PDA

View Full Version : One less "law and order" Republican

Anti Federalist
12-17-2011, 01:17 PM
In fairness, I don't know that he was a "lock 'em up and throw away the key" kind of fellow before.

Regardless, I'm sure he is not, now.

GOP figure arrested, fingerprinted over expired tags

http://www.startribune.com/local/135736388.html

In what an official for the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport is blaming on a state clerical error, a candidate to head Minnesota's Republican Party was arrested this week outside baggage claim, then fingerprinted and photographed -- for expired vehicle tabs.

Brandon Sawalich, an executive with Starkey Hearing Technologies who a day later withdrew from the party race, said that airport police wanted to handcuff him Thursday afternoon on the gross-misdemeanor allegation but said they would reconsider "if I would cooperate."

"I was stunned," said Sawalich, 36, who said his arrest came as he was being met by a Starkey assistant in his four-wheel-drive pickup truck, which he had just taken out of storage only to have police tow it to an impound lot.

On Friday, Sawalich dropped out of the race to head Minnesota Republicans, saying in an e-mail to activists that the party "cannot afford distractions for the uphill battle our party has in store."

Recounting his arrest, Sawalich said that "police were there [at one of the doors outside Terminal 1 baggage claim] waiting for me with one of my assistants" upon his return from a business trip to Portland, Ore. "They read me my rights. I apologized [for the expired tabs] and took full responsibility."

On Friday morning, airport police at first declined to explain why this offense, "intent to escape tax," warranted booking Sawalich. By midday, the chief spokesman for the Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC) said that Sawalich should not have been accused of a gross misdemeanor, blaming the mixup on a clerical error by the state's Driver and Vehicle Services.

"We do not believe he had any such intent," said MAC spokesman Patrick Hogan. "Mr. Sawalich will receive a citation for failure to have current registration for his vehicle, which is a petty misdemeanor."

Hogan said that police were working on inaccurate information from the state that the pickup's tabs had been expired since June 2010, leading to a suspicion of intent.

They later determined that the tabs expired in June 2011, which reflects "a simple oversight" by Sawalich, Hogan said.

Sawalich, who had been competing with former state Rep. Mike Osskopp to succeed Tony Sutton as head of the Minnesota's Republican Party, said he was unaware of any curbside commotion his arrest may have caused. "I was not noticing, because I was in disbelief," he said.

Hogan said that airport officials will call Sawalich to explain the mixup, but that police have no need to apologize. "The officers acted in good faith," Hogan said.

The pickup was first noticed as having expired tabs as it circled near the terminal, according to airport police arrest records.

During his arrest, Sawalich had his wife scramble to a Driver and Vehicle Services office, where she brought the pickup's registration up to date.

Sawalich said the matter was cleared up within an hour, and he was released on his own recognizance. But it cost him $138 to get his vehicle out of an impound lot in Eagan and another $60 or so to pay for a cab ride to his Eden Prairie home.

Also Friday, the Associated Press reported that in 2003, Sawalich and a subordinate settled a civil case claiming sexual harassment. Court records from the case, filed in 2001, show that Sawalich denied a woman's claims that he made inappropriate comments and offered career advancement in exchange for sex. The terms of the settlement have not been released.

Sawalich did not return Associated Press and Star Tribune calls made later Friday seeking comment on his exit from the contest for Republican leadership.

phill4paul
12-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Over expired tags? As in license plates? What is a 'tabs?' This is nuts. Hopefully, it will cause him to rethink big government.

Pericles
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
When I violate some petty rule, regulation or law, it is an honest mistake. You, on the other hand, are a criminal.

phill4paul
12-17-2011, 01:30 PM
When I violate some petty rule, regulation or law, it is an honest mistake. You, on the other hand, are a criminal.

You got that right!

Anti Federalist
12-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Over expired tags? As in license plates? What is a 'tabs?' This is nuts. Hopefully, it will cause him to rethink big government.

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming, I changed it in the headline from "tabs" to "tags".

I dunno, maybe it's a Minnesota thing, they call their tags, "tabs".

