PDA

View Full Version : NC-Grandmother fights to keep her property from forfeiture squad.

Anti Federalist
12-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Grandmother fights to keep her property

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/12/16/1713803/grandmother-fights-to-keep-her.html

HOLLY SPRINGS -- When Gaybbrell Shereise Cofield pleaded guilty last year to selling crack cocaine, he agreed to let the government take his grandmother's home as well as property that has been in the family for generations.

But Ernestine Ward Cofield says her grandson was in no position to forfeit her property to the government and is fighting the move in court. Cofield says that until three federal marshals turned up on her front porch in August, she had no idea that she was the target of a federal law that allows the government to seize the property and assets of drug dealers.

"I just don't understand why they want to take my property. I'm 72 years old. I never sold drugs," she said. "I really don't want them to have my home. I need my home."

amy31416
12-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Wake County property records indicate that Cofield's homes and lot on Blalock Street that the government wants to take have a tax value of $107,604. But Arthur L. "Pete" Utley Jr., a member of Holly Spring's planning board, described the corner lot between the town's new post office and a business park as "prime real estate."

"The property value will probably skyrocket if they rezone it," Utley said.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/12/16/1713803/grandmother-fights-to-keep-her.html#ixzz1gp1iDDsV

Jackasses. These people need a swift kick in the ass.

Pericles
12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Jackasses. These people need a swift kick in the ass.

Some seem to think that our society is too violent. I'd say this situation illustrates that our society needs more highly targeted violence to weed out corruption and set a proper example for the conduct of public officials.

amy31416
12-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Some seem to think that our society is too violent. I'd say this situation illustrates that our society needs more highly targeted violence to weed out corruption and set a proper example for the conduct of public officials.

The government should fear us, or they will run roughshod over us like they're doing to this lady.

Seraphim
12-17-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree. The State systematically creates and breeds subtle but widespread violence.

A free market fosters peace and violent situations come and go in a swift, efficient and ISOLATED manner. Isolated being the key.

acptulsa
12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
God bless the grandmothers, because they went to school back when they taught students what the Constitution says. And God pity the fools who came along since.