PDA

View Full Version : Paul says he's counting on Iowa victory to push him past Romney in NH

Agorism
12-21-2011, 07:58 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1390091

EXETER, N.H. — A suddenly surging Ron Paul boasted yesterday that he’s counting on a victory in Iowa to vault him past GOP front-runners Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich and into the winner’s circle in this state’s first-in-the-nation presidential primary.

“I’m on the verge of saying it’s in the bag,” the Texas congressman told the Herald, referring to the Granite State’s Jan. 10 primary. “Iowa has something big to do with it. If we win or get a close second we can build our credibility. There’s this thing that’s very real in politics called momentum.”

Paul has come out on top in two recent polls in Iowa even as the front-running Gingrich has faded amid a flurry of attack ads. The libertarian politician, who has a solid base of supporters but has remained an outsider with the party establishment, also insisted he’s more than just a spoiler in the tumultuous Republican race.

“If you run to win and you win, who are you spoiling?” Paul said during a stop at the Early Bird Cafe in Plaistow.

“When you run to win and you win, that’s supposed to be exciting and not a negative term,” he added, brushing off the idea that an Iowa caucus win might hurt the overall chances of a candidate perceived to be more electable.

Yet Paul, an isolationist who has ruffled GOP feathers by saying that American troops shouldn’t intervene in foreign wars, admitted even he is a little surprised at his most recent rise in polls. A Real Clear Politics average places him third in New Hampshire. He moved to the top spot in Iowa with 23 percent in a Public Policy Poll this weekend and continues to climb.

In that survey, former Bay State Gov. Romney came in second with 20 percent, followed by Gingrich, a former U.S. House speaker, with 14 percent.

The topsy-turvy GOP primary has thrust several candidates into the front-runner spot since last summer, starting with U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn), then Texas Gov. Rick Perry, former Godfather’s pizza CEO Herman Cain, and most recently Gingrich.

But don’t call Paul just the latest Republican flavor of the month.

“I’m the one least likely to be that,” he said. “Our growth has been very, very steady, and our supporters are the most determined and most firm votes.

“I guess we’ll have proof of that in a few weeks.”

Paul said that the timing of his rise, which comes two weeks before the Iowa caucus, may be the key to his success.

“That’s the reason we have a better chance of maintaining this,” Paul said. “There’s no one person that has dominated the field, and that’s a reflection that voters aren’t hearing a true answer from other candidates.”

Paul also dismissed scuttlebutt that he’d run as a third-party candidate, saying his goal is to win the Republican nomination.

I personally think Romney's lead is too large there and we need some negative ads, but we'll see I guess. I'd also note that no GOP nominee has ever won both of them. NH tends to be reactionary to whatever Iowa does. Example: If Dole wins Iowa, they jump behind Buchanan to try to stop him.

Spikender
12-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Yet Paul, an isolationist who has ruffled GOP feathers by saying that American troops shouldn’t intervene in foreign wars, admitted even he is a little surprised at his most recent rise in polls. A Real Clear Politics average places him third in New Hampshire. He moved to the top spot in Iowa with 23 percent in a Public Policy Poll this weekend and continues to climb.

Paul, an isolationist who has ruffled GOP feathers by saying that American troops shouldn’t intervene in foreign wars, admitted even he is a little surprised at his most recent rise in polls. A Real Clear Politics average

an isolationist who has ruffled GOP feathers by saying that American troops shouldn’t intervene in foreign wars,

isolationist

isolationist

A fair article ruined by a word that displays extreme bias. I suppose that non-interventionist and isolationist do sound alike... right.... RIGHT?

gls
12-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Wow, I've never seen Paul so confident. This almost seems like overconfidence, unless the campaign has internal numbers or something to back it up. The way it seems to me NH is far from "in the bag", even with a win in Iowa.

“I’m on the verge of saying it’s in the bag,” the Texas congressman told the Herald, referring to the Granite State’s Jan. 10 primary.

jsingh1022
12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Me being from Massachusetts here's what I'll say. I feel that people from New Hampshire choose Romney because of the name recognition of him being the Mass governor. I think NH respects MA in some ways because they root for our sports teams... however, Massachusetts is Taxachusetts and New Hampshire has no sales tax and is the "Live Free or Die" state.

I believe with enough phone banking, super brochures, or DVD bombing we can inform the New Hampshire people that Ron Paul is the true "Live Free or Die" candidate while Romney is another big government candidate. A win from Iowa will definitely help but the polls show there's a lot of ground to make up.

SamuraisWisdom
12-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Sounds like slight over-confidence to me. But all that means is that the pressure's on us and the campaign to deliver a victory.

olehounddog
12-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Wow, I've never seen Paul so confident. This almost seems like overconfidence, unless the campaign has internal numbers or something to back it up. The way it seems to me NH is far from "in the bag", even with a win in Iowa.
Yea, I was surprised by that too.

muh_roads
12-21-2011, 08:37 AM
If that is the campaign strategy then we are not going to win NH. We may get a tiny bump but the media is already saying our Iowa win doesn't matter.

