PDA

View Full Version : Rally in Des Moines, Iowa Sat 10th Nov

BrianH
11-08-2007, 07:00 AM
There's an exciting day coming up in Des Moines this Saturday with most of the Democratic Presidential Candidates attending a full day of activities. So the media will be there in droves. BUT the extraordinary thing is the Iowa Democratic Party has so far chosen not to invite the two anti-war candidates Dennis Kucinich and Senator Mike Gravel for their gala dinner and debate on Saturday evening.

There is certain to be large numbers of protestors of this decision outside the event at (appropriately enough) the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium. Especially as the candidates enter the building between 5 and 7 pm. This is a media opportunity for us -- to wave Ron Paul signs and get some national media attention for the TV cameras. Our message is simply to have Ron Paul's name in front of the TV cameras whenever the opportunity presents itself. But we also have the 95th Division's Soldier of the Year for 2006 with us to campaign for Ron Paul. Since receiving his award he became disillusioned with the war in Iraq because it was not declared by Congress as required by the Constitution. Not long after receiving the award he was discharged from the army because of his views and he would like to speak to the media there and do all he can to promote Ron Paul's message of a the great need to follow the constitution. If any of you would like to speak for your candidate to the media there, or simply be there to hold signs this is very vital.

There is also an opportunity to network amongst the attendees at the Farmers Union summit - from 10am to 5pm. I understand there will be a Ron Paul booth there and we can support by talking to attendees and distributing literature.

Getting Ron Paul more attention in the media is so vitally important so your support for this would be much appreciated.

So please let me know by e-mail at ronpaulrocks@mac.com if you'd like to attend either or both of these events. More details below.

Brian

Dr. Brian Horsfield
Organizer, Ron Paul MeetUp Group, Fairfield Iowa
E-mail: ronpaulrocks@mac.com
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/267
http://www.myspace.com/ronpaul_liberty

AN INVITATION
http://www.progressiveconvergence.com/Press-release-Iowa-open-speak.htm
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10TH ALL DAY IN DES MOINES

EVENT #1

IOWA FARMER'S UNION PRESIDENTIAL SUMMIT

WHO : Sustainable, organic agriculture farmers' union and presidential candidates

WHAT: A full day of confirmed speakers: Hillary Clinton, Chris Dodd, John Edwards, Barack Obama, and more and sit down lunch.

WHERE: Downtown Marriott Hotel, 700 Grand Avenue, DesMoines

WHEN: This Saturday, Nov. 10th. 10:00-5:00 ,
*Natural pork lunch and vegetables provided by Neiman Ranch and farmer members. Indoor Swimming Pool. Tickets $20.00 at the door.

Ron Paul; Dennis Kucinich; Iowa Health Freedom Coalition; Radish Magazine and Buy Fresh Buy local welcome all supporters to come and be seen, heard and ask questions of the candidates.

FOLLOWED BY
EVENT #2

Iowa "Open Speak" Vigil following and leaving from the Iowa Farmer's Union Presidential Summit , Marriott Hotel

WHO: Democratic voters, Kucinich and Gravel supporters, Republicans, Independents

WHAT: An organized vigil against censorship of nationally recognized candidates

WHERE: Veterans Memorial Auditorium, main entrance (5 minutes from the Marriott)

WHEN: Saturday evening, November 10th. Gathering at 5:00-7:00 Main entrance

*Note: Those who are attending the first event will gather at the Marriott and walk in groups to the Veterans Memorial Auditorium, main entrance.

Iowa Democratic Party censors candidates: On Saturday, November 10, the National Coalition of Organized Women (NCOW) joins interested Iowans at a rally in front of the main entrance of the Veterans Auditorium in Des Moines. This 5:00-7:00PM vigil precedes the Jackson Jefferson fundraiser dinner featuring six presidential candidates Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Edwards, Chris Dodd, Bill Richardson Joe Biden, The party has yet to invite Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel, a former Alaska governor and Senator Mike Gravel.
Why did the Iowa Democratic Party adopt a criterion that excludes these nationally recognized presidential candidates? Rep. Kucinich and Gravel support the policy changes on the Iraq war and health care that Iowa Democrats specifically envisioned in the November 2006 Democratic election sweep.
Eileen Dannemann, the acting director of NCOW says, "These are the voices of American grassroots, at its feisty best, struggling to be heard yet deliberately pre-empted by those Iowan leaders who are supposed to represent Democracy. It is uncharacteristic of Iowa , the education state that encourages intellectual debate and academic freedom to tolerate this kind of censorship. Iowa 's heart and hospitality, its open door, has made Iowa the political lightening rod of the nation"
Join the rally to find out why the Iowa Democratic leadership would "close the barn doors before the dance starts!"

--
Regards,

Eileen Dannemann
former director, National Coalition of Organized Women (NCOW)
www.ProgressiveConvergence.com
917 804-0786

margomaps
11-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Uh...dude, uh...Saturday's already the 10th. (not the 11th)

Just slide the rent under my door.

($0.69 bonus points to whoever gets the reference first)

BrianH
11-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Uh...dude, uh...Saturday's already the 10th. (not the 11th)

Just slide the rent under my door.

