PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Fundraising Vs 2011 for all GOP candidates

Qdog
12-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I see a lot of people freaking out because we have not had massive, record breaking money bombs. I was worried about this too. However lets look at this logically.

Fundraising for all of the candidates is a fraction of what it was in 2007, except for Ron Paul. We are the only ones to Raise MORE in 2011 than 2007. For instance, lets compare some candidates from 2007 to 2011. I will arbitrarily substitute say Bachmann's or Gingrich's totals for say Giuliani, and other candidates that did not run both times, just for comparisons sake.

My numbers are from http://www.opensecrets.org. Note* Romney's 07 totals include the 44Million he loaned himself.

Leading 2007 Fundraising....................................... ............. Leading 2011 Fundraising

.......................... total Q3.....total Q4..............................................To tal Q3............Total Q4

Romney07.............85M.........112M............. .......Romney11................32M................ .... ?
Ron Paul07..............9M..........29M............... .....Ron Paul 11...........12.6M.................... ?
Giuliani07..............47M...........47M......... ............Perry 11..................17M.....................?
Mcain 07................44M...........54M............... ......Bachmann 11........7.5M..................... ?
Huckabee 07..........1M......Undisclosed..............Gingr ich 11...............3M .....................?

Take from this what you want... but we are light years ahead in fundraising compared to the other candidates when you compare to 4 years ago.
Anyone know of a ballapark number for how much we have raised this quarter so far? From what I have read, all the other candidates money is drying up except for Romney. Perry has about 15 Million on hand however... he is not spending his money.

The_Ruffneck
12-16-2011, 08:15 PM
are those 07 numbers correct?
ronpaulgraphs listed the entire 07/08 campaign as raising just under 35 million

Qdog
12-16-2011, 08:26 PM
are those 07 numbers correct?
ronpaulgraphs listed the entire 07/08 campaign as raising just under 35 million

Yeah, those are the numbers for TOTAL accumulated fundraising at the end of the Quarter. So Q3 includes Q1, and Q2, etc. I think Ron Raised another 5 or so mill in 1st quater of 08, so that gives about 35 million total.

The_Ruffneck
12-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Ok it's accumulative i understand now thanks

helmuth_hubener
12-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Perry is spending tons of money in Iowa, largely on commercials pandering to the religious.

newbitech
12-16-2011, 08:41 PM
big thing that really stands out to me, I mean huge.

Column 1 total for all candidates Q3 2007 = 186 million

Column 2 total for all candidates Q3 2011 = 72.1 million

HUGE drop in GOP donations from 2007. Part of me suspects that is because the Whitehouse was not going to have an incumbent. But damn, the economy is hitting hard from 4 years ago to see that big of a drop. Extrapolate out Q4

Column 1 2007 = 242 (why is Huckabee undisclosed?)
Column 2 2011 guestimate = 93.8 million

Ron Pauls share of that possibly? 40.6 million this quarter? Is that possible?

hellsingfan
12-16-2011, 08:48 PM
We're not exactly 'light years' ahead... There is no way in hell we're getting even close to 29mil this quarter.. But I sure hope we did good enough. Seriously this year was our chance, people are waking up, and unfortunately we are seriously short of money. If Ron had the capital this quarter which we gave him that time, we'd be in the sky.

I hope everyone gave everything possible. I maxed out.

kylejack
12-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I see a lot of people freaking out because we have not had massive, record breaking money bombs. I was worried about this too. However lets look at this logically.

Fundraising for all of the candidates is a fraction of what it was in 2007, except for Ron Paul. We are the only ones to Raise MORE in 2011 than 2007. For instance, lets compare some candidates from 2007 to 2011. I will arbitrarily substitute say Bachmann's or Gingrich's totals for say Giuliani, and other candidates that did not run both times, just for comparisons sake.

My numbers are from http://www.opensecrets.org. Note* Romney's 07 totals include the 44Million he loaned himself.

Leading 2007 Fundraising....................................... ............. Leading 2011 Fundraising

.......................... total Q3.....total Q4..............................................To tal Q3............Total Q4

Romney07.............85M.........112M............. .......Romney11................32M................ .... ?
Ron Paul07..............9M..........29M............... .....Ron Paul 11...........12.6M.................... ?
Giuliani07..............47M...........47M......... ............Perry 11..................17M.....................?
Mcain 07................44M...........54M............... ......Bachmann 11........7.5M..................... ?
Huckabee 07..........1M......Undisclosed..............Gingr ich 11...............3M .....................?

