PDA

View Full Version : Americans Elect: 1 Employee Is Worth 4 Students Or 100 Union Members

Agorism
12-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Americans Elect: 1 Employee Is Worth 4 Students Or 100 Union Members

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2011/12/20/americans-elect-1-employee-is-worth-4-students-or-100-union-members

According to the Americans Elect Draft Rules by which it proposes to run the nation’s first privatized online presidential nomination in 2012, anybody who’s constitutionally qualified to be President can ask Americans Elect for permission to run. Anybody can ask, but only some contenders will be allowed to run. The Candidate Certification Committee will get to decide whether the rest of us will get to vote for some contenders. Other contenders will get automatically certified.

Who gets automatically certified as a presidential candidate? Consult Rule 2.2.1.1 for the answer:

2.2.1.1 Automatic Qualification. The Candidate Certification Committee shall automatically certify as qualified any natural person who is eligible to serve as President and who has served in any of the following positions without removal from office or current criminal indictment or conviction: Vice President, United States Senator, Member of Congress, Presidential Cabinet Member, Head of a federal agency, Governor, Mayor of any of the largest 100 cities in the United States, Chairman or Chief Executive Officer or President of any corporation or non-profit corporation or philanthropic organization with 1,000 or more employees, President of a national labor union with 100,000 or more members, military officer who has attained flag rank, Ambassador, and President of an American-based university with more than 4,000 students.

Let’s look at the numbers. Any old bean who bundles enough money together for a presidential campaign can be appointed as Ambassador to some place or another. In that case, the quantity of money talks.

And then there is the question of leadership. If you are a corporate executive leading 1,000 employees, you’re automatically in. If you’re a university president, you have to lead 4,000 students. And if you head up a labor union, you have to lead 100,000 union members. In the universe of political privilege that Americans Elect has constructed, a single employee is literally worth four students, and one employee is worth a hundred union members.

Ask Americans Elect why. I’ve asked them this morning. I’m not holding my breath waiting for an answer.

Sam I am
12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
The reason it's set up that way is because It's a larger investment to Hire an employee than it is to teach a student, and It's a larger investment to teach a student than it is to an accept a union member.

It isn't an issue about the worth of the person. It's about the degree of executive management experience.

Employees cost a lot more, where students and union members pay money to be a part of a university/union.

A University has a huge commitment to each individual student, where a union doesn't have as much of a commitment to each of it's members(and naturally, union dues are less than tuition)

oyarde
12-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Think of all the douche bags that would qualify , mayors of LA , Chicago etc etc

Zippyjuan
12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Union members ARE employees. Students may be employees (I worked my way through school) as well. All citizens should count the same.

Sam I am
12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Union members ARE employees. Students may be employees (I worked my way through school) as well. All citizens should count the same.

You're missing the point

Union members are not employees of the union
Students are clients of universities. It's the professors and other staff that are employees.

oyarde
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Union members ARE employees. Students may be employees (I worked my way through school) as well. All citizens should count the same. I have no idea how a student could not be an employee somewhere for some time ..... I have never belonged to a union , but I suppose it would be possible to join a guild that you were not actively employed in ? .

Zippyjuan
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Which category a person fits into is not really the point- the point is that some people should count differently than others. That is wrong.

The system described gives greatest power to corporations away from students or union members.

libertarian4321
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Did it occur to any of you that those numbers were set only to get someone who was in charge of a reasonably large organization of a particular type?

They only want Presidents of medium to large universities (4,000 students is a reasonable cut off for a medium university).

They only want CEO's of medium to large companies (1,000 employees is a pretty good number there, too).

Same with Unions.

You can quibble about what the cut off number should be, but it seems rather obvious that they weren't intending to say 1 worker=4 students=100 Union Members or something similarly absurd.

They simply don't want small-timers with no record of significant accomplishment. Set numbers is a pretty good way to do it, otherwise ANYONE could enter as a "CEO"- I can set up a corporation in a day (or a non-profit or whatever).

Zippyjuan
12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Why should the cuttoff for a corporation only be 1000 and the cutoff for a union be 100 times that at 100,000? There most certainly is a much lower (and more easily achieved) standard for corporations over other groups. That gives them a much greater voice. Unions represent workers and corporations may represent workers (their employees but more often their shareholders).

I guess students and unions are seen as enemies of the state- they are the ones most likely to rise up against it (look at protests around the world and see who is there).

Sam I am
12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Why should the cuttoff for a corporation only be 1000 and the cutoff for a union be 100 times that at 100,000? There most certainly is a much lower (and more easily achieved) standard for corporations over other groups. That gives them a much greater voice. Unions represent workers and corporations may represent workers (their employees but more often their shareholders).

I guess students and unions are seen as enemies of the state- they are the ones most likely to rise up against it (look at protests around the world and see who is there).

It's a whole lot easier to manage a union member than it is to manage an employee. You don't have to train your union members or pay them or do a portion of their taxes. From an administrative standpoint, an employee is a much bigger deal than a member of your union.

Also, Unions are huge. (http://www.workinglife.org/wiki/index.php?page=Union+Membership%3A+Largest+Unions+ %282003%29)

Zippyjuan
12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Corporations are huger (yeah, nice word eh?). Your list (from 2003- with the economic collapse of 2008 some of those may now be below the 100k threashold) indicates about 35. According to this source http://curtismorley.com/2011/02/02/how-many-companies-in-the-u-s-have-over-1000-employees/ there are over 12,000 companies which would qualify.

Based on all of the data I found I would estimate that there are approximately 12,500 companies with more than 1000 employees in the U.S. currently. We will know the exact number next year when the U.S. Census Bureau does there next study.

That leaves unions outnumbered 343 to one which is even worse than the 100 to one on the threshold basis.

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Americans Elect = Rothchilds Elect