PDA

View Full Version : Religion: Separation of Church and State

captain
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I need some kind of understanding of what Ron Paul believes on this issue. While I believe our government leaders should be Christians, yet the seperation of church and state seems important to me. We have the four fundamental freedoms in place right now in our Country:

1. Freedom of worship (to worship where we want)
2. Freedom of speech (to say what we want)
3. Freedom of religion (to choose which church we attend)
4. Freedom of the press (to print what we want)

Could someone please explain to me why Ron Paul is NOT for separation of church and state? Will Ron Paul force a certain religion on citizens of this country?

I agree with everything Dr. Paul has stated but this one I'm a bit uncertain on. To me the definition of Separation of Church and State is that the government will not make laws forcing citizens to change religions or force to do anything of a religious nature.

What does Ron Paul believe on this?

captain
12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I just found this: http://www.usconstitution.net/jeffwall.html

Could this be what Ron Paul believes concerning the separation of church and state?

Sola_Fide
12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Ron Paul is the only candidate running who truly understands the separation of church and state.

The separation of church and state grew out of the Reformation's teaching of the "two kingdoms theology" of Martin Luther. Since only God alone is Lord of the conscience, no earthly institution can bind a man's conscience, be it church or state. Man must be completely free to believe what he will and must never be forced, because it is only God that can cause a man to see the truth. If the state uses force, it is usurping God's unique role in regenerating the hearts of men, and is therefore acting against God. Ron Paul is the only candidate who takes this Constitutional-era understanding of freedom of conscience seriously.

Ron Paul also understands the Biblical teaching that the government is a negative institution and the church is a positive institution. Ron Paul only wants the government to adjudicate disputes and protect liberties, and he understands that the church and individuals alone are responsible for charity. All the other candidates advocate for some kind of redistributive forced welfare, so they don't understand the separation of church and state.

Ron also understands that education should not be a function of government, but a function of churches and private institutions. Here again, he understands the difference between the negative stance of the State and the positive stance of the church.

On foreign policy, Ron again understands that government should not use force to make people believe things (be it freedom, religion, or anything else). Ron is against using our military to remake the cultures of alien societies. This is the proper understanding of the separation of church and state. The church should be free to evangelize and preach the gospel to all people. Our policy of intervention has destroyed the missionary effort of Christians in the middle east.

Ron Paul will not pass any purity test of Christian orthodoxy. He has some rough edges. But in this regard, he stands head and shoulders above every other candidate. He is the only one who will rigorously defend our religious liberties against attacks from the State. He is the champion of liberties for religious people.

captain
12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow--thanks for making that clear. I appreciate this---Ron Paul definitely gets my vote!!

Sola_Fide
12-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Wow--thanks for making that clear. I appreciate this---Ron Paul definitely gets my vote!!

Awesome! I definitely had to make my way from the standard "conservative Christian" position on things to a more principled position of liberty.

Here are some links that helped me:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?331628-John-Robbins-Lecture-Series-On-Christian-Free-Market-Economics&p=3784625#post3784625

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?339071-What-Does-The-Bible-Say-About-Taxes-And-Government&p=3869075#post3869075

bolil
12-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Besides, removing federal funding from schools and such also removes the lever most frequently used to silence worship in that place and others like it.