PDA

View Full Version : Grover Cleveland? Ron Paul? History repeating itself?

hammy
12-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I jacked this from wikipedia. See if you see any similarities:

Cleveland was the leader of the pro-business Bourbon Democrats who opposed high tariffs, Free Silver, inflation, imperialism and subsidies to business, farmers or veterans. His battles for political reform and fiscal conservatism made him an icon for American conservatives of the era.[1] Cleveland won praise for his honesty, independence, integrity, and commitment to the principles of classical liberalism.[2] Cleveland relentlessly fought political corruption, patronage, and bossism. Indeed, as a reformer his prestige was so strong that the reform wing of the Republican Party, called "Mugwumps", largely bolted the GOP ticket and swung to his support in 1884.

Nate
12-17-2011, 12:04 AM
"Of all our public men of today he stands first in my reverence & admiration, & the next one stands two-hundred-&-twenty-fifth. He is the only statesman we have now. Cleveland drunk is a more valuable asset to this country than the whole batch of the rest of our public men sober. He is high-minded; all his impulses are great & pure & fine. I wish we had another of this sort." ~Mark Twain

High praise from one of America's greatest cynics. He usually reserved nothing but bitter irony, biting sarcasm & mirthful ridicule in the words he directed towards the politicians of his day but had respect for Cleveland.

phill4paul
12-17-2011, 12:14 AM
"Bourbon Democrats" for Ron Paul? Hmmm...

JoshS
12-17-2011, 12:15 AM
"Of all our public men of today he stands first in my reverence & admiration, & the next one stands two-hundred-&-twenty-fifth. He is the only statesman we have now. Cleveland drunk is a more valuable asset to this country than the whole batch of the rest of our public men sober. He is high-minded; all his impulses are great & pure & fine. I wish we had another of this sort." ~Mark Twain

High praise from one of America's greatest cynics. He usually reserved nothing but bitter irony, biting sarcasm & mirthful ridicule in the words he directed towards the politicians of his day but had respect for Cleveland.

Sounds like Ron.

green73
12-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm posting this all over tarnation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmDcgTKP3Y

ShaneEnochs
12-17-2011, 01:27 AM
I jacked this from wikipedia. See if you see any similarities:

Cleveland was the leader of the pro-business Bourbon Democrats who opposed high tariffs, Free Silver, inflation, imperialism and subsidies to business, farmers or veterans. His battles for political reform and fiscal conservatism made him an icon for American conservatives of the era.[1] Cleveland won praise for his honesty, independence, integrity, and commitment to the principles of classical liberalism.[2] Cleveland relentlessly fought political corruption, patronage, and bossism. Indeed, as a reformer his prestige was so strong that the reform wing of the Republican Party, called "Mugwumps", largely bolted the GOP ticket and swung to his support in 1884.

Is this what the Democratic Party used to be like? If so, I wish the Republican Party would move a little closer to that.

KramerDSP
12-17-2011, 01:37 AM
"Even so, his reputation for honesty and good character survived the troubles of his second term. Biographer Allan Nevins wrote, "in Grover Cleveland the greatness lies in typical rather than unusual qualities. He had no endowments that thousands of men do not have. He possessed honesty, courage, firmness, independence, and common sense. But he possessed them to a degree other men do not."[6]" - Wikipedia

Reminds me of someone....

Wolfgang Bohringer
12-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Cleveland was the leader of the pro-business Bourbon Democrats who opposed high tariffs, Free Silver, inflation, imperialism and subsidies to business, farmers or veterans...

But what about that false inaugural address (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?339014-Tribute-to-Ron-Paul-s-favorite-president!&p=3865461&viewfull=1#post3865461)?