PDA

View Full Version : America, The Story of Us - too funny!

trey4sports
12-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm watching this history channel miniseries about America and different time periods and I'm literally cracking up right now.

rather than bring real historians on the show to talk about, ya know, history. they have washed up semi-celebs like Donald trump and Rudy guiliani talking about stuff they know nothing about. they have no clue what they're talking about. its all fluff

anyone else seen the show?

FreeTraveler
12-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I saw parts of it. There were bits of decent history interwoven in there, selectively edited to fit the government school version of history, of course. Lots and lots of talking heads and appeals to emotion -- the same ones evoked when Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles was played, I suppose.

liberty2897
12-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I started to watch it. After I saw both Rudy Giuliani and Newt Gingrich explaining the history of our country, I had to turn it off.

Xenophage
12-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I watched the first episode, and like the others said, I was dumbfounded. First, their history was like a watered down version of a third grader's homework. Next they had these insignificant celebrities spouting off meaningless drivel. That was a horrible, HORRIBLE 'documentary.'

Gumba of Liberty
12-19-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm a high school teacher and I use America: The Story of Us in class. I told my students from day one not to listen to the celebrity garbage in the films, I wish their was a better documentary out their but the fact is that it lines up (almost exactly) with what I need to teach them for their SOL (Virginia standardized test). I use parts of it as a supplement and I think if the film is cut into 10 min clips I can explain away the bullshit. This sounds like a weak argument but it's the truth. Granted I have just finished the Civil War, which was bullshit and I did not show, and it might start to get harder to defend.