PDA

View Full Version : OT-Non Paul Related

JaylieWoW
11-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Cooking with Cancer Contest, Birmingham - AL (http://www.myfoxal.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/Detail?contentId=4865980&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=5.7.1)

My stepson has been diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare cancer. His prognosis however, is good. Though rare, this form of cancer responds well to chemo treatment.

Last week our local news station did a story about an oncology doctor who is putting together a cookbook for kids with cancer. One of the side affects of chemo treatments is that it affects the taste of foods, making them bland. His cookbook features spicy and what most would consider odd recipes, but these types of foods give cancer patients a better enjoyment of foods.

The above link is the story that aired last night. My stepson and husband were in the video.

I listened to it on my way home from work, BIG MISTAKE. I almost had to pull off the road from being blinded by tears.

Naturally, as the proud parent I am, I had to share it with all of you.

OceanMachine7
11-08-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm at work, so I can't listen to the audio, but when I was in high school, I had to do chemo for three months. I don't know if bland is the right word for how food tastes when you're getting the drugs, but I would say things just taste different. The biggest change I remember was with tomato sauce type items, they seemed to taste almost metallic. Then again, I generally prefer really spicy, flavorful food, so it probably seemed more noticable to me.