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-17-2011, 04:10 PM
The government has motor vehicles swathed in its genitals. Why should I be forced to pay monthly for car insurance? 7 years and no accidents. Why do I have to constantly re-register my vehicle, when nothing about it has changed? Why do I have to pay to renew my license, when nothing has changed? But if I don't renew anything, police will see that on the license plate scan, and get a hard-on pulling me over.

mczerone
12-17-2011, 04:18 PM

I doubt it. He apologized for not being a good little serf, jumped through their hoops, and gladly paid their extortions (new tags, fees, impound).

flightlesskiwi
12-17-2011, 04:20 PM
and the man is dropping out of the race!!

too bad he's prolly an establishment type. if i were running, i'd use that incident as fuel for my campaign. i'd at least attempt it!!!

Danke
12-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm assuming, I changed it in the headline from "tabs" to "tags".

I dunno, maybe it's a Minnesota thing, they call their tags, "tabs".

They are tabs here.

Other places call them tags?

coastie
12-17-2011, 08:49 PM
They are tabs here.

Yep-"Tags" in Florida, and New Hampshire, Maine, Mass, Colorado and a few other states I have lived in.

Danke
12-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Yep-"Tags" in Florida, and New Hampshire, Maine, Mass, Colorado and a few other states I have lived in.

I guess I never paid close attention. Registered cars in WI, TX, IL, MN and CO.

flightlesskiwi
12-17-2011, 08:59 PM

vehicle registration renewal.

/the grammartarian strikes and makes a mockery of you all! (including the person in the article and the reporter)

muhwahahahaha!

Anti Federalist
12-17-2011, 09:37 PM
They are tabs here.

Ya'll are weird.

Bet you call your partially gelatinated, non dairy, gum based, frozen beverages "shakes".

Danke
12-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Ya'll are weird.

Bet you call your partially gelatinated, non dairy, gum based, frozen beverages "shakes".

Don't know, I drink pop.

Anti Federalist
12-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Don't know, I drink pop.

You mean: tonic?

Danke
12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
You mean: tonic?

Texans said "coke." That was weird when I lived down there.

But RP tagged my truck with MN tabs on it.

BTW, Saturday night on a boat? Isn't there some sailor boy party/ritual you are missing out on being online?

james1906
12-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey the police acted in good faith like the article said. Sometimes they arrest people over expired registration, sometimes they choke EMTs taking patients to the hospital, and sometimes they shoot people on the bus. Why, because they love America you fucking traitors!

Danke
12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey the police acted in good faith like the article said. Sometimes they arrest people over expired registration, sometimes they choke EMTs taking patients to the hospital, and sometimes they shoot people on the bus. Why, because they love America you fucking traitors!

Yes! But a word of caution when donating to cop organizations:

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus31-donating-public-safety-fundraisers

GunnyFreedom
12-17-2011, 10:12 PM
In NC it's "plates" or "tags." This is the first I've heard of 'tabs.'

I can see how the near homophones of tabs and tags could stay well hidden though.

Danke
12-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Bottom line, don't register your car. No need for tags or tabs.

thehungarian
12-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I've gotten pulled over for expired registration. It's just a sticker on the license plate in Wisconsin.

All I got was a ticket that was far too much, but at least I wasn't accosted and arrested.

thehungarian
12-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Bottom line, don't register your car. No need for tags or tabs.

I agree with this sentiment, but in the current environment you are just asking to get pulled over on a regular basis. Especially since it seems like there are twice as many cops on meter maid and traffic duty than ever before. I can't drive to the grocery store without seeing a cop car.

Danke
12-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I agree with this sentiment, but in the current environment you are just asking to get pulled over on a regular basis. Especially since it seems like there are twice as many cops on meter maid and traffic duty than ever before. I can't drive to the grocery store without seeing a cop car.

Yes, I don't necessary recommend it, but it is a solution. Freedom isn't convenient.

GunnyFreedom
12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
code enforcement over public safety. they know who they work for.

Pericles
12-17-2011, 11:50 PM
code enforcement over public safety. they know who they work for.

You know the deal - gotta get revenue by enforcing the code to pay for the extra cops hired to enforce the code :toady:

GunnyFreedom
12-17-2011, 11:56 PM
You know the deal - gotta get revenue by enforcing the code to pay for the extra cops hired to enforce the code :toady:

lol gotta write more codes and ordinances so that all the new cops will have stuff to do while harvesting their paychecks and playgrounds from the city streets. I think every 50th code ticket is a jubilee and a free donut. Oh the free donuts come anyway...