PDA

View Full Version : Just got done phone banking...a guy loved RP...but didn't think he could win... =/

eleganz
12-19-2011, 11:05 PM
He even picked Jon Huntsman first as his choice....Gingrich as second...

#1 issue : beating Obama
#2 issue : jobs

He repeatedly told me how much he loves Ron Paul but he couldn't win and thats why he isn't voting for him. I brought up Iowa and NH but he said we need someone to beat Obama. I didn't want to turn it into an argument so I just thanked him for his time and wished him a good evening.

Will the campaign attempt to contact this guy?

seapilot
12-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Absolutely Yes he will be contacted and informed more about RP.

FriedChicken
12-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Doubtful because the answers to the survey wouldn't generally lead one to believe he is an easy convert.
The campaign FOR SURE contacts Ron Paul supporters.

They may possibly contact undecideds who list bringing the troops home as an important issue BUT I don't think they try to do any converting - instead they gather the information and see what holes they need to fill and just target the people as a large group (not one by one) by giving Ron pointers on what to include in his speeches and what the media team puts in their ads ... etc.

That whole "Bachmann hates muslims" thing might have been something the campaign brain put Ron up to to help with the anti-war vote in New Hampshire (where Hunstman is in a good place to start surging if he gains traction, I read the crosstabs to some polls, Ron needs to get that traction first).

.... everything I just said is speculation.

EuRa
12-19-2011, 11:18 PM
If his hate for Obama is bigger than his love for Ron Paul, then nothing you can do. He's a hater more than a lover.

Korey Kaczynski
12-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Should've thanked him for supporting Hunstman over Gingrich -- as he is FAR more reasonable than the rest of the GOP field excluding Paul -- but then mentioned Hunstman's low polling and funding, and how he can't vote Ron Paul because of this nonsense. Should've said the old guard in the media and GOP refuses to evolve and listen to reason, hence the denouncement of Paul. Then, at the end, say, "Thank you for your time, but you'll come around" in a friendly tone.

eleganz
12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
^^^

Exactly what I was thinking. I even had the feeling he was anti-Paul, and then he dropped the 'I love Ron Paul' bomb on me when I was saying this phone call was paid for by....

I didn't know what to do because there are no options for situations like these so I just ended it normally.

He is an easy convert..they just need to contact him with good facts...

On the bright side, I had a lady say she wanted end the wars because her son was in the marines and she didn't want him going to war. She said her son loves our boy Ron :)

refuge
12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Ron Paul can absolutely beat Obama if he wins the Primary. Republicans will vote for him to get Obama out of the whitehouse, Independents love him, and even Democrats have started the Blue Republican movement (something these people seem to be ignoring), where thousands of Democrats are registering Republican just to vote for Ron Paul in the primaries.
How can someone say Ron Paul couldn't beat Obama?

FriedChicken
12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
If this ever happens to anyone WRITE DOWN THE PERSON'S NAME and tell the campaign to look the person up. (Just thought of that).

eleganz
12-19-2011, 11:26 PM
If this ever happens to anyone WRITE DOWN THE PERSON'S NAME and tell the campaign to look the person up. (Just thought of that).

I forgot who it was...I think I remember but I'm not sure if I remember his name or the fella before him...

CableNewsJunkie
12-19-2011, 11:27 PM

He repeatedly told me how much he loves Ron Paul but he couldn't win and thats why he isn't voting for him. I brought up Iowa and NH but he said we need someone to beat Obama. I didn't want to turn it into an argument so I just thanked him for his time and wished him a good evening.

Multiple people have mentioned that the person on the receiving end of the call will have (2) choices for the nominee, but I've only seen the PFH program set up to accept just one choice. Should I start asking who their 2nd choice is anyway? I've never been prompted to ask.

If I follow what the PFH program tells me to do, then I SHOULD enter their true 1st choice (for the campaign's internal statistical polling purposes). It would be misleading the campaign if I entered their 2nd choice (perhaps Ron Paul) as their 1st choice.

I remember talking to a guy a couple weeks ago who was borderline Mitt Romney vs. Ron Paul. I asked him to pick one as his 1st choice and he picked Romney and justified it by referring to his "executive experience" even though he really liked Ron Paul ("ending the wars/bringing the troops home" was one of his top two issues). I guess what I'm getting at is - I don't see how the PFH program is set up to distinguish between a borderline/possible Ron Paul supporter and someone that may be totally averse to supporting him. It seems like it would make a difference in how the campaign might approach them in future calls/mailings.

