PDA

View Full Version : Phone From Home Stories

hammy
12-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I've had some interesting calls so far. I'd love to hear some of your stories, I'm sure there's some good ones.

Here's my favorite call:

I called a household and a guy picked up. The name listed was a female. So, I asked if she was available. The man paused for a second and said, "I don't think she'd be able to right now." I didn't really press anything, I was about to say "Well have a good day etc." But he continued saying, "She just got back from her cancer treatments and she's a little under the weather." So I expressed my condolences for his wife's illness and Identified with him, after just recently losing my uncle and my grandmother developing lung cancer. We got into a discussion about the effect cancer has on so many lives with some politics in there. He eventually told me that he really wasn't sure who he should vote for, he just didn't feel any of them supported his second amendment rights. I informed him Ron Paul has never voted against the constitution in his 30 years of service and that he is a fervent supporter of individual rights. He was quite interested and said he was going to look into him. I of course told him I'd be praying for his wife that everything turns out well. He thanked me and appreciated me listening to his family's current difficulties.

My funniest call:
I call the number, a woman picks up asking something in a foreign language. I had no idea what it meant so I just asked for the name. I hear the phone being handed off and another person picks up, asking something else in a foreign language. I repeat myself. Then I hear the phone being handed off once again. Again, I repeat myself. The caller then YELLS, "NO ENGLES." I am trying to say "ok/bye" but the voice keeps repeating itself, "NO ENGLES." Hahha I lauged out loud after that one.

Bama Boy
12-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Haha, I'm not getting many people picking up. I have no idea how these polling companies do it.

PismoPam
12-19-2011, 07:54 PM
I've worked for a dozen polling companies.
It now costs a fortune, because most folks don't/won't answer.
Please believe me when I say we are the very best hope for the campaign, because it takes so much time to find interested people this way.
But it is so very worth it!

Steve-in-NY
12-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Best call was choices for gop the caller literally yelled
Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul!

Bama Boy
12-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Haha, just spoke with a man that raised his voice saying "I don't share my politics on the phone. I will chose them in the voting booth."

Can't say I disagree with him, but we gotta do what we gotta do!

beardedlinen
12-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I finally got someone willing to take the survey: a kind elderly woman in Iowa. I asked her who she'd vote for if the caucus were held today. She was undecided. Cool. Maybe she'll go for Paul. So I go onto the next question (Most important issue to you) and she says Education. Education was not on the list. I told her this and she immediately began speaking about the importance of education. Embarrassed, I agreed but said it wasn't one of the options and began reading them off. She decided on the debt. Ok. Got that over with. Of course the next question is the second most important issue to you. She said social security. For some reason, far be it from me, social security is not an option either. Feeling even more ridiculous, I told her this. She eventually went with Jobs and the Economy.

Can someone tell me why SS is not an option for most important issue? That was an EXTREMELY awkward call. ><

The other project I was on tells you to rattle off the list before the party responds. For some reason, this project didn't mention it so I figured maybe the campaign had changed its approach.

Still feeling a bit weird, but not stopping. :)

beardedlinen
12-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Double post. Delete at will.

Eric21ND
12-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Great stories.

CableNewsJunkie
12-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Haha, just spoke with a man that raised his voice saying "I don't share my politics on the phone. I will chose them in the voting booth."

Can't say I disagree with him, but we gotta do what we gotta do!

I had one of those calls tonight too - it was a lady - she said almost the same thing.

I wonder if some rival campaigns are advising their supporters not to participate in our polls. - LOL

CableNewsJunkie
12-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I had a guy answer the phone with "Merry Christmas?!" tonight and it totally threw me off.

He had company over and the call didn't go past the introduction (which I fumbled).

ronpaulhawaii
12-19-2011, 08:38 PM
When encountering an issue not on the list, just be agreeable, "Yes, that is a big issue, and what else on this list is important..."

Not the best strategy to volunteer that their big issue is not on the list...

vechorik
12-19-2011, 08:40 PM
"She's 97 and doesn't take phone calls."

"I'm voting for Obama, so leave me alone."

At the end of a survey the guy said : "Where are you calling from? I mean WHAT STATE? (I told him) You have a beautiful voice. Bet you have dark hair and brown eyes, don't you" I thanked him and ended the call pretty fast!

Got a drunk one night that just would NOT shut up. I wasn't talking -- THEY were. On phone at least 5 minutes with that guy!

"Hey, give me YOUR phone number. I want to call you while you're eating dinner!"

