PDA

View Full Version : How would the American political spectrum change after a Paul presidency?

Cutlerzzz
12-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Just thinking, if Paul were elected, the empire that has been built over the course of the last 100 years would be dead. The war on drugs would be over, and most civil liberties would be restored. It would be more difficult to get his economic policies through, but he could do the previous three things largely on his own.

What would happen to the Republican Party? It would be next to impossible to talk about going to war with every country in the world with no overseas bases. Would foreign policy become a secondary issue? If that were the case, then Paul and his suporters would be the dominant force in the party, seeing as Libertarian views on Economics (especially Austrian) appeals more to Republicans than most other brands.

With the Empire out of play and Civil Liberties restored, would politics largely come down to Republican's offering more economic freedom and Democrats less?

Thoughts?

BuddyRey
12-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Interesting question! I was just researching what they call "political realignments" the other day. There have been, very generally, five distinct eras so far, delineated by marked changes in not only the ruling parties, but what ideologies govern these parties. We've been under the so-called "Fifth Party System" since the early 1930's, when Progressives and technocrats began driving much of the political change of the final half of last century. I think if Paul ushers in a Sixth Party System, it will approximate (but not directly resemble) the paradigm of the post-Civil War portion of the Third Party System, during which Imperialism and Monetary Issues were the central dividing lines between Republicans and Democrats. This is, interestingly enough, when Ron Paul's favorite president, Grover Cleveland, was the leader of the laissez-faire, pro-peace Bourbon Democrats.

LibertyEagle
12-20-2011, 06:17 AM
Cutlerzz, I think you're thinking he will be able to get done more than he will be able to.

Cutlerzzz
12-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Cutlerzz, I think you're thinking he will be able to get done more than he will be able to.Why do you say that?

DamianTV
12-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Cutlerzz, I think you're thinking he will be able to get done more than he will be able to.

One thing he can do is inspire people to vote for Honest Representation in Government. Ron Paul is the Symbol of an Honest Government.

low preference guy
12-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Hopefully it will show that a domestic small government can only be achieved with a non-interventionist foreign policy. That will allow Republicans to have a consistent small government platform in the future. Once he brings all the troops home, it'll be really hard for the U.S. to become again the world policeman.

And I disagree with LE that RP couldn't achieve the things mentioned in the OP. He can alone change the foreign policy and end the federal war on drugs by pardoning all non-violent drug prisoners.

LawnWake
12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
The same pro-war media you have now will exist then too. And they will fearmonger the crap out of the people. Just because the president is anti-interventionism doesn't mean Republicans in general suddenly will. Congress will still be hostile to Paul if the grassroots don't start electing decent representatives, regardless of party.

BuddyRey
12-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Bump!