PDA

View Full Version : "Ron Paul is a nutcase"

stephens
11-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Hello everyone, I am new here and just thought I would share this opinion piece from Baylor University in Texas with you all.

http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=48028

-Stephen

Chester Copperpot
11-08-2007, 11:20 AM
The article stresses that Ron Paul (libertarians) are UNreasonable people... In this election that is definitely a true statement.. But its a good thing.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903)
"Maxims for Revolutionists

Cissey
11-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone, I am new here and just thought I would share this opinion piece from Baylor University in Texas with you all.

http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=48028

-Stephen

Sounds to me like Brad Briggs is the one needing immediate psychiatric help ! What an idiot !

Mac Guy
11-08-2007, 11:33 AM
"Lagging"?

ladyliberty
11-08-2007, 11:33 AM
:rolleyes: Well considering the current Kevin Drum fruitcake bomb, maybe someone will want to bomb this guy with peanut brittle?

im_a_pepper
11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
It is sad that someone from a University setting flexes his ignorance in the economy and government monetary revenue functions. Nearly 40 cents on every dollar of your tax money goes to pay for future and past military expenses (http://www.nationalpriorities.org/), this of course rises and the exact numbers for 2007-2008 Iraq war have not been adjusted into the figures so this will of course rise exponentially with the request of funding increments.
Common sense says: Adjust our military unnecessary spending, then adjust our necessary income. We can float without an income tax. It would be tough without reform and spending adjustments, but THAT is exactly what all these naysayers overlook. The whole point is we need to do this, we need to adjust our means of economic blundering. The fall of the dollar, collapse of the loaning industries, foreign market insurgencies, and many more imbalances. All of these are beginning to take its toll and the bubble has been flexed to its capacity. To me the article does not make a valid "nutcase" argument. It shows Fear. Fear of change. Fear of an upheaval in our system. Fear of balance and the fear of acknowledging our own ignorance and folly to not see what is apparent in our world today. We must change. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to change now by choice than to have to change in face of a tragedy. We all know what happens when we change quickly in face of a tragedy.

mragreeable
11-08-2007, 12:00 PM
It's an odd article. On the most part, he gets his facts straight. He offers a fairly correct rundown of what Paul would do in office.

It's his commentary that's so off base. Maybe that's what happens when you let a journalism major start offering political commentary.

I think where he made his lack of understanding of the candidate so clear was right at the end - "People like him have no concept of community."

This is far from the truth. If any candidate believes in community - in both the power and responsibility of communities - it is Dr. Paul. Mr. Briggs should remember, firstly, that Dr. Paul is running for a national office. Does he seriously think that the Federal Government is in any way a substitute for strong local communities?

Maybe the big thing that Mr. Briggs is missing is that Paul is not a libertarian, nor does he claim to be - he's a constitutionalist. That makes him more-or-less compatible with the Libertarian Party on the national level, but not at the local level. I would agree with the author that the "invisible hand" is fairly lacking in a lot of ways, but the Founders never intended it to be the exclusive role of the Federal Government to address most of those deficiencies.