Take from this what you want... but we are light years ahead in fundraising compared to the other candidates when you compare to 4 years ago.
Anyone know of a ballapark number for how much we have raised this quarter so far? From what I have read, all the other candidates money is drying up except for Romney. Perry has about 15 Million on hand however... he is not spending his money.
Your 07 Q4 numbers are actually Q3 + Q4, at least for Ron Paul. Ron raised 20M in Q4 2007.

Qdog
12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
We're not exactly 'light years' ahead... There is no way in hell we're getting even close to 29mil this quarter.. But I sure hope we did good enough. Seriously this year was our chance, people are waking up, and unfortunately we are seriously short of money. If Ron had the capital this quarter which we gave him that time, we'd be in the sky.

I hope everyone gave everything possible. I maxed out.

+rep for maxing out. We raised 20 million 4th quarter 2007. 29 million was our cumalative total at end of Q4 last time. For us to raise the same total as Q4 in 07, we have to raise 17 million this quarter. I really have no idea how much we have raised so far.

kylejack
12-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Here's a better link for you. Easier to read and compare. Bottom line we're outperforming last cycle, but this quarter's 20M in 2007 might be tough to beat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_for_the_2008_United_States_presidentia l_election#4th_quarter_2007

Dr.3D
12-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the economy that's causing lower numbers.

Qdog
12-16-2011, 08:59 PM
big thing that really stands out to me, I mean huge.

Column 1 total for all candidates Q3 2007 = 186 million

Column 2 total for all candidates Q3 2011 = 72.1 million

HUGE drop in GOP donations from 2007. Part of me suspects that is because the Whitehouse was not going to have an incumbent. But damn, the economy is hitting hard from 4 years ago to see that big of a drop. Extrapolate out Q4

Column 1 2007 = 242 (why is Huckabee undisclosed?)
Column 2 2011 guestimate = 93.8 million

Ron Pauls share of that possibly? 40.6 million this quarter? Is that possible?

This is exactly what I am talking about, and why I wanted to post this information.. Even though we are not raising WAY way more than 07... the other guys are raising a small fraction of what the competition raised in 07. If we added ALL candidates fundraising totals together right now, it wouldn't even equal what JUST Romney raised this time in 07.

PS.. I dont know why I couldn't find Hukcabee's 4th quarter totals anywhere. One Article I read said his fundraising was so bad, he didn't want to talk about it ! :)

Qdog
12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Here's a better link for you. Easier to read and compare. Bottom line we're outperforming last cycle, but this quarter's 20M in 2007 might be tough to beat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_for_the_2008_United_States_presidentia l_election#4th_quarter_2007
lol I wish I had found that link when I was doing my research. Would have saved me like an hour! :)

kylejack
12-16-2011, 09:06 PM
There were more candidates in 2007, though. But yeah, I do think the GOP is having fundraising troubles this year.

HOWEVER, the pro-candidate PACS with unlimited corporate donations are a new factor. We won't know how much money went into those until after the primaries.

newbitech
12-16-2011, 09:12 PM
This is exactly what I am talking about, and why I wanted to post this information.. Even though we are not raising WAY way more than 07... the other guys are raising a small fraction of what the competition raised in 07. If we added ALL candidates fundraising totals together right now, it wouldn't even equal what JUST Romney raised this time in 07.

PS.. I dont know why I couldn't find Hukcabee's 4th quarter totals anywhere. One Article I read said his fundraising was so bad, he didn't want to talk about it ! :)

alright cool, so I don't really care to have exact numbers, but I think what you did to take the time to find this information is important to put fund-raising in to proper context.

It is not necessary to drop huge sums of money if your competitors are not. So this could also be a good political lesson for us. We are very fervent in our thinking that we must raise the most to win it all.

Just think tho, no matter how much we raise for RP as grassroots supporters, we will never be able to raise enough to compete in the general by ourselves as the hardcore support. Our efforts have to bear fruit. In that regards, it is way more import HOW that money is spent.

We can help the campaign make those dollars more effective by giving value to the message. That way, the message comes cheaply. I hope you see what I mean lol. I am a little tired =p