Without a doubt the sweetest call was an elderly lady that chose Ron Paul. Said she couldn't use a bumper sticker because she doesn't drive anymore. Can't use a sign because she's in an assisted living facility. She said she wanted to send money, but her husband is in a nursing home and she really can't afford it. She said "I pray for him a lot."
I thanked her. Told her those prayers were important and please keep them up.
(Sure thanked the heavens for my blessings when I ended that call)

We should ALL be grateful for what we have -- Just think of what Dr. Paul has endured for us -- can't we try REALLY hard to make his "phone from home" program a success?

Bama Boy
12-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I just joined the program tonight. I do think its valuable, especially if RP has made a special video to ask for volunteers. Plus its free! (No gas money, materials..etc) Just some cell minutes or Skype account.

For casual readers on the forum, I urge you to help RP and me out contacting the voters in key states: Phone.RonPaul2012.com (http://Phone.RonPaul2012.com)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?330123-Tutorial-Phone-Banking-with-Skype

SlowSki
12-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I made 121 calls earlier... and only a few actually let me talk to them. I asked one lady who she would vote for and she said "none of them.. its all pointless!" and then hung up on me. Now I know what being a telemarketer is like.

Question for anyone: What do you say when another person answers the phone and inquires about what we are calling for? I've been much more successful when the person I'm trying to question actually answers the phone.

Eric21ND
12-19-2011, 08:48 PM
When encountering an issue not on the list, just be agreeable, "Yes, that is a big issue, and what else on this list is important..."

You should add the phone banking facebook group to your signature. That group is amazingly helpful for newbies!

beardedlinen
12-19-2011, 08:48 PM

I'm getting better as I go along. :p

Woot! 2 surveys just completed with NV voters. One undecided and one Pro-Paul.

hammy
12-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Question for anyone: What do you say when another person answers the phone and inquires about what we are calling for? I've been much more successful when the person I'm trying to question actually answers the phone.

I agree 100% with this, I'd love to hear some techniques people have. Anytime it's another person that answers, and you explain what you're asking for, it's like a guaranteed hangup. What I try to do, is if it's a person of the obvious opposite gender to the name on the list, I ask, "Is this the <last name> household?" and usually they answer the question bi-partisanly. Like, "Well I'm voting for... but my wife/husband..."

vechorik
12-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Just read the script: "My name is ________ and I'm a volunteer helping to conduct a Republican Presidential Primary Poll."

They will: hang up, tell you the person isn't there, get the person for you -- it's all you can do. I don't ever mention Ron Paul unless they complete the survey.

Eric21ND
12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
We need to advertise the phone from home project more on facebook and everywhere else.

vechorik
12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm getting better as I go along. :p

Woot! 2 surveys just completed with NV voters. One undecided and one Pro-Paul.

+1 Yep, I made almost 200 calls with NO surveys today on that IA list, but the NV list is MUCH BETTER!
If anyone got disappointed during this afternoon -- give it a shot at night for the NV list -- easier

SlowSki
12-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Just read the script: "My name is ________ and I'm a volunteer helping to conduct a Republican Presidential Primary Poll."

They will: hang up, tell you the person isn't there, get the person for you -- it's all you can do. I don't ever mention Ron Paul unless they complete the survey.

But it has you say, is John Adams available? I've had spouses ask, "may I ask what you are calling for?" I've said the Republican Presidential Primary Poll, but they usually just hang up. I would not mention Ron Paul, but was wondering if there is an alternative. The reason it works so much better if the actual person answers is that you can roll right into the question and often times the person is simply pressured in to answering.

Bama Boy
12-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Whoa, the Facebook page is a gold mine. Thanks for letting me know about that.

seapilot
12-19-2011, 09:07 PM
But it has you say, is John Adams available? I've had spouses ask, "may I ask what you are calling for?" I've said the Republican Presidential Primary Poll, but they usually just hang up. I would not mention Ron Paul, but was wondering if there is an alternative. The reason it works so much better if the actual person answers is that you can roll right into the question and often times the person is simply pressured in to answering.

I have that happen all the time. Tell them its a short Presidential poll that takes less than a minute. I have had at least two people pass the phone off to others that were RP supporters. If they say the other person is not interested put them as unavailable.

RonPaulCult
12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I got a woman who told me she's 103 years old! She could hardly hear me and after I asked her the first question she was like "is this a person of a machine"

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was a person, but I told her yes, I'm human haha. She still didn't believe it maybe.

