PDA

View Full Version : Why Billboards?

James R
11-08-2007, 07:49 AM
What are cases in which Billboard advertising is effective? Does anyone have any data? Personally I notice billboards very rarely. I like the idea of reflective tape for the "love" text in the "RELOVEUTION" text. But other than that I can't say I'm sold on the use of a billboard.

RTsquared
11-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I equate billboards with success. You don't see just any Joe Blow business on billboards (especially around here). Getting RP on just a few billboards in an early state would be a HUGE signal that he's for real, that he has the organization to be a force not only in the primaries but also in the general election, and that he needs to be taken seriously. Moreover, you gotta admit - seeing Ron Paul's name during "rush hour" as you're stuck in traffic...it's catching on, I'm tellin' ya!

Nate K
11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
because right now that is one of our best financial opportunities. we not only have connections to cheap advertising but good ideas coming across the forums.. just one of many advertising schemes the grassroots can adopt.

James R
11-08-2007, 12:42 PM
because right now that is one of our best financial opportunities. we not only have connections to cheap advertising but good ideas coming across the forums.. just one of many advertising schemes the grassroots can adopt.

Kate, cheap does not necessarily mean more effective. The idea is to get the most actual attention for Ron Paul per dollar spent. For example, radio ads are cheapest per impression, but they from what I understand the least paid attention to because most people switch channels when the commercials come on. There must be data somewhere out there on successful and unsuccessful billboard campaigns so we know how well that kind of thing could work.

Nate K
11-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Kate, cheap does not necessarily mean more effective. The idea is to get the most actual attention for Ron Paul per dollar spent. For example, radio ads are cheapest per impression, but they from what I understand the least paid attention to because most people switch channels when the commercials come on. There must be data somewhere out there on successful and unsuccessful billboard campaigns so we know how well that kind of thing could work.

there is and that's what i'm looking into, it will be digital billboards btw and this advertising method is versatile enough to do for 1 day, 2 days, 5 days or most likely any amount of time and i'm pretty sure we don't need to notify them too much ahead of time, for instance we could get up some ads by tomorrow or in a few days if we wanted.

we're currently working on getting this scheme going the 14th-19th of December to work in conjunction with the Weekend of Liberty. this should also be brought up through meetup groups considering the use of digital billboards. the reason i wanted to make this a subforum is because it was a waste of time and energy and was cluttering the main forum trying to bump these threads and keep the ideas going.

we need adequate communication for this to work and if we can get it to work it will be great.

DealzOnWheelz
11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
How many times do you drive on an open highway and are not necesarilly hungry....

until you see that gigantic sign with the golden arches

all of the sudden you want a big mac

The reason digital is great is because your essential buying multiple billboards all in one

you can have a rotation of messeges that are directed toward particular indiviuals.

jrich4rpaul
11-09-2007, 05:35 AM
Think of the scenario:

People driving home from working thinking how much of their money will be taken out of their check by taxes.

They see a billboard with a picture of Ron Paul, and "Taxpayer's Best Friend!" beside him, with RonPaul2008.com along the bottom

People think "Wow, really?"

They go home and research

Success.

Tarzan
11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I come from an Advertising Agency background and we used billboards in a number of advertising campaigns... I've been doing this type of stuff for over 30 years. While the effectiveness of a billboard will vary depending on the type of product/service, here is the bottom line: Billboards are surprisingly effective!

It is difficult to get numbers which directly relate to billboard advertisements alone. They are often used in a mixed media campaign. So, other types of advertising are often used in conjunction with them. Key to a billboards success is its placement, message and the followup marketing.

In the case of a political campaign (such as this) they would have enormous value. Particuarly when considering the question "Who is Ron Paul". That question has been often asked and with billboards placed in the right traffic areas a large number of people can be reached repeatedly on a daily basis. What happens next is the interesting part... when we have announced products/services and used billboards as an introduction resistance to the product is greatly reduced. Put bluntly it becomes easier to talk with people about Ron Paul once they have seen his name every morning when driving to work.

