PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Caucus Polling System Threatened By Hackers

bobbyw24
12-19-2011, 06:20 AM
IOWA CITY, Iowa – Republican Party officials in Iowa are taking new steps to secure their vote counting systems after an anonymous threat suggested computer hackers could attempt to disrupt next month's presidential nominating caucuses.

A video uploaded to YouTube features a computer-generated voice denouncing a corrupt political system and calls on supporters to "peacefully shut down" the Jan. 3 caucuses.

The video claims to be from Anonymous, a loosely organized group of hackers who have successfully conducted past computer attacks.

Investigators aren't sure whether the video is authentic, but party officials have instructed precinct caucuses to use paper ballots as a backup system and taken other steps to protect the database and website that displays caucus results.

The party fears such a delay could disrupt the traditional influence of the Iowa caucuses. Candidates who do well tend to gain momentum in the presidential race, while those finishing at the back of the pack may drop out.

"With the eyes of the media on the state, the last thing we want to do is have a situation where there is trouble with the reporting system. We don't want that to be the story," said Wes Enos, a member of the central committee and the political director for Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann's campaign in Iowa.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/19/iowa-caucus-polling-system-threatened-by-hackers/#ixzz1gyz06jC8

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
So they're gonna blame the Ron Paul win on Hackers now? lol.

CharlesTX
12-19-2011, 09:15 AM

That's what it sounds like. LOL!

dillo
12-19-2011, 09:17 AM

yea basically, it wouldnt surprise me if the GOP hacks away a RP Iowa win

Maverick
12-19-2011, 09:20 AM

I think we found the spin. I have Fox on in the background waiting to hear if Iowa results get reported at all and I just saw a piece about the Iowa "hackers." So yes, they're gonna run with this as far as they can.

Btw, for the record they did do a short piece on Iowa standings, but they used the RCP averages that show that RP is still behind Gingrich by a point or two. They didn't mention PPP.

robertwerden
12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
If that isn't a blatant false flag preparation I don't know what is.
I am about at the end of my patience with the corrupt GOP and Media.

bluesc
12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
There are comments from Ron's Iowa chairman who is a member of the Iowa GOP state central committee in the article. He doesn't sound too concerned. We should still watch this closely though.

UtahApocalypse
12-19-2011, 10:25 AM
There are comments from Ron's Iowa chairman who is a member of the Iowa GOP state central committee in the article. He doesn't sound too concerned. We should still watch this closely though.

Nobody is concerned about any actual hacking. The concern is that proven or not this will be used to invalidate the Iowa results.

Original_Intent
12-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Either they are going to claim the caucus was hacked if RP wins OR they are adding measures to make sure they can hack it themselves.

bluesc
12-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Nobody is concerned about any actual hacking. The concern is that proven or not this will be used to invalidate the Iowa results.

I wasn't talking about actual hacking. I meant that he is on board with the whole idea of the recount. The Iowa GOP central committee has influence in these decisions, and we pretty much control it. If this was going to be used by the Iowa GOP and the media to discredit the win, don't you think noises would have been made by now?

devil21
12-19-2011, 04:01 PM
This seems pretty fishy. The article says right in it that it will disrupt the traditional influence of the Iowa caucuses. They wouldn't stoop to the level of attacking (or just shutting down) their own servers when Paul wins, would they? WOULD THEY?