York Daily News has more about Gingrich’s gay marriage views:

Earlier this month, he told the conservative Christian Family Leader organization that, if elected, he would “oppose any judicial, bureaucratic or legislative effort to define marriage in any manner other than as between one man and one woman.”

“When you ask somebody a question and you expect them to support all Americans and have everyone’s general interest…It’s a little bit frustrating and disheartening when you’re told to support the other side,” Arnold explains. “That he doesn’t’ need your support.”

According to the Des Moines Register, Arnold, who is a gay Democrat, says that he went to the event with an open mind. After seeing Gingrich’s past comments about gays, he was curious to know how, as president, the GOP contender would represent him. Arnold said the candidate‘s past statements don’t “inspire hope at all.”

Considering Gingrich‘s own sister’s pledge to support his rival, should he secure the nomination, as well as his own words on same-sex unions, it‘s safe to say he won’t be getting America’s “gay vote.”

(H/T: National Journal)

Matthew5
12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
He won't catch much flak from Repubs unfortunately. But what an arrogant asshat.

Spikender
12-21-2011, 09:21 AM
The only person who deep down supports Newt and everything he stands for has horns and the legs of a goat. And no, I'm not talking about Dick Morris.

gmc1988
12-21-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't see how anyone can seriously believe in Newt or anything he says.

Joe3113
12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Gingrich belittling someone for sexual behavior is like Gingrich belittling someone for lobbying. Talk about serial hypocrisy.

vechorik
12-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Gingrich belittling someone for sexual behavior is like Gingrich belittling someone for lobbying. Talk about serial hypocrisy.

LOL I'm stealing that sentence to post at the Blaze! LOL

Spikender
12-21-2011, 09:41 AM
LOL I'm stealing that sentence to post at the Blaze! LOL

That reminds me, I've got to go back there... I took a little mini-vacation from posting there, although I've still been reading. I need to get back on top of things, I suppose

Off-topic: Holy cow, Vech, you've almost got 1000 posts and we joined at the same time!

vechorik
12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
That reminds me, I've got to go back there... I took a little mini-vacation from posting there, although I've still been reading. I need to get back on top of things, I suppose

Off-topic: Holy cow, Vech, you've almost got 1000 posts and we joined at the same time!

I pledged to represent Dr. Paul at the Blaze about 8 months ago. It's a challenge sometimes, but I also learn a lot (researching how to defend).

As far as posts? (guess I'm a big-mouth) but most of them are for "phone from home"

I'll hit 6,000 calls tonight, and as I listen to the phone ring, I browse this forum -- another reason I'm here so much (kills the boredom of "call from home")
Hope to see you at The Blaze

Spikender
12-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I pledged to represent Dr. Paul at the Blaze about 8 months ago. It's a challenge sometimes, but I also learn a lot (researching how to defend).

As far as posts? (guess I'm a big-mouth) but most of them are for "phone from home"

I'll hit 6,000 calls tonight, and as I listen to the phone ring, I browse this forum -- another reason I'm here so much (kills the boredom of "call from home")
Hope to see you at The Blaze

Don't worry, you will! After reading some of the recent comments on the Blaze, I think you guys are doing quite well. There are some, however, such as YepImaConservative, QpWillie, and Republicorp who simply are there to troll. I think we're going to have to make a list of people who are either going to be hard to convince or are simply just trolling. I'll make sure to get back into the fray today.

vechorik
12-21-2011, 10:27 AM
YepImaConservative, QpWillie, = actual Republicans, looking for president after Hermain Cain dropped out, bash Dr. Paul constantly. Been blogging with them for ages

Republicorp = strange character, I believe Democratic Obama supporter, yet they have stuck at the Blaze for at least 6 months.

The Blaze doesn't kick people out -- so yes, tons of trolls -- just makes the conversation more lively (and "the regulars" know how to ignore them)

Spikender
12-21-2011, 10:38 AM
YepImaConservative, QpWillie, = actual Republicans, looking for president after Hermain Cain dropped out, bash Dr. Paul constantly. Been blogging with them for ages

Republicorp = strange character, I believe Democratic Obama supporter, yet they have stuck at the Blaze for at least 6 months.

The Blaze doesn't kick people out -- so yes, tons of trolls -- just makes the conversation more lively (and "the regulars" know how to ignore them)

I just wish Yep and Willie would actually listen for once. After reading through their posts, it just seems like they ignore everything people respond to them with and just keep on saying the same things. I wish they would open up.

And yeah, I don't get Republicorp either... have they stated anything about who they support or what they believe in? I'm not too good about keeping tabs on these guys, to tell the truth. Has Repub actually came out and said that they support Obama? I'm just curious so that I know how to approach certain posters.

PeacePlan
12-21-2011, 10:45 AM
The only person who deep down supports Newt and everything he stands for has horns and the legs of a goat. And no, I'm talking about Dick Morris.

I knew from the beginning you were talking about Hannity.

vechorik
12-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Has Repub actually came out and said that they support Obama?
Not that I remember -- no candidate -- just bashing Republicans in general mostly -- and speaking up for Muslims/gays/minorities.
Suspected to sometimes go under the name of RoseEllen.
-------
QPWillie said he would vote for Dr. Paul, if he wins the nomination -- just doesn't want him to get it. Hates "Paulbots" worse than Dr. Paul. Says we're a crude bunch that thinks Dr. Paul is God and they call everyone neo-cons if someone disagrees with them (which is sorta true LOL)

Spikender
12-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I knew from the beginning you were talking about Hannity.

And I just noticed I left out the "not" next to talking...

LibertyEagle
12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Personally, I'm kinda tired of hearing people defining themselves as part of a special interest group and asking a politician how he is going to support their group. No one deserves special rights. They have rights as an individual and that is it.

Spikender
12-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Has Repub actually came out and said that they support Obama?
Not that I remember -- no candidate -- just bashing Republicans in general mostly -- and speaking up for Muslims/gays/minorities.
Suspected to sometimes go under the name of RoseEllen.
-------
QPWillie said he would vote for Dr. Paul, if he wins the nomination -- just doesn't want him to get it. Hates "Paulbots" worse than Dr. Paul. Says we're a crude bunch that thinks Dr. Paul is God and they call everyone neo-cons if someone disagrees with them (which is sorta true LOL)

Unfortunately, the neocon thing is sort of true, but that's a bit of a double standard. I'm sure I've seen Willie himself call people liberals and Paulbots if he didn't agree with them. In the end, everyone is a bit of a hypocrite in one way or another, and nothing shows it more than the fact that people of all political philosophies call everyone else names. I just think Willie is grasping at straws with that one.

I am glad, however, that Willie is at least willing to vote for him if he does get the nomination. Sometimes I get the feeling that some Republicans would actually vote for Obama over Paul, and I'm glad that Willie isn't one of them.

gmc1988
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
The only person who deep down supports Newt and everything he stands for has horns and the legs of a goat. And no, I'm not talking about Dick Morris.

Krauthammer? Kristol? Limbaugh? I want to know who! :)