($0.69 bonus points to whoever gets the reference first)

Yeah I know, I saw it too late, titles are not editable here unfortunately! But I put a correction at the top of the first post.

Zydeco
11-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Yeah I know, I saw it too late, titles are not editable here unfortunately! But I put a correction at the top of the first post.

Yes they are, click edit and then advanced

squirrelbrewer
11-08-2007, 09:15 AM
The Dude would most definitely dig the good Dr !!

Brian Bailey
11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Great plan, Brian.

Badger Paul
11-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Go get 'em guys! Show that Iowa is anti-war.

BrianH
11-08-2007, 10:31 AM
We've just heard 5 from Wapello County going, and 5 from Jefferson County going, going to park along the route between the Marriott and the Vets Building with Ron Paul signs in the car windows and make sure we get maximum opportunity to get Ron Pauls name before the media. And carry signs outside the Vets Memorial Auditorium at 5pm

fletcher
11-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a bad idea to me. We're trying to win the Republican nomination, not the Democratic nomination. Associating with the Democrats solidifies the belief of many people that Dr. Paul is liberal. If the first time I saw his name was at a Democratic rally I wouldn't give him a second thought. Passing out slimjims to the Democrats there would be good, but holding up signs would be bad.

ARealConservative
11-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Sounds like a bad idea to me. We're trying to win the Republican nomination, not the Democratic nomination. Associating with the Democrats solidifies the belief of many people that Dr. Paul is liberal. If the first time I saw his name was at a Democratic rally I wouldn't give him a second thought. Passing out slimjims to the Democrats there would be good, but holding up signs would be bad.

absurd

BrianH
11-08-2007, 11:34 AM
absurd

Which view is absurd?

The Ron Paul Campaign will have a booth a the Iowa Farmers Union conference immediately prior to this to which all the Democratic Candidates have been invited. I am not sure if Republican candidates were invited, but none are speaking. I talked with the Iowa RP campaign office and they're very much hoping many Ron Paul supporters will come to the convention starting at 10 am at the Marriott to support what they are doing at the booth and get the word out to the attendees there. And after walk to the Vets Building for the Free Speech Vigil

The free speech vigil outside the Democrats Convention will include many different interest groups. Ron Paul supporters will be just one. The Anti-War theme is sure to be a stong component.

terlinguatx
11-08-2007, 11:47 AM

BrianH
11-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Wow, this seems like a great opportunity to get some democrats over to our side because they are disaffected wtih the broken ant-war promises of their leaders.

Exactly. Surely there are lots of Democrats who want to hear stronger commitments to end the war. Obama was in our town this morning and I went. His message on the war is that he would end it in his adminstration with a slow withdrawal over 16 months. A detailed speech on this he says is on his website. A little stronger than Hillary's "nothings off the table" approach, but still a pretty luke warm commitment I think when the death toll is so high. Ron Pauls message of "just come home" should be very appealing to a lot of Democrats.

BrianH
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Wow, this seems like a great opportunity to get some democrats over to our side because they are disaffected wtih the broken ant-war promises of their leaders.

Last week at our opening of our new Ron Paul Office on the Town Square the Chairman of a Democrat Presidential campaign came over and excitedly congratulated us and said he'd be switching to Republican if Ron Paul wins the GOP nomination because there is NO WAY he would support Hillary! Pretty amazing. So they is definitely lots of potential among Democrats!

malibu
11-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Sounds like a bad idea to me. . . .holding up signs would be bad.

I'll respectfully disagree with this point -

In Philadelphia, there was a presence behind the MSNBC set at the last Dem debate coverage and I was very glad to see those RP friends out there in Philly with the big signs! It's all good!

runderwo
11-09-2007, 12:07 PM

http://data.tumblr.com/17983203_500.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/FvckStick/Untitled-2.jpg

Bad ideas, all?

Badger Paul
11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Democrats in Iowa can switch their party registration to the GOP right up to caucus day so the more we can get on our side the better.

me3
11-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Bump!

BrianH
11-09-2007, 03:33 PM
http://data.tumblr.com/17983203_500.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/FvckStick/Untitled-2.jpg

Bad ideas, all?

THANKS SO MUCH for these pics. I've posted to all supporters who've said they will attend. But even if our numbers are small we need to focus on getting the right size sign in just the right spot to make it interesting. My guess is the cameraman thought the hand made cardboard sign made an interesting contrast to the other signs so he aimed his camera there. We need original ideas and thinking to capture the attention of the TV cameras! So please folks we are small in numbers on this -most are going sign waving at a big game - but with the right image we can make a huge impact here nationwide.

BrianH
11-12-2007, 08:13 AM
So far we've earned at least a footnote in one report, the Washington Times:
http://video1.washingtontimes.com/bellantoni/2007/11/scenes_from_the_jj_dinner_1.html

And somehow, even Ron Paul had a presence at the Democratic dinner. I overheard this Obama supporter tell a Paul fan, "I'm for Obama, but I really like and respect Ron Paul," prompting the Paul-ite to say, "Me too."

—Christina Bellantoni, national political reporter, The Washington TimesWe were

And at least one YouTube so far:
A group of Ron Paul supporters converge on the Iowa Democratic Party Jefferson Jackson Dinner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8FEd_nM2zg