PDA

View Full Version : Running for office... Maybe?

Icymudpuppy
12-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Hello RPFs.

I have for a long time been very vocal about not wanting to personally get into politics. However, I'm not seeing a lot of good choices in my area of liberty minded folks to vote for. Thus, I have been somewhat disenfranchised.

My current State Representative is the minority leader of the State House and thus would be a hard target, but certainly deserving of scrutiny. He hasn't represented his constituency at all the last several years, but because he's the most powerful house republican, he keeps getting full republican support state wide. His name is Richard Debolt.

My State Senator is actually a good guy, and I'd like to keep him in. He doesn't bother much with National politics, but he is very conscious of his responsibility to his local constituency, and represents us well at the state senate.

My State Rep is Jaime Herrera-Beutler. She is probably the weakest in the line up. She is a junior national rep, after having spent time as a state rep. She ran on being a constitution defender, but recently voted for the NDAA. As I'm a veteran, I can hammer her on that better than any other candidate I've seen run for the position. She does have the establishment backing because she toes the line, but I don't think she's been there long enough to be an insider. Just one of those followers who does as she's told. The biggest question is, would I have a chance? Money is the biggest question. I would need a war chest of about $2 million to match her, and that may be necessary because the Ron Paul grassroots are weak in this area.

Consider this an exploratory... Is it worth running? An RP supporter David Hedrick ran in 2010 for the seat, but with little money, and less finesse, he didn't get much traction. No offense to the guy, but he had a harder time putting together cogent statements than Ron. In 2008, RP supporter Michael Delavar ran and came in second place against longtime Incumbent Brian Baird. I actually think Michael should run again, or Maybe his wife Katja, especially since Katja is the most well know RP campaign representative in the State.

I think I could get both Katja's and Michael's support if I asked them, but considering it would mean neglecting my business, I would need to be 100% sure it wasn't going to be a waste of effort. I have until may 18th to register for the ballot, but most campaigns begin before that.

ShaneEnochs
12-17-2011, 07:20 PM
What do you want to change? What's your platform?

Icymudpuppy
12-17-2011, 07:23 PM
At the state level, I would like to promote some 10th amendment proposals. Much like Glenn Bradley has done in SC.

At the National Level, I would be a strict constitutionalist. Like Ron or Justin. I would anticipate posting a lot of "no" votes.

I'd be happy to discuss specific issues in direct response to questions.

kill the banks
12-17-2011, 07:24 PM
well I hope you can resolve a few things here

realtonygoodwin
12-17-2011, 07:25 PM
What's your Bio? Experience, education, etc...

ShaneEnochs
12-17-2011, 07:29 PM
I believe the 10th amendment is critical, and states need to do more on that front. It's a powerful platform, but many people don't understand why.

Icymudpuppy
12-17-2011, 07:30 PM
What's your Bio? Experience, education, etc...

Locally born and raised. Grew up on local family farm.

Graduate of in state rural university (Washington State)

Army Veteran 2000-2010 service in Iraq, and in state support for operations in Afghanistan. Rank of Captain.

Business owner (pest control) 2005-present. Nuisance Wildlife. 7 employees.

I am a very good presenter, and do well speaking to groups. I regularly promote my business by giving presentations to large groups of realtors, property managers, homeowners, and other home service professionals. I am worse when speaking one-on-one.

I was on debate team in High school.

I am well known in my local community because of my involvement with the natural living community. Particularly my Apple Cider making activity. I have been given 5 full page stories by my local paper in the last 3 years.

12-17-2011, 07:37 PM
IMO you're qualified to run for local office. With that background you'd do fine.

tbone717
12-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Looks good to me, a very impressive resume. Do you have a nice little network of people locally that can work with you on the campaign. Maybe 25 people or so that are willing to do some leg work for you?

Revolution9
12-17-2011, 07:48 PM
We need pest control experts in Congress. Have you devised a trap for compressional reprehensative type pests?

Seriously. Run. It will build character. Look at where Ron is on a whim that he just had to shoot his mouth off in public about going off the gold standard. He never thought he would get anywhere.

Rev9

Forty Twice
12-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Tom DeLay was a pest control expert. He was Republican House Majority Leader for a couple of years, got controlled for being a pest, last seen Dancing with the Stars.