She eventually told me that she doesn't know what's going on or who would be running but that she always votes and will be voting "next spring, summer, winter....uhhh...whenever the election is"

Haha - I should have just said RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL to beat it into her head. Awww....God bless her - 103 years old. It was kind of a thrill to talk to her.

SlowSki
12-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Just talked to a guy in Nevada that was a huge Bachmann supporter, but put Ron second. He would not stop talking about politics and was super energetic. When I said the poll was paid for by Ron Paul 2012 he was like "what?!" and got even more excited. I told him he made my night LOL.

limequat
12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
A woman's name pops on screen. A dude picks up.

Me: Hello is Cindy available please?
Dude: No, can I take your name?
Me: That's alright, I'll call back later.
Dude: NO! WHO IS THIS!
Me: Uh, I'm XXXXX calling regarding a Presidential primary poll...
Dude: <calmer> Oh, ok.
<click>

Dude seriously thought his wife as cheating or something.

beardedlinen
12-19-2011, 09:35 PM

<click>

rofl

vechorik
12-19-2011, 09:36 PM

<click>

Yep, I'm female and I get that with the suspicious women! LOL Best to tell them what it's about, I think.

limequat
12-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Yep, I'm female and I get that with the suspicious women! LOL Best to tell them what it's about, I think.

Yep, from then on if I get, "May I ask who's calling" I give my name and WHY I'm calling.

J_White
12-19-2011, 10:03 PM
keep working people !
this is currently the best way to contribute to the Ron Paul Revolution !

jclay2
12-19-2011, 10:25 PM
tried phone from home for the first time today. Did 70 calls and only got one survey. One person mentioned that six people from ron paul had tried to contact her over the last week and that she was getting very annoyed with our organization. She then proceeded to tell me that Ron Paul has a great message, but Ron's platform to legalize drugs would be harmful to her children. It took a lot from me to say thank you and just leave it at that. I mean, seriously, pot is easier to come by then alcohol in high school. How could people be so fearful and insane?

SlowSki
12-19-2011, 10:32 PM
tried phone from home for the first time today. Did 70 calls and only got one survey. One person mentioned that six people from ron paul had tried to contact her over the last week and that she was getting very annoyed with our organization. She then proceeded to tell me that Ron Paul has a great message, but Ron's platform to legalize drugs would be harmful to her children. It took a lot from me to say thank you and just leave it at that. I mean, seriously, pot is easier to come by then alcohol in high school. How could people be so fearful and insane?

I was wondering earlier if it is a good thing that we keep saying we are with Ron Paul 2012.

hammy
12-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I was wondering earlier if it is a good thing that we keep saying we are with Ron Paul 2012.

I say it/don't say it depending how the phone call goes. Pretty good rule of thumb. Although... if it goes really bad, you can always say sponsored by "Mitt Romney" LOL.

seapilot
12-19-2011, 10:35 PM

I only mention that after a completed survey. Then at least they wont get any more people calling from RP to do surveys.

seapilot
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
I once got a person that was deceased, that was awkward. I got an older lady 90 years that told me what was wrong with the country was we were losing our freedoms. Another person lectured me for 5 minutes telling me if all the candidates should spend their time trying to figure out how to improve the economy rather than wasting money and time campaigning.

speciallyblend
12-19-2011, 10:48 PM
I had a guy answer the phone with "Merry Christmas?!" tonight and it totally threw me off.

He had company over and the call didn't go past the introduction (which I fumbled).

hehe, yeah my idea of christmas is all the days in dec until after jan 1st! When i take my tree down. i am always saying merry christmas even at the front desk i am a rebel no happy holidays from me just merry christmas! Merry christmas is my way of forgetting all the bs!!

cdc482
12-19-2011, 11:47 PM
I have a good story from Ames. I called someone who said they voted for Obama in 08.
I said, "Oh. Well, thank you for your time, and I hope you do consider voting for Ron Paul this time around because he would bring all of the troops home immediately."
What I heard on the other end: That sound someone makes when they were about to say something but then hold their breath in thought. Then, "Thanks."

I'd bet money that she's turned into an RP supporter by now.

vechorik
12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm calling NV tonight...was asking a lady her 2nd choice for the nominee for president....she said DONALD TRUMP!
Fortunately, his name isn't on the list (yet).

unknown
12-30-2011, 08:29 PM
On a NH call from today:

Went through my introduction and as soon as the caller heard that I wanted to conduct a poll about the Republican primaries, he was fast to get off the phone, saying quickly before he hung up:

"I'm not interested, I'm a Ron Paul guy". Click.

