PDA

View Full Version : Mark Steyn: Gingrich ‘in a benign sense … is a totalitarian’

Zatch
12-16-2011, 09:59 PM
“This is the problem for me,” he said. “People have deluded themselves that Newt is a conservative. He’s not. He’s kind of a big government – in a benign sense, I’m not comparing him with Mussolini – but he is a totalitarian in the sense that he believes in interconnected government solutions for everything. And what I find – that’s why the Freddie Mac thing is not a small point.”

And his payday from government-sponsored enterprise Freddie Mac “embodied” his assertion, Steyn explained.

“I mean it makes me physically nauseous how a guy can be Speaker of the House for four years then take a big office on K Street and be given $1.8 million by Freddie Mac for doing nothing,” he added. “Newt in that sense embodies the worst aspect of American public service.”

http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/16/mark-steyn-gingrich-in-a-benign-sense-is-a-totalitarian/#disqus_thread

cindy25
12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
his heroes are Lincoln, FDR and Churchill, so what else would you expect.

I wonder how he was elected in Georgia as such a big fan of Lincoln.

ShaneEnochs
12-16-2011, 10:34 PM
There is no such thing as a benign totalitarian.

cindy25
12-16-2011, 10:41 PM
There is no such thing as a benign totalitarian.

maybe the British colonial govt of Hong Kong could be defined that way; no elections, but almost total economic freedom

ShaneEnochs
12-16-2011, 10:44 PM
maybe the British colonial govt of Hong Kong could be defined that way; no elections, but almost total economic freedom

Yeah, but how's the civil liberties doing in Hong Kong?

cindy25
12-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Yeah, but how's the civil liberties doing in Hong Kong?

not British anymore (since 1997), so not going very well. but under British rule the people were as free , more free in most cases, than the rest of Asia (jury trials, no conscription)

Pericles
12-16-2011, 11:47 PM
I'd say Steyn has it figured out very well.