So, it's been done before. Good luck and please do better than Tom DeLay.

realtonygoodwin
12-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Good resume. I think any of those offices would be fairly difficult to win. Is there something smaller you could start with? Maybe city council or something? I think money will be the biggest hinderance. If you think you could raise the funds, your Congressional Rep seems like the best target. How much did she spend to get elected?

timreichstein
12-17-2011, 08:11 PM
I grew up near Battle Ground, and have a bunch of contacts in the Clark County area. If you do decide to run, let me know and I will forward your info to all of my friends and relatives in the area.

Icymudpuppy
12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
I grew up near Battle Ground, and have a bunch of contacts in the Clark County area. If you do decide to run, let me know and I will forward your info to all of my friends and relatives in the area.

On that note, I have added a poll to this thread. Just how far would my support go?

Keith and stuff
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I recommend running for a very local office or seeking an appointment to a committee to increase your resume. Wait until one of those folks moves on or retires. Maybe if you become friends with them now, they will endorse you when they move on.

Crotale
12-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Well, I'd support you on twitter and online.....for what that's worth. :D

gerryb
12-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Be sure to get some political training;

http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/training/

The Future Candidate, and Campaign Management classes are both excellent

Edit: Make sure to take the 1 week course. I see there is a 1 day course in WA -- go to that to get your feet wet for the 1 week course =)

Icymudpuppy
12-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Be sure to get some political training;

http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/training/

The Future Candidate, and Campaign Management classes are both excellent

Edit: Make sure to take the 1 week course. I see there is a 1 day course in WA -- go to that to get your feet wet for the 1 week course =)

I took the 1 day course at the 2008 WA state Republican Convention.

Icymudpuppy
12-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I recommend running for a very local office or seeking an appointment to a committee to increase your resume. Wait until one of those folks moves on or retires. Maybe if you become friends with them now, they will endorse you when they move on.

I have no interest in being county sheriff, county commissioner, Treasurer, Auditor, or assessor. Also, my county has a very entrenched good ol' boy club, and I'll be waiting longer to get one of those seats than for a state or national rep. We have had the same Auditor, Assessor, and Treasurer for the last 45 years. I'll have to wait for one of them to die. I've done Law Enforcement, I will never be a LEO again. My Dad ran for Commissioner in '96. From that, I learned that running for commissioner in this county requires some pretty silly nonsense like slipping campaign money under the table.

Icymudpuppy
12-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Well, I'd support you on twitter and online.....for what that's worth. :D

Not much. Another thing I learned from my Dad's campaign, and from Schiff's Campaign is that people can talk all they want to, but if they aren't willing to put their money or their physical effort where their mouth is, their support is not worth much in a political campaign.

In any case, the lukewarm response I've gotten here on RPFs where I was sure I'd find some real support quickly, means that I will not be wasting my time. I'll just hope and pray that someone liberty minded but more charismatic than myself tries for office.

Thanks for saving me a lot of trouble.

Brian4Liberty
12-24-2011, 01:25 PM
You might want to try a shoe-string budget campaign. Heck, in my Congressional District, the GOP candidates spend nothing. You just get your name on the ballot, do as many speaking engagements as possible, and put out signs. I'd say go for it!

(First time I saw this thread, most people probably haven't read it).

Icymudpuppy
12-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Even a shoestring campaign needs $10000 worth of printing done. If you can't get that much worth of pledges, its not worth trying.

I didn't really want to run anyway. The company I'd have to keep would make me feel too dirty. I don't have RP's composure. I just wish a rp supporter in my district could get some traction.

Icymudpuppy
02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Okay folks.

I'm running for school board.

I am running to help our local public schools stay competitive and relevant in the burgeoning push for charter schools and vouchers which barely failed a voter's initiative last year.

I am 5th generation in this public school district, and believe it is one of the best public schools in the state. In just my graduating year, 1995, of only 147 graduated, we have two Harvard professors (one a theologian), 3 professional athletes, an internationally renowned opera star, about 3 dozen self employed business people, at least twice that many who are teachers of some kind, and many other productive members of society.

I want to keep our local public schools the best they can be at competitive costs.

I know many of the teachers, and my neighbor is also on the board.

I will be soon opening a chip-in for donations to start a campaign.
Fundraising goal to reach the ~20,000 people in the school district with mail distribution and phone calls. $20,000

compromise
02-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Good luck! :)

KCIndy
02-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Okay folks.

I'm running for school board.....

......I will be soon opening a chip-in for donations to start a campaign.
Fundraising goal to reach the ~20,000 people in the school district with mail distribution and phone calls. $20,000

1.) Wow! How did I miss this?? We need to keep this bumped so everyone can see it.