/end thread.

nyrgoal99
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Great Job

It is very hard to get people on the phone in NH, although when they do answer a significant number support Paul

vechorik
12-30-2011, 08:36 PM
On a NH call from today:

Went through my introduction and as soon as the caller heard that I wanted to conduct a poll about the Republican primaries, he was fast to get off the phone, saying quickly before he hung up:

"I'm not interested, I'm a Ron Paul guy". Click.

/end thread.

+1 for calling

Oh no! LOL Were you still able to mark him Ron Paul -- I've had to do that when people shout a name to me and hang up -- the survey still counts.
I found a RP a few minutes ago too -- he was "unusual" -- said his most-pressing issue wasn't on the list -- GET BACK TO THE CONSTITUTION! LOL

PierzStyx
12-30-2011, 09:03 PM
I finally got someone willing to take the survey: a kind elderly woman in Iowa. I asked her who she'd vote for if the caucus were held today. She was undecided. Cool. Maybe she'll go for Paul. So I go onto the next question (Most important issue to you) and she says Education. Education was not on the list. I told her this and she immediately began speaking about the importance of education. Embarrassed, I agreed but said it wasn't one of the options and began reading them off. She decided on the debt. Ok. Got that over with. Of course the next question is the second most important issue to you. She said social security. For some reason, far be it from me, social security is not an option either. Feeling even more ridiculous, I told her this. She eventually went with Jobs and the Economy.

Can someone tell me why SS is not an option for most important issue? That was an EXTREMELY awkward call. ><

The other project I was on tells you to rattle off the list before the party responds. For some reason, this project didn't mention it so I figured maybe the campaign had changed its approach.

Still feeling a bit weird, but not stopping. :)

There is a list you HAVE to stick to? That's kinda lame. I suppose it works if you don't have all the Paul-know how but Paul has very clear and strong stances on both those issues. The fact that his economic plan cuts so much spending AND still raises SS benefits is a huge plus for us. Use it!

Sublyminal
12-30-2011, 09:04 PM
I got called a ronbot... and then the guy shouted that he's voting for Romney or Santorum... I was speechless.

samsung1
12-30-2011, 09:38 PM
i get my wife and sometimes her friend to help call Iowa voters. females get way better responses. my wife's friend has a great phone voice. she can sell air over the phone.

cdc482
12-30-2011, 09:43 PM
I got 2 surveys in NH today, that I am confident will come around to Ron Paul.

One guy said, "Well, Romney is leading, but I don't like Mormons. (Undecided)" His two most important issues: Gun Rights and Ending Abortion
Another guys had Huntsman first, then Romney, then Paul, but get this. His most important issues were Abortion and Ending the Wars :O

Made a little over 100 calls, and left A LOT of voicemails.

cdc482
12-30-2011, 09:44 PM
There is a list you HAVE to stick to? That's kinda lame. I suppose it works if you don't have all the Paul-know how but Paul has very clear and strong stances on both those issues. The fact that his economic plan cuts so much spending AND still raises SS benefits is a huge plus for us. Use it!

I would go off script in Iowa. Especially cause Ron Paul has great positions on both those issues.

cdc482
12-30-2011, 09:45 PM
+1 for calling

Oh no! LOL Were you still able to mark him Ron Paul -- I've had to do that when people shout a name to me and hang up -- the survey still counts.
I found a RP a few minutes ago too -- he was "unusual" -- said his most-pressing issue wasn't on the list -- GET BACK TO THE CONSTITUTION! LOL

Ya. That happened to me twice today. One guys said, "Put Romney BYE." I was like, "Wait. There are more questions. Then he/she (wasn't sure) laughed, and hung up."

One lady said, "None of them. I'm voting for Obama." I was so taken back, that by the time I realized I had more questions to ask, she had hung up.

limequat
12-30-2011, 09:49 PM
"I'm not fucking voting so shove it up your ass!"

Muttley
12-30-2011, 09:55 PM
"I'm not fucking voting so shove it up your ass!"

+1 for taking some abuse! LOL!

limequat
12-30-2011, 10:11 PM
+1 for taking some abuse! LOL!

Lol, thanks. I also found my first Romney supporter.

...and I don't mean my first via phone from home either!

seapilot
12-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I had a lady tell me that libertarians need to go back to Russia or Germany where they came from. Reminded me of watching Leno ask basic civic questions on the street for stupid answers.

Vergil
12-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I had a lady tell me that libertarians need to go back to Russia or Germany where they came from. Reminded me of watching Leno ask basic civic questions on the street for stupid answers. http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/HelloBeautiful--ox/2v8s760.gif