PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget to Write Planks for Iowa Caucus!

JoelYrick
12-20-2011, 09:29 PM
This is a part of participating in the caucuses that we often forget about. Anyone attending the caucus can write up a plank (keep it short) that will then be voted on as a part of the county convention- and maybe beyond. I didn't know about this until during the caucus last time. They just ask for planks to be submitted, and you turn in your piece of paper. Don't assume that the obvious liberty planks will be submitted. Also, don't worry about submitting too many. Not many people participate in this and they have people in every county whose job it is to sort these planks out to limit the amount voted on. Delegates will then be able to vote on including the individual planks in the platform later. Might as well have something interesting to talk about at the tedious conventions! You can write planks on nearly every political topic imaginable. Have fun!

I don't know how planks are done for other states, but this is how Iowa does it.

PauliticsPolitics
12-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes. Important.

ZanZibar
12-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't waste any time on it actually. Most elected officials hardly follow their party platform anyway. Not only that when it gets to a higher level convention it often has to go through a committee filled with hacks that will kill it before it can be voted on. These things are unfortunately most just a distraction.

JoelYrick
12-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Assuming that we may win the Iowa caucuses, this is one part of taking over the Iowa Republican party. At the very least, it should provide some interesting discussion and debate during the conventions for all our many delegates. The party establishment won't forget to put in their lame planks, and stopping them will send a message. I believe the state of Maine had some interesting press from this type thing recently.