PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Adv. Need Comments, Help

llepard
11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
This is not certain yet, but I am in the process of negotiating with USA Today to run a full page black and white advertisement supporting RP on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in Section 1 of the news Section.

I cannot guarantee I will do it/or get the slot but odds are good.

So, the question is what to say.

I want to start with the Founders For Ron Paul advertisement that ran in New Hampshire, Linda who developed this advertisement is working with me.

Here it is:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=31223&page=2

The question to the forum is what if anything should we change?

Personally I like most of it the way it is. However, I wonder if we need the line about being the only candidate who can stop Hillary. I also wonder if there should not be a line in there like:

Ron Paul: Physician, Healer, Gentleman.

Thoughts.

Primbs
11-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Is there going to be an ad before New Hamsphire when more people across the country will be paying attention?

I would pay for the ads and plan backwards from the primary day for New Hampshire or Michigan and other important days.

tonyr1988
11-08-2007, 12:17 PM
For a lot of Republicans, if he's the only person who can stop Hillary, they'll immediately support him. :)

I think it's a little repetitive to have "YouTube: Stop Dreaming or go to www.ronpaulstopdreaming.com" Would it be possible to just have the URL, since they're the same?

I don't know if I like the "Show this ad to 5 people." It's good to promote it, but I just don't know how effective it will be to get people actually doing it. It sounds like the reader, who probably has hardly heard of Paul, has an immediate obligation to start spreading the word.

Some older voters will be turned off by the "Revolution."

But I'm being insanely nitpicky, and basing this off of the few USA Today readers that I know and what their reactions would be. I could be completely wrong, so take it with a grain of salt. :P

constituent
11-08-2007, 12:17 PM
maybe "physician, statesman, president!"

and instead of "the only candidate that can beat hillary,"

"the candidate to beat."

LibertyEagle
11-08-2007, 12:28 PM
maybe "physician, statesman, president!"

and instead of "the only candidate that can beat hillary,"

"the candidate to beat."

I like adding statesman in the first phrase.

However, in the 2nd, I think I still like mentioning that he is the only candidate who can beat Hillary. Didn't a marketing firm recommend this to us? I also like referring to him as the Thomas Jefferson of our day. Would it help our cause to attribute that statement to Judge Napolitano? If yes, do we need to get his approval to do so?

llepard
11-08-2007, 12:45 PM
One concern. Is the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the best day to run this? I ask, because this paper is widely read by business travelers and is the paper that most hotels hand out to frequent travelers. I would think that the number of business travelers would be substantially decreased on that day, as most would be on holiday.

Perhaps you're going after all the people who will be in the airports on this day.

True. But it is also a time when a lot of people travel and pick up the newspaper in the airport. It might also get passed around over the holiday weekend. People have more time to read and reflect. They are in a holiday mood, eg: feeling relieved to not be working.

runningdiz
11-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Cool idea! Looks like a nice flyer... A few quick suggestions:

I dont know if this has been caught yet but you is repeated twice on the third we warned you. (We warned you ... you of)

Also if you think about it, the we warned you stuff does not make sence. Just seems weird since they are dead and gone. Also as the reader I feel like I am being attacked or insulted by the we warned YOU. The flyer would be less attacking and sound better if it just said We warned of blah blah blah instead of We Warned You of blah blah blah.

Just my two cents. It will be great advertising either way though! Good Luck!

LibertyEagle
11-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Oh, before I forget.

There is a typo on Linda's flyer. It says Founding Founders at the top, instead of Founding FATHERS.

Pete
11-08-2007, 12:59 PM
'Ron Paul Revolution' is perfect, IMO, and I am a 55 year old lifelong Republican.

I suggest looking at the 'When in the course of human events' video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AFfdB5OzlyQ

It's a bit timelier.

Bryan
11-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I think it's a little repetitive to have "YouTube: Stop Dreaming or go to www.ronpaulstopdreaming.com" Would it be possible to just have the URL, since they're the same?
Agreed- I registered RonPaulStopDreaming.com so it would be easy to remember. :) I will not change it from doing anything other than showing that video.

I don't know if I like the "Show this ad to 5 people." It's good to promote it, but I just don't know how effective it will be to get people actually doing it. It sounds like the reader, who probably has hardly heard of Paul, has an immediate obligation to start spreading the word.
I agree with this, but thinking more on it, this could be spun a different way. Rather than saying "Show this ad..." - have the founders ask "What do you friends and neighbors say of these problems? Do you talk about them?" or the like- the idea is to make the reader curious and inspire them to engage in conversation with others. For an ad that is as powerful as this one, I think it can add value.

AceNZ
11-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't care for the faded writing of what looks like the constitution as the main background. It looks too cluttered.

I think the font size should be much larger. There should be fewer points. Most people won't read a whole ad. Better to try to communicate 1 or 2 main points.

I think we can do better than the pictures of the founding fathers. Pictures with a higher emotional impact would be better.

Be sure to mention Dec 16 and the associated website.

llepard
11-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Just made the commitment with USA Today.

I think this thing is a go on the Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

By being flexible on the day we save $.

Linda Lagana is the author and graphics person.

Here are the changes we have so far:

(1) Take out the background script, it is confusing.

(2) Take out the line, "as a service to America they have come out of retirement.."

(3) Chance the opening, insert, "But we have strayed away from their wise advice." Instead of "But we didn't listen to them."

(4) Take out the line that he only Repub who can beat hillary

(5) Take out the double mention of the video. Just reference the web site.

(6) Change, send it to everyone you know. now: send it to other voters.

(7)Insert a Tag Line: Join The People's Peaceful Revolution.

(8) Insert a Tag Line: Dr. Ron Paul: Gentleman, Physician, Statesman -- PRESIDENT

Question:

Some object to the the bullet points saying We the founders ....warned you

Suggested we take out the "you" so that it sounds less accusatory.

We plan to have a draft of the advertisment next Mon. Nov 12. I will post it when we have it.

This will be the national edition and will reach 2-3 million viewers.

Any and all suggestions will be considered. Self organizing we are much more powerful than the MSM!!!!

LWL

LibertyEagle
11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
This is wonderful.

Thank you so much!!!! :)