Yes we need to attack Romney the same way we attacked Gingrich. Gingrich was way ahead and it worked. Voters carry a lot of amnesia. People need to see a Romney commercial where he flip flops first hand.

Why the campaign isn't treating NH with the same strategy as they did in Iowa is so infuriating to me right now.

gls
12-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Much better than the alternative. (Paul dismissing his own chances like he usually does).

wgadget
12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Mitt Romney is the reason the Occupy Wall Streeters hate Wall Street and the reason Tea Party hates Big Government all rolled into one.

He is also a privileged elite Establishment type, the kind who goes to live in a French palace instead of fighting for his country in Viet Nam.

Even the neocons hate him.

RON PAUL OR BUST.

Darthbrooklyn
12-21-2011, 08:48 AM
hahha.. When I walked into work this morning, one of my coworkers says, "Hey , your boy Ron Paul is saying he has NH in the bag" before I read the article i replied to him, "Theres no way he said that" hahahahah

rp08orbust
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM

I wonder if he accidentally left out a "not" (I'm not on the verge of saying it's in the bag, but... [stuff about why he has reason to be optimistic]).

rp08orbust
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM

I wonder if he accidentally left out a "not" (I'm not on the verge of saying it's in the bag, but... [stuff about why he has reason to be optimistic]).

wgadget
12-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Either he did leave out a NOT, or he knows how the true polling reads. One thing is for sure, and that is that Ron Paul tells the truth.

jacmicwag
12-21-2011, 08:57 AM
If that is the campaign strategy then we are not going to win NH. We may get a tiny bump but the media is already saying our Iowa win doesn't matter.

Yes we need to attack Romney the same way we attacked Gingrich. Gingrich was way ahead and it worked. Voters carry a lot of amnesia. People need to see a Romney commercial where he flip flops first hand.

Why the campaign isn't treating NH with the same strategy as they did in Iowa is so infuriating to me right now.

The negative ads worked well against Newt because there was so much obvious stuff to attack that people didn't know about or had forgotten. Not sure we have the same luxury with Mitt other than flip/flop which has been played for years against him. Long and short - need new dirt like Mitt took under the table payments while killing jobs at Bain or something like that.

speciallyblend
12-21-2011, 09:01 AM

Paul, an isolationist who has ruffled GOP feathers by saying that American troops shouldn’t intervene in foreign wars, admitted even he is a little surprised at his most recent rise in polls. A Real Clear Politics average

an isolationist who has ruffled GOP feathers by saying that American troops shouldn’t intervene in foreign wars,

isolationist

isolationist

A fair article ruined by a word that displays extreme bias. I suppose that non-interventionist and isolationist do sound alike... right.... RIGHT?

maybe rpf members should email contact the writer and explain the difference or use the comment section to correct the writer nicely? Ask for a correction!

matt0611
12-21-2011, 09:02 AM
I think if we won both IA and NH then then we would probably be the clear winner no?

We are second in NH, we need to get close enough that an IA win would put us over the top.
We should be running negative ads against Romney and treating NH like IA.

FreedomProsperityPeace
12-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Why the campaign isn't treating NH with the same strategy as they did in Iowa is so infuriating to me right now.They are. Phone-from-home, ads, signs, lots of campaign stops. We're moving up in NH. We have to see how things in Iowa shake out too. No sense in trying to cross a bridge before you come to it.

da32130
12-21-2011, 09:09 AM

If NH voters don't like going with the flow, and vote against the Iowa momentum, this could encourage momentum for Paul. All the pundits will be saying he can't and NH may just decide he can.

da32130
12-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I think if we won both IA and NH then then we would probably be the clear winner no?

We are second in NH, we need to get close enough that an IA win would put us over the top.
We should be running negative ads against Romney and treating NH like IA.

Just based on intrade.com, winning Iowa and NH would make us the frontrunner and give us maybe a 60% chance to win the nomination.

Winning SC would bump that up to maybe 70-80%. We could still lose Florida and win.

Okaloosa
12-21-2011, 09:20 AM
As far as getting Romney's numbers down how about giving information on Romney to the campaigns/supporters of the other candidates and create a dog fight against Romney. I went to facebook pages for other candidates in NH and posted some information on Northern Pass. How about we let the Ron Paul campaign focus on getting their own numbers up. Perry and his PACs have money to throw around so why not encourage them to go after the guy at the top. Also, Gingrich has been getting attacked by PACs supporting Romney so I bet his supporters would be willing to take it to Romney.

pacelli
12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Need to be careful about NH. After the last campaign, we didn't claim, "Live Free or Diebold" for nothing.