PDA

View Full Version : What does the older generation want ?

George_K
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Out of all people, I cant understand how it can be the Vietnam Generation that cannot see the similarities, and history repeating itself, to the point that it becomes really really obvious that the course the nation is going cannot be maintained.

This is the demograph of people where RP has the least amount of supporters, and where he should have the most amount of supporters. Do they not understand freedom? Do they not understand the consequences of living beyond your means, the consequences of pointless neverending wars, and trying to maintain an empire stretched out over the whole world is not a succesful strategy. The status quo, is that really how the older generations want America to be?

Svenskar_för_Ron_Paul
12-19-2011, 06:27 PM
They don't understand computers (many atleast).

CaseyJones
12-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I am 45 and I know what I want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hgz-q76KtQ

KingNothing
What do they want? Whatever Rushbo, Sean Hannity and Bill O' tell them to want. Whatever drive-time radio says they should want. Whatever Fox News pushes. Whatever Establishment Pundits know the country needs. So, tinkering around the edges of economic reform and a belligerent foreign policy. They won't be easy to convert.

InTradePro
I'm not sure about 45+ but for 60+ females read the thread on Carol Paul (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?339838-Carol-Paul-quot-Truth-will-win-quot)

PauliticsPolitics
12-19-2011, 06:31 PM
It is more-so the 65+ crowd.
Many of them apparently still trust the TV.
The TV tells them be scared, vote for war, etc.
That's my best guess.
But from what I have gathered from people on here, the older vote can be won if we get the message to them.
This is why phone-from-home is important - we can get the message out to non-internet people, it just takes a bit of work.

Brian4Liberty
12-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Out of all people, I cant understand how it can be the Vietnam Generation that cannot see the similarities, and history repeating itself, to the point that it becomes really really obvious that the course the nation is going cannot be maintained.

The establishment learned a lesson during Vietnam: the people will not accept a war with a draft. An all-volunteer military has made people less interested in opposing the war, and has emboldened chicken hawks to advocate for war when they know that they and their families will not be forced to fight.

scottditzen
12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
At that age it's much easier to be isolated. That's a generation that relied on three identical tv networks for news.

Pauls' Revere
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM
The establishment learned a lesson during Vietnam: the people will not accept a war with a draft. An all-volunteer military has made people less interested in opposing the war, and has emboldened chicken hawks to advocate for war when they know that they and their families will not be forced to fight.

SPOT ON!

bring up the draft and see how fast the anti-war crowd responds. We would be out of Afghanistan tommorrow.

+ rep

Paul4Prez
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm 45+. I want freedom, prosperity, and peace!

donnay
12-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I want liberty and freedom and most of all I want government out of my life!!

CaptUSA
12-19-2011, 06:43 PM
This is a very collectivist thread. There is no 45+ "crowd" That's like asking what the youth of America want.

Each person is an individual. If we can't get past this on RPF, imagine how hard it is to educate the rest of the country!

If we continue to slot people into demographics, we are losing the beauty of the individual. This campaign is about gathering together all individuals. You can't appeal to an individual as a group.

Pauls' Revere
12-19-2011, 06:43 PM
As for me I want my children to live in the most free society on Earth.

SchleckBros
12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
This age group doesn't use the internet. All the news they get is from the radio and television. So they are going to support whomever the pundits tell them to support. It's that simple.

Travlyr
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
When the 45+ crowd was growing up money was redeemable and sound. Remember Nixon severed the money from the gold standard in 1971. Sound money creates prosperity, so they enjoyed prosperous times throughout much of their lives. A lot of small business entrepreneurs were dedicated hard working people and became quite successful both at business and investing. A lot of the others went to work for government agencies, so they are still doing quite well too. But - "The Times They Are A Changin"

The last 10 years have been hard on small businesses economically, yet with their nose to the grind stone they endeavor to achieve. Nonetheless, they are losing ground because the inflation tax, and faltering economy, are destroying their hard earned wealth faster than they can keep up with it. As prices continue to rise and asset values continue to fall, the 45+ crowd will be looking for answers. Ron Paul has answers. Government employees and retirees will be the last to come on board.

Be patient, make calls, and be ready to welcome them to their new found truth when they start asking questions.

airborne373
12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
For you to stop posting and go back to work and pay for their entitlements. Now stop wasting their money.

12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
My mom is 63 and I have a few uncles around the same age.

We talked about it a bit over thanksgiving. The big issues for them are the wars and SS. They want the wars to end and want to be sure they get their SS.

All of them use the internet daily.

They like Ron on FP and economic policy, but need reassurance they will get SS. They understand about young people opting out and were ok with it, but feel like they paid for it and deserve to get it.