With that type of repetition Ron Paul would be a more open topic and make it easier for campaigners (grassroots or otherwise) to help convert people. The billboards make the product/service more familiar and they feel they are already with it when it is introduced.

So, are billboards effective? Yes! To make them really effective the placement (location), message and followup are very important.

WARNING... the only problem I would mention is that the wrong message can lose you a large number of possible converts... the billboard should have a positive (non-revolutionary) or neutral message to keep everyone receptive to the Ron Paul message. Quite frankly even the "revolution" message would not be the best choice for the billboards message. If nothing else the "who is Ron Paul... hope for America" would be a better choice... it would leave them with a question, build name recognition and leave them receptive to the answer to that question.

For example, a fast food restaurant with recent health issues might launch a new campaign:
Bad Idea: "Where E. coli is nearly a thing of the past"
Better Idea: "Try our New Fresh & Natural Menu"
A corny example... but, you get the idea. Likewise the RP message should avoid message which allow the billboard viewer time to come up with the wrong example. For example the message "end the irs" might mean an armed revolution to some... don't let them stew on that message.

Remember... the idea of change scares the daylights out of most people... keep the message open to help move them through the process... conversion takes a little time... shock tactics could lose them forever. I think the "who is RP" message could work well.

Matt Collins
11-11-2007, 09:03 PM
See this thread:

MARKETING RON PAUL 101!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25536

Primbs
11-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Some billboards in California have people waving from them. That gets massive press attention.

Tarzan
11-12-2007, 12:47 AM
See this thread: MARKETING RON PAUL 101!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25536.

Great Stuff Matt! It takes a diverse campaign with different tools targeting different groups. We need to always consider how to best address the "Needs, Wants and Desires" of our target market... converts for RP.

No one "thing" is the answer... neither is presenting the message in only one method. We need to use a variety tools and approaches to achieve the goal.

good luck to us all

Win_Witka
11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I equate billboards with success. You don't see just any Joe Blow business on billboards (especially around here). Getting RP on just a few billboards in an early state would be a HUGE signal that he's for real, that he has the organization to be a force not only in the primaries but also in the general election, and that he needs to be taken seriously. Moreover, you gotta admit - seeing Ron Paul's name during "rush hour" as you're stuck in traffic...it's catching on, I'm tellin' ya!

I agree with you on the idea of reading the billboards during rush hour. It's like not really watching a tv commercial and they intentionally get our attention when we are not aware of it. Well a billboard works the same way. One with a large pic of RP with an eye catching color and a very brief slogan with his website.;)

Primbs
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Here are some innovative billboard campaigns.

God Quotes
http://www.godspeaks.com/AboutTheBillboards.asp

Vietnam Protest
http://humanrights4vn.org/?p=12

Anti Abortion
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23897

Realtor
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44267

Nicketas
11-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Tarzan
11-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Just "getting the name out" isn't enough. We've already done that.

I have to TOTALLY disagree with you here. Ron Paul is still largely unknown... even his name. We still need to make a big effort to make his name and position better known. Billboards can be an important component of this effort and reach a large audience quickly.

I agree that messages like "revolution" should not be used on any billboards. A generic message, like the one the campaign is currently using (Hope for America), should be the focus of a Billboard. I also agree with some of your other points... that the message must be targeted and address specific "needs, wants & desires". This type of message cannot be addressed on a billboard and needs to be provided in more extensive forms. Each medium has its own particular uses and we need to present the message using mixed methods.

A billboard only allows time for a quick message. If anything have the name "Ron Paul" and a message like "for president" and "Hope for America" with a website... that's about all the time you get. This way you can refer them to additional information. Another good combination would be the question "Who if Ron Paul?" with the answer "Hope for America!". And, we need to be sure to let people know he is running for president.

As stated in an earlier post billboards are not the be all, end all. BUT, they can be an important part of a campaign and will help enormously with name recognition. We HAVE NOT made enough headway in "getting the name out" and should not fool ourselves in this regard. There is still much to be done in reaching and converting voters. Having the "best internet effort in history" won't matter if we lose. We need to win converts and votes in the "real world".