FriedChicken
12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
I forgot who it was...I think I remember but I'm not sure if I remember his name or the fella before him...

I know how that is.

cdc482
12-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Ron Paul is MOST electable against Obama!!!
Show him the polls!!!!

eleganz
12-19-2011, 11:33 PM
From what I know, the second choice for president is for Nevada caucus...the state I was calling tonight, I didn't get it for Iowa or NH.

Maybe the campaign did this on purpose, I have no clue...I wish we knew more information.

Multiple people have mentioned that the person on the receiving end of the call will have (2) choices for the nominee, but I've only seen the PFH program set up to accept just one choice. Should I start asking who their 2nd choice is anyway? I've never been prompted to ask.

If I follow what the PFH program tells me to do, then I SHOULD enter their true 1st choice (for the campaign's internal statistical polling purposes). It would be misleading the campaign if I entered their 2nd choice (perhaps Ron Paul) as their 1st choice.

I remember talking to a guy a couple weeks ago who was borderline Mitt Romney vs. Ron Paul. I asked him to pick one as his 1st choice and he picked Romney and justified it by referring to his "executive experience" even though he really liked Ron Paul ("ending the wars/bringing the troops home" was one of his top two issues). I guess what I'm getting at is - I don't see how the PFH program is set up to distinguish between a borderline/possible Ron Paul supporter and someone that may be totally averse to supporting him. It seems like it would make a difference in how the campaign might approach them in future calls/mailings.

tremendoustie
12-19-2011, 11:33 PM

You need to quote Public Policy Polling, who said that statistically Ron Paul is the strongest republican candidate vs obama, period -- and mention that polls pitting republicans vs obama show that Ron Paul and Romney do best. Also, that Ron Paul beats obama by 10 points among independents, who are the key to winning the general, while the others all lose.

Eric21ND
12-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Huntsman?!?

CableNewsJunkie
12-19-2011, 11:35 PM
From what I know, the second choice for president is for Nevada caucus...the state I was calling tonight, I didn't get it for Iowa or NH.

Maybe the campaign did this on purpose, I have no clue...I wish we knew more information.

OK - that makes sense. The only states I've been calling are Iowa and NH.

Article V
12-19-2011, 11:36 PM

If he wants to beat Obama, the only rational vote is Ron Paul. The explanation is here: http://www.facebook.com/PaulorNothing2012

Ron Paul = most favored among Independents over Obama.
Ron Paul = most favored among swing Democrats over Obama.
Ron Paul Republicans = most likely NOT to support a second choice GOP nominee.

Let's all "Like" this Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/PaulorNothing2012. If the "Paul or Nothing 2012" movement takes off, guys like the one you called will convert themselves to our side since they'll recognize "Ron Paul is the only candidate who CAN beat Obama!"

muh_roads
12-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Always use what they tell you as experience so you are ready to counter their concerns. Before you make new calls, you should go grab the poll where Paul is the best against Obama so you have a source to back yourself up with in case it comes up again.

Eric39
12-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Next time anyone encounters this situation mention that Paul has the best chance due to bipartisan support.

The young Turks for example are exploring the idea that Paul would be better than obama because they can meet him half way and fight the other half in congress.

I was a democrat until my new voter card came in today, so I know the feeling, and I know Paul can steal votes away from Obama, not just feed off of the republican party liners.

Karsten
12-19-2011, 11:50 PM
This shows how important Iowa is.

RPit
12-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Thats why spreading flyers like this, or pointing out that RON PAUL does best with Independents means he is a best candidate! All that is required is that the GOP unite and with the independent vote we win!

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7629/defeatingobama.png

ronpaulhawaii
12-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Should've thanked him for supporting Hunstman over Gingrich -- as he is FAR more reasonable than the rest of the GOP field excluding Paul -- but then mentioned Hunstman's low polling and funding, and how he can't vote Ron Paul because of this nonsense. Should've said the old guard in the media and GOP refuses to evolve and listen to reason, hence the denouncement of Paul. Then, at the end, say, "Thank you for your time, but you'll come around" in a friendly tone.

