PDA

View Full Version : An alternate campaign strategy

AceNZ
11-08-2007, 01:06 AM
I've read on several threads that a key strategy for the campaign should be to target people "over 55", because "they are the ones most likely to vote". While that has been true in previous elections, I would like to suggest that it's not the best strategy for RP. They are the most invested in the status quo. They receive the majority of government benefits, and should be expected to put up significant resistance to any serious change (not everyone, but many). Even though RP has said that he doesn't want to "leave them on the street", I think he will often be perceived as a threat (or worse).

Instead, why not put the campaign's energy on 18 to 50 year olds? If anything focus more on the younger side, from 18 to 30. They have traditionally been the most apathetic age group. Up until now, the younger side of the US has not had a serious impact on a presidential election. RP has a good chance of curing their apathy. A significant turnout in that age group could easily overwhelm the "regular voters". Part of what this might mean is visits to a lot more universities, for example (let the students tell their parents and grandparents about RP). His anti-war position should go over particular well with people who are of draftable age (I imagine eliminating Selective Service would be part of his plan). Abolishing the income tax and the IRS, and allowing people to opt-out of social security would certainly appeal to people in the prime of their working life (25 to 50).

I'm not suggesting that we exclude anyone. But focusing our limited resources on the demographic that's most likely to accept the RP message seems like a key component of a winning strategy.

BTW, does anyone know if RP has a speech writer yet? I've read in the press (so this might be completely wrong) that he often uses a dry ages-old speech at rallies. Maybe he needs some help coming up with something more powerful? If any candidate was ripe for a powerful speech, it's definitely Ron Paul! (it's something I'd love to try my hand at if anyone would listen...)

jacmicwag
11-08-2007, 01:28 AM
i agree on the demographic focus. For speech-writing, Ron is the man with the pen.

AceNZ
11-08-2007, 02:32 AM
Any idea if the campaign would be open to a third-party-written speech? If so, who to contact?

ronpaulyourmom
11-08-2007, 02:35 AM
We should rely on grassroots and existing supporters for the most part to convert anybody under the age of 35. Six degrees of seperation, increased internet use among that demographic, make it good for non-traditional methods.

Anybody above the age of 35 should be targetted by Ron Paul's official advertising.

bootstrap
11-08-2007, 02:41 AM
I agree completely --- for the general election. However, we need to win the nomination first, and far fewer young people are registered to vote in primaries. Therefore, two different strategies may be in order.

AceNZ
11-08-2007, 02:41 AM
I'm all for using grassroots and existing supporters to target people under 35.

However, speeches and rallies are a very strong tool -- and those are most effective when RP himself shows up. Why not stump at universities?

Why focus the official advertising only at the over 35 group? Grassroots and existing supporters will help with the under 35s, but augmenting that work with some well-placed ads could be very powerful.

AceNZ
11-08-2007, 02:44 AM
However, we need to win the nomination first, and far fewer young people are registered to vote in primaries.

They aren't registered because they don't have a reason to vote. It's our job to give them that reason. Of course if the registration date has already passed, then it's too late -- but where it hasn't, why exclude the younger voters?