Cap
12-19-2011, 06:55 PM
There are 10 guys at work all over 45 and huge Ron supporters. I am 56 and I want my country back for my grandchildren. Don't put people in boxes it just shows ignorance.

gls
12-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I can understand why a lot of older people might not support Paul. He wants to radically upend the establishment and it is a scary for a lot of those heavily vested - one way or another - in the system.

driller80545
12-19-2011, 06:57 PM
These old people have known nothing but corrupt government for 5 or 6 decades. They are cynical. They don't believe anything will change even if RP is elected. Or maybe I only speak for myself. I am of the Vietnam generation.\ I will vote for RP. It is my last ditch effort before fleeing the country.

tbone717
12-19-2011, 07:01 PM
This age group doesn't use the internet. All the news they get is from the radio and television. So they are going to support whomever the pundits tell them to support. It's that simple.

That is simply incorrect. Pew research numbers from 2009 showed that 81% of adults 30-49 use the internet, 70% of those 50-64 and 38% of those 65+. Considering that internet usage has increased every year, I would imagine that those numbers are even higher today. Another study by Pew showed that people of all age groups use the internet for news.

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2011, 07:02 PM
This is a very collectivist thread. There is no 45+ "crowd" That's like asking what the youth of America want.

Each person is an individual. If we can't get past this on RPF, imagine how hard it is to educate the rest of the country!

If we continue to slot people into demographics, we are losing the beauty of the individual. This campaign is about gathering together all individuals. You can't appeal to an individual as a group.

The OP is pretty new, so his err is forgivable-but hopefully he'll unlearn that collectivism pretty quick. :)

klamath
12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Are we talking about republican 65+ voters? Because with all voters RP's weakest age group is the under 30 crowd. What do they want?

Pauls' Revere
12-19-2011, 07:13 PM
I can understand why a lot of older people might not support Paul. He wants to radically upend the establishment and it is a scary for a lot of those heavily vested - one way or another - in the system.

The matrix is a system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ictilR7BM94
noone wants to be unplugged from.

CaptUSA
12-19-2011, 07:16 PM
What do they want?I would imagine most of them would like you to stop putting them in a box simply because of their age.

Listen, I know it makes it easy for us to classify people, but take you cue from the good Dr. Each person is unique. Contact each individual. Don't worry about which "group" they belong to. One vote is no more important than the next.

The only caveat I'd add to this thought is about access. There are some people who have more access to Paul's ideas than others. The more exposure you have, the more likely you are to support him. So if there is someone you know that hasn't been exposed, be sure to expose them to these ideas. And if that person is influential, all the better as they may expose someone else.

LibertyEagle
12-19-2011, 07:18 PM

:rolleyes:

Many use the internet. Get real.

12-19-2011, 07:38 PM
The OP is pretty new, so his err is forgivable-but hopefully he'll unlearn that collectivism pretty quick. :)

Like it or not, you need to understand demographics in an election. You need to know what the majority of (not all) people in a certain demographic prefer so you can target your message to them.

klamath
12-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I would imagine most of them would like you to stop putting them in a box simply because of their age.Listen, I know it makes it easy for us to classify people, but take you cue from the good Dr. Each person is unique. Contact each individual. Don't worry about which "group" they belong to. One vote is no more important than the next.

The only caveat I'd add to this thought is about access. There are some people who have more access to Paul's ideas than others. The more exposure you have, the more likely you are to support him. So if there is someone you know that hasn't been exposed, be sure to expose them to these ideas. And if that person is influential, all the better as they may expose someone else.
You need to figure out sarcasm. A thread like this is brought up every month or two for the last 4 years.

jason43
12-19-2011, 07:41 PM
They want to die before the bill comes due for all the "free" crap they've voted for themselves over the last 75 years.

FlatIron
12-19-2011, 07:44 PM
My mom is 63 and I have a few uncles around the same age.

We talked about it a bit over thanksgiving. The big issues for them are the wars and SS. They want the wars to end and want to be sure they get their SS.

All of them use the internet daily.

They like Ron on FP and economic policy, but need reassurance they will get SS. They understand about young people opting out and were ok with it, but feel like they paid for it and deserve to get it.

tell them that Ron Paul will still honor the SS for people who are already paying for it.

jason43
12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
:rolleyes:

Many use the internet. Get real.

My mom is 50 and can hardly use google, and gets most of her news from 60 Minutes, the local newspaper, and whatever is on the front page of Yahoo when she gets into her email. I'd say she is the average person of her age group. She doesnt get into the news, and doesnt intensely follow politics. She also votes in every election. I'd say most people are like her. Both my parents are also not too happy with Obama, mostly on the economy, but have little understanding on exactly why the economy is doing so bad. They are kind of my reality check on what people who arent obsessed with this stuff like me are thinking. They also dont like Romney. My moms quote was "he reminds me of a used car salesman."