^^^ wrong. A bunch of things. One glaring thing is that you are suggesting the voter is ignorant...

More importantly, pulling someone in with a survey and switching to a sale is a "bait and switch"

"Hi, I'm doing a survey for the Fruit Growers Association. Do you like Apples or Bananas? Oh, you like apples - Great, well let me tell you about The Liberty Orchards's new apple program. They'll put apples on every street corner..."

The strategy works the way it is done. Collect the data first

^^^

Exactly what I was thinking. I even had the feeling he was anti-Paul, and then he dropped the 'I love Ron Paul' bomb on me when I was saying this phone call was paid for by....

I didn't know what to do because there are no options for situations like these so I just ended it normally.

He is an easy convert..they just need to contact him with good facts...

On the bright side, I had a lady say she wanted end the wars because her son was in the marines and she didn't want him going to war. She said her son loves our boy Ron :)

It is common to have people express a liking for RP at the end. Sounds like you are doing good. I know it ain't easy holding back...

You wanna be quick about it. Say the disclaimer and some sort of bye, politely hanging up. Don't wait around for their reaction. That is venturing into a swamp

Sometimes I've been directly asked, in the middle of the introduction, who I am supporting.

"Would you mind if I answered that after running through our brief survey, ma'am/sir? We are looking for your unbiased opinion." ... "Thanks"

If pressed,

"Sure sir/ma'am, I'm a volunteer for Ron Paul, I trust the Good Doctor. Now the question I'm supposed to ask is..."

If they try to talk more I simply refer back to RPs honesty and try get back to the survey, hard to lose with that...

Keep it simple and only mention universally appealing aspects.

"Ron Paul is honest, and, he understands the economy, ma'm/sir, That's why I'm volunteering. Now, what issues..."

Follow what the program tells you to do, and call in and talk to them...

vechorik
12-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Lots of people want to talk politics during the phone survey (it's just the type of personality that ANSWERS surveys).
I just tell them that I have to remain neutral because of the survey and I can't discuss politics at this time.

Cuts down on getting into long-drawn-out conversations that the FOLLOW UP people are pros with.
I never mention Ron Paul until the very end -- quickly say -- goodnight -- goodby, etc and hang up.

During that "goodbye" I often hear comments:
He's a good man
He can't win
Good luck with him
I like him too

I figure it's not my job to go further. Go further and you run the risk of making SERIOUS mistakes (like I see posted above). Knocking another candidate is NOT our job!

LeJimster
12-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Wow, the logic is really baffeling it me. I like Ron Paul, but he's unelectable so I choose Huntsman? Who is coming near last in most polls right now? Very, very strange..

Icymudpuppy
12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I've been phone banking, and so far, I've not found a single RP supporter in over 75 calls. It's getting demoralizing.

vechorik
12-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I've been phone banking, and so far, I've not found a single RP supporter in over 75 calls. It's getting demoralizing.

It is my understanding that we are calling from a list that DOES NOT CONTAIN RP SUPPORTERS; therefore, when we find a supporter -- it's a rare and wonderful thing!

ronpaulhawaii
12-20-2011, 11:15 AM

It is my understanding that we are calling from a list that DOES NOT CONTAIN RP SUPPORTERS; therefore, when we find a supporter -- it's a rare and wonderful thing!

^^^ That is correct. The RP supporters all get taken out of the lists. When you find one it is usually someone who has never signed up, nor contacted the campaign... This is a prime reason for calling. On voting day we can now contact them and get them out to vote

vechorik
12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
^^^ That is correct. The RP supporters all get taken out of the lists. When you find one it is usually someone who has never signed up, nor contacted the campaign... This is a prime reason for calling. On voting day we can now contact them and get them out to vote

Isn't it also true, that from the answers on the "issues" and the candidate chosen, these people receive a follow-up call from the campaign?
Like someone chooses Mitt Romney and wants "gun rights" and to "end the wars" -- the campaign has just the info they need to talk to that Romney guy?

ronpaulhawaii
12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Isn't it also true, that from the answers on the "issues" and the candidate chosen, these people receive a follow-up call from the campaign?
Like someone chooses Mitt Romney and wants "gun rights" and to "end the wars" -- the campaign has just the info they need to talk to that Romney guy?

Exactly. Mailers and followup calls. The more callers we have the more data we will have for the campaign to work with