PDA

View Full Version : Doubts...

sergeant_x
11-08-2007, 12:53 AM
I'm wondering if Ron Paul can make the message of freedom appealing to mainstream America. The success of his campaign so far says more about the internet than it does about libertarian ideals. In the past (I know, I've been there), those of us who cared about individual liberty were split apart in isolated pockets. The internet has allowed us to come together and put some real muscle behind the dream.

That's all great, and gives me all kinds of warm fuzzies, but will it make any difference? I mean, I hate to be cynical, but nothing has changed about the makeup of society. The fact remains that most of them still don't want freedom and really want people to be controlled. They feel better knowing that everyone is under the thumb of a central authority.

That's what we're up against. Not the media, not the Democrats or the Republicans. It's the overwhelming preference of our society for conformity and order over freedom. Is there really any hope for overcoming that?

Corydoras
11-08-2007, 02:26 AM
I think that we in the hard core are apt to put things in such weighty theoretical terms that we often don't realize that we are talking about something really homespun and commonsensical.

Live and let live, both here and abroad. Be wise with your spending and make good on your debts. Make sure your money means something and don't cheapen it by devaluing it. Maintain peace from a position of strength, don't go around with a chip on your shoulder, don't go looking for fights. Don't stick your nose into other people's stuff, either interpersonally (civil liberties) or internationally (interventionism). Look after your money and save it so you can help your family and neighbors. Don't let your friends get dependent on you, let them run their lives themselves. Live and let live.

Stuff like that.

beerista
11-08-2007, 04:20 AM
I think that we in the hard core are apt to put things in such weighty theoretical terms that we often don't realize that we are talking about something really homespun and commonsensical.

Live and let live, both here and abroad. Be wise with your spending and make good on your debts. Make sure your money means something and don't cheapen it by devaluing it. Maintain peace from a position of strength, don't go around with a chip on your shoulder, don't go looking for fights. Don't stick your nose into other people's stuff, either interpersonally (civil liberties) or internationally (interventionism). Look after your money and save it so you can help your family and neighbors. Don't let your friends get dependent on you, let them run their lives themselves. Live and let live.

Stuff like that.

Think Thomas Jefferson, but channel Ben Franklin.

J4ck
11-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Every single position of Ron is rooted in the constitution. The constitution was designed to appeal to everyone - so i think it is possible.

nayjevin
11-08-2007, 04:44 AM
we have 3 things going for us:

ron's message is mainstream american

voter turnouts are pathetic - it's easy to become a delegate for instance

dr. paul cures apathy like nothing else - 2 examples:
me- i didn't care about politics anymore cause i felt it was a lost cause -- now i'm a full time activist
a roommate -- tried to talk him out of neo-con tendencies for months, a couple RP videos turned him in a snap

pcosmar
11-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Overwhelmingly Ron message sells itself. Most that I have spoken to are tired of the Crap in Washington.
The only opposition is from a few that refuse to listen.
Those that listen are pleasantly surprised at an honest and logical candidate.

sergeant_x
11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
I hope you all are right. The thing is, I've been spreading this message for twenty years, and my experience has been frustrating. Granted, RP is somewhat better 'messenger' than I am :), but I've still seen what I've seen. People today prefer their chains.

This message might have been mainstream a couple hundred years ago, but today we're considered fringe. I wish I could be more optimistic about that changing any time soon.

Fyretrohl
11-08-2007, 10:43 AM
One thought I have had...How to tap those who support Ron's stances without apparently realizing it. How come Lou Dobb's is not screaming about Paul? What about his 'Independents' that are going to win?

ConstitutionGal
11-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I was having a pessimistic week myself about two weeks ago but two things perked me back up and turned my Pollyanna side back on:

1. November 5th and;

2. About twoo weeks ago I had a life-long democrat ask me about the rather large-sized Ron Paul magnet that covers most of the trunk of my car. When I got through explaining why I supported Dr. Paul, I gave him a Liberty Card to take with him. He came back by my office about a week ago and wanted Ron Paul bumper stickers to give to people HE had now 'converted' who were "having to soap Ron Paul on their truck windows". These men are ALL over 60 years old, all farmers and ALL life-long democrats. If these men (who are now spreading the 'word' in their churches and farmer's cooperatives) can be convinced to vote republican because of the message, there is truly Hope for America and, for now, it is resting in Dr. Paul.

sergeant_x
11-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I was having a pessimistic week myself about two weeks ago but two things perked me back up and turned my Pollyanna side back on:

1. November 5th and;

2. About twoo weeks ago I had a life-long democrat ask me about the rather large-sized Ron Paul magnet that covers most of the trunk of my car. When I got through explaining why I supported Dr. Paul, I gave him a Liberty Card to take with him. He came back by my office about a week ago and wanted Ron Paul bumper stickers to give to people HE had now 'converted' who were "having to soap Ron Paul on their truck windows". These men are ALL over 60 years old, all farmers and ALL life-long democrats. If these men (who are now spreading the 'word' in their churches and farmer's cooperatives) can be convinced to vote republican because of the message, there is truly Hope for America and, for now, it is resting in Dr. Paul.

That's a great story. Maybe I can tell one of my own like that soon. :) Thanks

ConstitutionGal
11-08-2007, 11:08 AM
That's a great story. Maybe I can tell one of my own like that soon. :) Thanks

Be sure to get a Ron Paul t-shirt and wear it where ever you go - they're GREAT conversation starters while waiting in check-out lines, etc. You may also want to get some Liberty Cards or some Slim-jims to keep in your pockets (the Liberty cards are easier to carry, IMHO). If I run into a potential Ron Paul supporter, I give them one card and if I run into someone who already supports him, I give them several so they can use them to spread the message.

NEVER miss an opportunity to spread the message and you'll eventually start getting enough good feedback to keep your spirits HIGH!

Wendi
11-08-2007, 01:37 PM
All we can do is fight one battle at a time. We'll win some, and we'll lose some. But winning the WAR is what counts. The war is for freedom and a restoration of liberty and justice in this nation. It is bigger than you, it is bigger than me, it is bigger than all of us together. It is bigger than a straw poll or a debate or even this whole campaign when you really think about it. And it ain't over until WE WIN.