PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys!

BJR
12-19-2011, 08:11 AM
About time I got my first post in!:D I do a lot more reading than posting.

I'm reletively new to politics, first becoming informed and involved during the '08 primaries. Truth be told, I have Obama to thank for that. :D I was initially intrigued by the smooth talking, so called moderate... and, yes, even the thought of the first black presidency.:rolleyes:

Being ill-informed, I had no idea how bad he would be for the country at the time... Thankfully, I was raised to be a critical thinker, and instead of just jumping into politics and voting based on rhetoric, I started looking into things. I started with watching all the debates and speaches. I even watched the infamous moment when Chris Mathews first got that tingling running up his leg.:eek: And really noticed for the first time how our media, who was given near absolute freedom of speach to criticize and inform the masses of the governments actions, is simply a tool for either of the two major parties. What a slap in the face to the founders!:mad:

Shortly there after, I began reading the works of Thomas Paine and others to get a better, and clearer idea of what the founders intended. I read the DOI and Constitution, and to this day enjoy reading up on various things that come to mind reguarding politics. This endeavor was helped along with a friend of mine who is a Liberal. While we agree on a few things, namely complete personal freedom with exception to actions that directly hinder another's rights. Needless to say, our conversations tend to focus on economics where we are on totally opposite sides. Luckily he is one of the few that can carry a discussion without getting overly agitated and devolve into personal attacks. Through this, I came to know of Ron Paul.

The more I hear him speak, and the more I look into it all, the more the man makes sense to me. I would say I agree with RP on 95% of the issues. The idea of returning to the original intent of the Constitution and Founders is explained very well by him, and I agree 100%. Living in Alabama, where women can't purchase a vibrator, one can't gamble, and God forbid you have severe allergies and need to take Claritin-D, the topic of personal freedom versus Gov. knows best is one I face often... The 5% that I disagree with him on is the idea that we should not have strategically placed bases around the world.

Of course, like everything in government, waste runs rampant throughout the military. Stories from my dad, a retired SFC, about spending excess funds at the end of the year so that budgets won't get cut the next, would be quite funny if they weren't so absurd... Oh, yes, eventhough I think it is in our best interests to have ready to deploy forces stationed in friendly countries, I believe there are many, maybe even a majority that are no longer needed, nor strategically vital to our national security... The other Republicans refuse to even acknoweledge even the smallest cuts can be made to the military without weakening it's capabilities now or into the future.:confused:

Ultimately, I believe RP would be the best president for our country, and I refuse to vote for "the most electable". He probably won't win the primary in my state, being that it's in the bible belt, but by God he's gonna get my vote!

Well, this turned into a WOT didn't it? Sorry about that!:D

tl;dr: Hello, I am from Alabama and I support RP all the way! :p

amy31416
12-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Welcome and all that good stuff. :)

Pennsylvania
12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Welcome! Always great to see more RP support from the South :)

phill4paul
12-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Welcome 'Bama!

Carole
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Welcome to our forum. It is easy to discuss things here and everyone has some wisdom to share. So pull up a chair, relax and make yourself at home. :)

Chester Copperpot
12-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Welcome!