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Like it or not, you need to understand demographics in an election. You need to know what the majority of (not all) people in a certain demographic prefer so you can target your message to them.
Oh, of course. I didn't mean to play down the importance of that. It's a common rule of thumb in public speaking (especially persuasive speaking) to tailor one's message to the audience.

12-19-2011, 07:47 PM
tell them that Ron Paul will still honor the SS for people who are already paying for it.

They know, don't worry. I'm not new at this. :)

Brian4Liberty
12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
This age group doesn't use the internet.

Yeah, all you old people don't know how to use the intertubes! You hardly know how to use indoor plumbing. You drive slow too! :p

Dr.3D
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
As an Old Geezer, I suspect the older generation would like not to be looked at as a group. How would those kids like to be thought of as being all alike?

tod evans
12-20-2011, 10:40 AM
As an Old Geezer, I suspect the older generation would like not to be looked at as a group. How would those kids like to be thought of as being all alike?

You mean they're not? ;)

SonofThunder
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM

This is the demograph of people where RP has the least amount of supporters, and where he should have the most amount of supporters. Do they not understand freedom? Do they not understand the consequences of living beyond your means, the consequences of pointless neverending wars, and trying to maintain an empire stretched out over the whole world is not a succesful strategy. The status quo, is that really how the older generations want America to be?

They want "their" medicare and social security payments, period. That is all, that is it. They talk about the constitution at their 9/12 meetings, but the bottom line is that gubment paycheck, and that's it.

That's why they'll grin and vote for Mitt Romney because they know he's not going to shake things up significantly, he'll protect their gubment checks, and he'll "stop Obama". (even though all he'll really do is delay the collapse until the next election.)

TomtheTinker
12-20-2011, 10:44 AM
It seems to me the elders just want what they are "owed". I always thought wisdom came from age..as I age myself I realize that's just not the case.

smithtg
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
That's my best guess.
But from what I have gathered from people on here, the older vote can be won if we get the message to them.
This is why phone-from-home is important - we can get the message out to non-internet people, it just takes a bit of work.

My dad is 72. He still trusts TV and newspapers. I tell him every time I see him not to believe any of the garbage in either. He uses the internet more and I think I can convince him to vote RP in the general (and he was a big Obama man).

WIRP
12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Age is not the real story.

I think it has more to do with how people get their news. Traditional media (TV and radio) is a one way street, and older people rely on this more so. So when Newt or Romney lie for 10 minutes during a 90 minute debate, there's no frame of reference to see how legitimate their positions are. That's followed up by the panel of experts that the average TV viewer or radio listener tends to trust. So they spin the media narrative, and that's now another layer to reinforce the narrative in their minds.

Younger people have grown up with technology, and gathering news is a two way street. So no matter how the media tries to portray Ron Paul, you can clearly see the hypocrisy, lies, and propaganda of the liberal media or the Fox propaganda machine. It's so clear to us, because we have more access to more information.

It has less to do with age, and more to do with access to information. Even younger people who rely on mainstream media tend to get duped. Luckily more of their peers tend to be on the internet, so they are more encouraged to check out sources, whether through google or youtube, etc. You can watch a youtube video for 15 minutes and get a better picture for the true story of our situation, than watching all the debates combined.

mconder
12-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Same as everybody else. Something for nothing. They got con'd and didn't prepare for old age. They want $$$

seraphson
12-20-2011, 11:11 AM
SPOT ON!

bring up the draft and see how fast the anti-war crowd responds. We would be out of Afghanistan tommorrow.

+ rep

Excellent point but as we all know the establishment is capable of offering a laundry list of military benefits since they control the printing press at the Fed and coincidentally that same printing press control makes for worsened economic conditions further exacerbating the "lucrativeness" of joining the military. (that was purposefully a run-on.) Why bother with a scary draft when you can crush the economy and offer an overhyped benefit laced job package that at the bottom level requires the skill of fogging a mirror as a pass?

vechorik
12-20-2011, 11:29 AM
That's my best guess.

I agree totally. The Ron Paul is popular with "younger voters" is just another way to discredit Dr. Paul.
Dr. Paul concentrated on speaking at universities is another reason.
If Dr. Paul had spent the time Hermain Cain spent in talking with Tea Parties across America, he would be leading the polls.
It's a matter of EDUCATION and the older people aren't being reached.
I'm 60, but on the computer a lot. I learned about Dr. Paul mostly from YouTube.
EDUCATION

Bossobass
12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
When the 45+ crowd was growing up money was redeemable and sound. Remember Nixon severed the money from the gold standard in 1971. Sound money creates prosperity, so they enjoyed prosperous times throughout much of their lives. A lot of small business entrepreneurs were dedicated hard working people and became quite successful both at business and investing. A lot of the others went to work for government agencies, so they are still doing quite well too. But - "The Times They Are A Changin"

The last 10 years have been hard on small businesses economically, yet with their nose to the grind stone they endeavor to achieve. Nonetheless, they are losing ground because the inflation tax, and faltering economy, are destroying their hard earned wealth faster than they can keep up with it. As prices continue to rise and asset values continue to fall, the 45+ crowd will be looking for answers. Ron Paul has answers. Government employees and retirees will be the last to come on board.