2.) Of course I'll kick in some support.

3.) Bad news - The "Chip-In" web site and service have been discontinued:

February 4, 2013
This is to notify all users of Chipin.com website ("Website") that ChipIn Inc. has been merged with InMobi Technologies Pvt. Ltd (collectively referred to as "Company"). We further wish to notify that InMobi has decided to discontinue the Website and all services thereunder on March 7, 2013 ("End Date").

4.) Anyone know of a good alternative to Chip-in??

mz10
02-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Okay folks.

I'm running for school board.

I am running to help our local public schools stay competitive and relevant in the burgeoning push for charter schools and vouchers which barely failed a voter's initiative last year.

I am 5th generation in this public school district, and believe it is one of the best public schools in the state. In just my graduating year, 1995, of only 147 graduated, we have two Harvard professors (one a theologian), 3 professional athletes, an internationally renowned opera star, about 3 dozen self employed business people, at least twice that many who are teachers of some kind, and many other productive members of society.

I want to keep our local public schools the best they can be at competitive costs.

I know many of the teachers, and my neighbor is also on the board.

I will be soon opening a chip-in for donations to start a campaign.

Wow, $20,000 for a school board race? I'd advise you not to budget for that much, you probably won't get it. As someone currently running for school board myself, I find it very difficult to convince people outside my community to care about my race. Here's a few tips:

1) Don't worry about people who don't vote. Get the list of voters from the last 3 elections from the town hall, and limit yourself to those people. There may be a few exceptions, but don't expect that you can turn apathetic people into active participants. There are very few politicians who can do that (Ron Paul being one).

2) TARGET, TARGET, TARGET! Targeting specific groups of voters may seem like pandering, but it's how you win elections. Tailor your message to appeal to different demographics. If you are talking to an older person, talk about lowering taxes. If you are talking to a parent, talk about holding the schools to a higher standard. Make sure your messaging is very precise.

3) Data is critically important. Know which voters are on your side, which ones are against you, and which ones are swing voters. In a school board race, most will be swing voters, since it is not high-profile. When you knock on doors or make phone calls, mark down whether you think that person will support you and hang on to that information, so that you can mobilize them on election day.

4) Door-to-door is the gold standard of campaigning. There is no more effective way to reach voters, period. It's not an easy thing to do, ringing the doorbell of a complete stranger, but it's how you win elections. Door-knock as often as you can, try to hit about 200 doors a week. If the person is not home, leave them a pushcard with a hand-written note saying "Sorry I missed you!" After you go through your campaign spiel, ask if you can count on their vote.

If you have campaigned before you probably already know a lot of this. It's worth repeating anyway. This is how us liberty folks are going to win, by out-campaigning the other guys. Plain and simple.

mz10
02-16-2013, 10:44 PM
And as a shameless plug for my own campaign, if anyone is interested in donating, here is my website:

http://www.mezzinaschoolcommittee.org

Icymudpuppy
02-16-2013, 11:10 PM
We have high turnout in WA since there are no polling stations. Everybody is absentee ballot. You can mail it, drop it at any ballot box station, or deliver it to the county auditors office

mz10
02-16-2013, 11:18 PM
We have high turnout in WA since there are no polling stations. Everybody is absentee ballot. You can mail it, drop it at any ballot box station, or deliver it to the county auditors office

High turnout makes door-to-door that much more important, since you can't just rely on getting your people out to the polls. You're gonna want to get your name ID up as much as possible.

Also, since apparently Chip-In is gone, use Piryx for donations. They have no upfront cost, they just take a small percent out of each donation.

Good luck! Glad to see we have liberty candidates across the country coming up through the system.

GunnyFreedom
02-17-2013, 12:35 AM
mz10 is correct. the most important thing you can possibly do is targeting. Your State Board of Elections almost certainly has voter data available at a minimum cost or free.

And it's NORTH Carolina. ;) we have a lot further to go in NC than in SC right now. SC at least was already heading in the right direction. When I got into NC I was 1 vs 149.

MrGoose
02-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Good luck. I'm right next to you in the 4th district. I would have suggested congress but oh well :p

I think our state is heading in the right direction anyway, plus you like your rep (at the state level) so that would be kind of a waste.

jcannon98188
02-17-2013, 12:52 PM
I just moved out of 3rd district a few months ago, but I will def. drive down to support you. Run!