PDA

View Full Version : Question on requirments for becoming a delegate

Drex
12-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Only 17 years old, but will be 18 when GE rolls around. I was wondering if you have to be a certain age to become a delegate? Or is the only requirement being a registered republican? Thanks.

sailingaway
12-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the forum! I think if you are old enough to vote that is all you need, but I will leave someone else to answer. There are some here who have been looking into that.

kusok
12-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I too want to be a delegate. But I'm so lost when i read the thousands of words on that website about becoming delegate for Ron Paul. Maybe it's not for me :( I got no political or elections experience. But if there isn't enough of us in NY I will volunteer, or at least spread the word on large forums.

Dang
12-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Well I did this back in 08. The first step is to become a precinct captain. When it's time to caucus you want to make sure your people show up and vote for you as well as other Ron Paul delegates. Then from there the delegates go on to a state convention to vote for delegates to represent Ron Paul.
This was the process in Nevada.

eduardo89
12-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Only 17 years old, but will be 18 when GE rolls around. I was wondering if you have to be a certain age to become a delegate? Or is the only requirement being a registered republican? Thanks.

Check this thread out if you're in Nebraska http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?324446-Nebraska-s-Modified-Primary-Caucus-Process-and-How-to-Become-a-Delegate

How to Become a Delegate to the County Convention

1. You must be a registered Republican.

2. Submit a form to your local Election Commissioner or County Clerk to be placed as a candidate for delegate to the County Convention on the May 15 primary ballot. The form must be notarized and received on or before March 1, 2012. If you would like the form, PM me. I don't know how to turn the pdf into a link for people to download.

3. Win the election to move on as a delegate to the County Convention.

4. If you miss the deadline to file as a delegate or do not win the election, still show up at the County Convention. Registered Republicans at the County Convention will be selected to fill any vacant delegate positions. There will be many vacant positions.

How to Become a Delegate to the State Convention

1. You must be a delegate to the County Convention.

2. You must be nominated from the floor of the County Convention.

3. Win the election to move on as a delegate to the State Convention.

How to Become a Delegate to the National Convention

1. File for election in person or by mailing a notice of intent to the Nebraska Republican Headquarters postmarked no later than May 29, 2012. I do not know yet where to get the form to file for election.

2. In order to qualify as a candidate for delegate to the National Convention, you must be a delegate or alternate to the State Convention.

Drex
12-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Bump.

surf
12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
follow the Nebraska comment above. you'll have to do a little legwork it looks like, but the important thing to do is to be in contact with fellow Nebraskans, the more local the better. they will either help guide you in the process or point you in the right direction - i.e. give you names and directions of whom to vote for during further conventions.

and while you're in Nebraska how about working on an endorsement from Tom Osborne

Tenbobnote
12-18-2011, 11:52 AM
yes get in contact with local ron paul leaders. For me, in my state, the most important thing right now is to get in a good relationship with our GOP precinct leader. Which means going to precinct meetings, volunteering, etc.

Its 18 at the time of the general election for my state.

squirekyle
12-18-2011, 11:52 AM
You usually HAVE to be registered to vote (18) to be a delegate and get sign. from registered voters. State laws may vary though.

tsai3904
12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
The only place you will get a definitive answer is from your local County Election Commissioner. Call them on Monday and ask.