PDA

View Full Version : Neti Pots/Sinus Rinse Devices Linked To Deadly Brain Eating Amoeba

Rael
12-17-2011, 12:07 AM
A sinus-flushing device used to relieve colds and allergies has been linked to a deadly brain-eating amoeba.

Louisiana's state health department issued a warning about neti pots - which look like mini watering cans, that are used by pouring salty water through one nostril.

It follows two recent deaths - a 51-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man from the 'brain-eating amoeba' Naegleria fowleri.

It is thought the amoeba entered their brains when they used the devices.

Both victims are thought to have used tap water, instead of distilled or sterilised water as recommended by the manufacturers.

Dr Raoult Ratard, Louisiana State Epidemiologist, said: 'If you are irrigating, flushing, or rinsing your sinuses, for example, by using a neti pot, use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution.

'Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose.'

He added that it is important to rinse the irrigation device after each use and leave open to air dry.

More...

Half of all orange juice served in cafes may contain bacteria such as salmonella, scientists say

The very rare infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater lakes and rivers.

In very rare instances, health experts said such infections may also occur when contaminated water from other sources, such as from an inadequately chlorinated swimming pool or when people irrigate their sinuses with devices like neti pots.
Naegleria fowleri (centre) and coloured images showing stained samples in brain tissue

Naegleria fowleri (left) and a stained sample seen in brain tissue

According to The Department of Health and Hospitals in Louisiana, the amoeba causes the disease primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a brain infection that leads to the destruction of brain tissue.

In its early stages, symptoms may be similar to symptoms of bacterial meningitis and can include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and stiff neck. Later symptoms include confusion, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within one to 12 days.

A spokesman from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the Louisiana cases are still being investigated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2074957/Deaths-brain-eating-amoeba-linked-sinus-remedy-colds.html

donnay
12-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Hmm...I wonder what that FluMistŪ does to a person's brain when they are misting a live virus in ones nostril?

http://www.eyeonannapolis.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/flumist1.jpg

pacelli
12-17-2011, 12:29 AM
'Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose.'

What the fuck?

James Madison
12-17-2011, 12:32 AM
I did some work on N. fowleri last semester. Very nasty parasite.

ShaneEnochs
12-17-2011, 12:39 AM
That's terrifying. My fiance swears by her neti pot. I'll have to show her this.

Jandrsn21
12-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Get a reverse osmosis water filter, with a uv light filter, then distill the water, and make sure to add the proper amount of salt. All these steps will ENSURE you get sterile water. For the pot I recommend glass and a UV light cabinet. Rinse your netti pot after each use, clean the tip really well and let it dry in the UV cabinet. I've been doing this for years now. I feel for these people I really do, it's just that there are rules for these type of things and you need to follow them!

Created4
12-17-2011, 01:02 AM
This is bogus. No proof, just nonsense speculation. Did they actually find this parasite in their tap water?? Not likely. Not to mention that nothing can reach your brain via your sinuses. Come on, think people. Neti pots have been used for thousands of years....

Kluge
12-17-2011, 01:04 AM
So... Devices are dangerous when ignoring manufacturers' instructions. Got it. Thanks for the heads-up.

dillo
12-17-2011, 01:54 AM
I blame flouride

AFPVet
12-17-2011, 02:13 AM
I have heard of parasites entering the body from swimming and such.... I wonder if certain people are susceptible to these due to weakened immune walls?

CaptainAmerica
12-17-2011, 02:17 AM
That aoemeba is more of a parasite that multiplies and eats your brain away rapidly.Id say microwave that water 2 minutes let it cool down before using it....distilled water is best though.That kind of aoemeba is found in warm stagnate waters such as lakes and ponds.

Agorism
12-17-2011, 03:00 AM
...I've never used tap water for mine.