Be patient, make calls, and be ready to welcome them to their new found truth when they start asking questions.

Basically... THIS^^^

For you to stop posting and go back to work and pay for their entitlements. Now stop wasting their money.

Crock of Shit ^^^

This e-mail was sent me recently by an anonymous "old lady who don't use da internets" and sums up the "entitlements" bullshit:

> Remember, not only did you contribute to Social Security but your employer did too. It totaled 15% of your income before taxes. If you averaged only $30K over your working life, that's close to $220,500.
>
> If you calculate the future value of $4,500 per year (yours & your employer's contribution) at a simple 5% (less than what the govt. pays on the money that it borrows), after 49 years of working you'd have $892,919.98.
>
> If you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $26,787.60 per year and it would last better than 30 years (until you're 95 if you retire at age 65) and that's with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit! If you bought an annuity and it paid 4% per year, you'd have a lifetime income of $2,976.40 per month.
>
> The folks inWashington have pulled off a bigger Ponzi scheme than Bernie Madhoff ever had.
>
> Entitlement my _ _ _, I paid cash for my social security insurance!!!! Just because they borrowed the money, doesn't make my benefits some kind of charity or handout!!
>
> Congressional benefits ---- free healthcare, outrageous retirement packages, 67 paid holidays, three weeks paid vacation, unlimited paid sick days, now that's welfare, and they have the nerve to call my social security retirement entitlements?
>
> We're "broke" and can't help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, Homeless
>
> In the last months we have provided aid to Haiti, Chile , and Turkey . And now Pakistan ......home of bin Laden. Literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!
>
> Our retired seniors living on a 'fixed income' receive no aid nor do they get any breaks while our government and religious organizations pour Hundreds of Billions of $$$$$$'s and Tons of Food to Foreign Countries!
>
> They call Social Security and Medicare an entitlement even though most of us have been paying for it all our working lives and now when it's time for us to collect, the government is running out of money. Why did the government borrow from it in the first place? Imagine if the *GOVERNMENT* gave 'US' the same support they give to other countries.
>
> Sad isn't it?
>
> 99% of people won't have the guts to forward this.
>
> I'm one of the 1% -- I Just Did.

From a personal standpoint, I would like to say that you shit-for-brains who can't find Louisiana on a map after 18 years of school can shove your contributions up your a$$es. I don't need them. Never did, never will. Never collected a dime of unemployment, welfare, food stamps, gov guaranteed loans, gov grants, etc. Never cheated on taxes at any level. Never cheated on my wife.

But, I'll tell you this; if we had the internet and computers on every desk when I was "young", you'd never have caught me surfing forums, in between keeping the porn sites in business, spewing my personal judgments against the world in the middle of the day when I was instead doing what I was being paid to do.

The SS was taken off the top for 50 years and put into a "trust Fund". I don't want payments. I don't want interest. I don't want cost of living adjustments. I just want back what was taken. One lump sum will do. No double tax.

Further, I want smaller gov at every level. I want a balanced budget. I want all military home now and I want all of these cockroaches who profess belief in evolution to F*&^%$ evolve already and shove wars (and proponents of wars) where they belong. I want fraud prosecuted to the highest levels, then... I just want to be left the f*#k alone.

Does that narrow my choice for POTUS?

I'll tell ya one thing, FWIW, all you "The campaign should do THIS and the campaign should do THAT"... you will never get people on board by telling them they only want your lame a$$ to go back to work to pay for their "entitlements". Sad that anyone would ever have to actually offer that no-brainer, but there it is for the extra slow ones.

Bosso

jkr
12-20-2011, 11:51 AM
to live forever at the expenses of everyone else

klamath
12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
to live forever at the expenses of everyone else
So since this thread has deteriorated into the age bashing thread I though it would let me add. The young people want their entire lives paid for at someone elses expense, not just their retirement years, otherwise they wouldn't be RP's worse demographic in the general election and Obamas biggist supporters.

JK/SEA
12-20-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm 60. Retired. This thread offends me. I want what everybody else wants. To eat lollipops all day in the warm sun whilst singing silly love songs.

side note: i have a private pension, and have paid into soc sec since 1967. I've given over 1100 bucks to Ron ..so far, and i'm an elected PCO. I worked my ass off for 35 years and have the bad back to prove it.