I agree that budget consideration must be taken into account. BUT, if a grassroots has the capability, a well placed billboard can continue to work when RP supports are doing other things... like driving to work themselves. Billboard rental prices will vary widely for a number of reasons. Don't waste money on a poorly designed or placed billboard. Consider what a few well placed, well designed billboards could accomplish in high traffic areas around a major population center. Consider other efforts like Yard Signs, T-Shirts, Vehicle Signs, Airport Ads, Mall Ads, Transit Ads (buses) and other means which spread the word and keep working throughout the day.

I am not trying to start a posting war... but billboards can be VERY effective when used correctly. I have been doing this for over 30 years and know from experience. Billboards should be seriously considered by all Ron Paul supporters and groups. To help in this type of effort I will be creating some billboard artwork (and other artwork for different materials) and will post a link when I have them ready in the next few days. I have already created some free web banners for anyone who wishes to use them on their business or personal site. Here's the link: Ron Paul Web Banners (http://quantumhost.net/ronpaulbanners.asp)

If anyone has a specific idea or need for graphic work please PM me and I will do what I can to assist.

Matt Collins
11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
I have to TOTALLY disagree with you here. Ron Paul is still largely unknown... even his name. We still need to make a big effort to make his name and position better known. Billboards can be an important component of this effort and reach a large audience quickly.
Exactly.

We are still in the name recognition phase!

TanahC
11-14-2007, 09:30 PM
How about in addition to the money bomb/s in the process and banners/billboards-EVERY single Ron Paul supporter will write on their vehicle back windowshield: "Save The Constitution Vote: Ron Paul" or "Ron Paul for President-Everybody Wins!"; "Google Ron Paul" or his website.....

Can you imagine the number of people that would be exposed to his name alone just driving around doing errands? Hundreds! Since on every stop you can at least see 2 cars ahead to your left and right.
When I took my daughter to school-round trip I counted 1/50 had a political bumpersticker-mine!
I also counted standing/waiting behind about 16 cars while the traffic light changed.
I have both of those messages on both of our cars and in one I also had: "Just consider Ron Paul" and at starbucks a democratic person talked to my husband and I for 15 minutes and had a lot of questions. He said he was going to consider him after seeing the sign in our car.
He said he heard on TV that he didn't have a chance that's why he didn't thought much about him.
Also another lady told me "I will consider him" and gave me her business card and asked me if I knew how she could get involved in our meet-up group.
I have mentioned this to other people and nobody has tought much of doing this which I am floored because it is so easy to do and inexpensive. We have to be bold.

Can you pass this idea to the teaparty people or someone who can write an email with the instructions of when it can start? Who has access to the email of some/most self-proclaimed Ron Paul supporters? Since the media is still minimizing his success(and brainwashing people that he has a "super-long shot") this is the only way we can be heard-since even they say the internet activity is "just a buzz".
If we write Ron Paul for Prez. in our cars -it is real people from all walks of life who think he absolutely has a shot. It can start on the 21-22nd of November when everybody is traveling...state to state! Let's be creative-or make a you tube video with the goal..."Invitation TO ALL RON PAUL SUPPORTERS: On Nov 21st join us by writing on your car with big letters using white shoe polish (or color of choice) and write one of the following suggestions:
"Ron Paul Only Hope for America"; "save The Constitution-Ron Paul for Prez"; etc.
Let's be creative-!
We can't wait anymore-there are thousands of people and millions who have NEVER heard his name...
I feel this would/could get people's and the media's attention. Massive numbers will improve Ron Paul's name exposure. I mentioned this to someone and they said well is cheesy to use white shoe polish in your car-window etc. I personally think it is very effective-experience!! and inexpensive especially for those of us that in the meantime are "financially recharging" for Dec 16th.
Members with seniority and weight on this forum-what do you think?
Thanks!
Tanah Collins :)
Cedar Park, TX