PDA

View Full Version : Olberman & POLITICO' Ken Vogel Assess Developments In The Race To Win Iowa, Ron Paul Leads

HOLLYWOOD
12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Use Link to read the entire dialog between Kieth Olbermann and POLITICO's Ken Vogel (Chief Political Reporter)

If anyone has the 5 minute video on Ron Paul, please YouTube and post.

http://current.com/shows/countdown/blog/gop-roundup-ken-vogel-assesses-developments-in-the-race-to-win-iowa-ron-pauls-plausibility-as-a-contender

OLBERMANN: All right, Ron Paul. Something happened, and something is happening, relative to the Congressman from Texas. Do we yet know what it is? Is it trite to say that there’s some new veneer of plausibility?

VOGEL: I think that he has actually been entirely consistent. In some ways, his supporters would say nothing has happened. He’s been there all along and he’s been preaching the same message all along.
The fact that he is doing very well in Iowa, and has a legitimate chance of winning, shows that there is a place for these types of views in the Republican party. Because, while we were talking about Gingrich sort of tailoring his views to the audience that he’s trying to win support from, Ron Paul has definitively not done that and there are many things that he has said that have really alienated social conservatives and the types of evangelical voters who are so important in the Iowa caucuses.

So, the fact that he is in the running and leading in some of the polls in Iowa is remarkable, and I think a testament to his consistency — and maybe to the sort of unsteadiness of the field — but also to the fact that, you know, this guy has been preaching this fiscal conservatism since before it was cool — since before the tea party was in existence — and there is a place for that in the Republican party.

GOP Roundup: Ken Vogel assesses developments in the race to win Iowa, Ron Paul’s plausibility as a contender Countdown Staff
December 19, 2011

http://i2.crtcdn1.net/shows/countdown/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/KOShow20111219-GOP-roundup-Ron-Paul-620-300x168.jpg (http://i2.crtcdn1.net/shows/countdown/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/KOShow20111219-GOP-roundup-Ron-Paul-620.jpg)
Republican presidential candidates from left, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Rep. Ron Paul and Rep. Michele Bachmann debate in Sioux City, Iowa on December 15, 2011. (Photo credit: Eric Gay-Pool/Getty Images)

KEITH OLBERMANN: Two weeks after the Iowa caucuses and three polls show three different leaders. They all carry two messages, though — Newt Gingrich is collapsing and Ron Paul appears to be taken seriously.

In our fifth story on the “Countdown” — Gingrich is still ahead in the Gallup poll tied with Romney in the CNN poll, but in a third survey, the Texas congressman is leading. All of which might be why one ex-candidate tonight hinted at getting back in — or somebody else getting in. “It’s not too late for folks to jump in. Who knows what will happen in the future,” she said.

The latest Iowa results from Public Policy Polling showing Paul at 23 percent, Romney, 20, Gingrich, 14. Of particular note, Gingrich’s share of the vote has gone from 27 to 22 to 14 over the past two weeks.

Romney’s headline — it is hard to say if such things matter anymore, but he has won the endorsement of Iowa’s largest paper, The Des Moines Register. In 2008, the paper had bypassed Romney and endorsed John McCain.
Only a newspaper editor could sell a growing rep as a flip-flopper as a positive:
(Excerpt from video clip) RICK GREEN: He has morphed himself, transforming from an independent to a moderate Republican and liberal Boston with a Washington — with the Massachusetts legislature, to now a proud conservative.
I think throughout that entire transformation he has taken a very close perspective of the issues that he has traditionally had beliefs on, and — and in some cases adjusted it. He’s acknowledged that he’s made some mistakes in the communication of it, but what we thought was very refreshing — that you had a candidate who acknowledged that, perhaps different positions at different times, in response to some of the things that are unfolding in this country. I think that that showed some maturity on our behalf.
OLBERMANN: The mind reels.
Something more tangible ahead at the New Hampshire primary. Public Policy Polling’s latest survey there shows the former Massachusetts governor leading the pack with 35 percent of the vote. Paul comes in second with 19, Gingrich third, with 17.
As for the national outlook — that third poll that I referenced — Gingrich again losing support. A month ago, he was atop the CNN poll. Now he’s tied with Romney at 28, Ron Paul from 9 to 14 percent. continued... http://current.com/shows/countdown/blog/gop-roundup-ken-vogel-assesses-developments-in-the-race-to-win-iowa-ron-pauls-plausibility-as-a-contender